Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Identify This Illness - Update in 14

The past few days DD has been getting a wet cough at night. She will cough throught the night but be seemingly better in the morning.

Last night it got worse but she acted normal today until about 6pm

She got hoarse and cranky. We were at my BIL's house so we came home. She has a fever of 102 and is lethargic.

She has 3 blisters on the front of her tongue but I cannot see the back of her throat. She won't open up enough for me to shine a pen light in.

She told me "I hurt"

She is reluctant to drink or eat. She at this morning but did not eat dinner.

I am worried because she did not have a fever the other nights and the fever came about very quickly. She went from normal to 102 in about an hour.

I gave her 1 tsp of Ibuprofen and will piggyback generic Tylenol in 2 hours.

I was thinking she could have strep but I don't remember a wet cough with strep. Any ideas?

FYI if her temp goes up to 104 with the meds we will be going to the ER

ETA: I just googled strep throat symptoms in toddlers and it says that there can be congestion. Would you take your toddler to the ER if you suspected strep?
    Last edited by shawnandangel; 01-23-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Maybe ask the mods to move?

Blisters generally = Cox Sackie, or HFM disease. Makes it really hard to eat.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082600.asp
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Lyra 12/30/02 49", 65# in Literiders
    Cree 03/16/06 41.5", 39# in a PW and B510
    Nash 03/30/08 39.5", 36# FF in a MA65 and RN65

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Oh crap didn't mean to post in this forum. an you tell I'm upset? Mods please move to lounge
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Cough at night + sounding hoarse at first sounded like maybe croup to me, but then the blisters...? Blisters in mouth + fever + painful, not eating does sound like HFM disease. Hope she feels better soon!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Screaming Cocksackie to me, or HFM. I only mention Cocksackie first cuz you didn't mention a rash anywhere else. Blisters on tongue are the major indicator for me here. Get her into the doc asap. Poor girlie. Hope she gets better soon.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I thought maybe HFM but maybe only because we have experience with that but not the other things. It could be HFM, in which case I wouldn't personally do ER automatically, but I would call pedi and see what he/she advises and go with that.

I called the nurse hotline and they told me to wait and see. I woke DD up to take her temp and looked in her mouth again and I don't see any blisters now. Maybe I was imagining or she had bit her tongue. I had dh look too and he didn't see any blisters either.

I took off part of her jammies and there is no rash and no blisters on feet or hands.

DD's temp is down to 99.8 with just Ibuprofen.

I really hope it isn't hfm because I start OB clinicals on Monday. It's just orientation so I won't be hands on with any new babies but I don't want to be around anyone if I'm possibly carrying a very contagious illness!
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

She sounds better! Hope that continues.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The symptoms sound like DD. She tested positive for strep yesterday. I would take her for a throat swab. Hope she feels better soon.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast