DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default UPDATE! My photo project (s/o of massive purge thread)

I got my CD and photos returned in the mail today. WOW, that was FAST!!!!!

I am very pleased with the way everything turned out. I had my photos grouped by year and they made folders of the years on the CD. Now I can keep track of it all! And some point I might get around to making photobooks of all the stuff. LOL

Just yesterday I bought a Groupon for a different service--ScanDigital--so we'll see how that one goes. I know DH has some slides he wants scanned, so maybe I'll let him use this one.

----------------------------
    I posted about my photo project in that thread.

I purchased a YouSwoop (like Groupon) a while back for scanning of old photos. The deal is for 500 photos.

I already had my loose photos arranged & stored by year, so I had a head start. I took those out and started going through them starting with 1997, which is the year DH and I met. I weeded out the doubles, out of focus, pics with ex-H's, etc. I thought I had a good handle on it.

Earlier this week, I realized I had albums with pics in them too. So I pulled those out today. I spent about 2 hours locked in my bedroom with the photos strewn all over my king size bed while I watched some DVDs.

After compiling all my photos from 1997 and 1998, I ended up with 550 photos to send in. WOW!!!!! This includes our wedding, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Now I'll be waiting for the next scanning deal and I'll keep going. In the meantime, I am going to finish 1999-2003 (we bought our digital camera in 2004) so that will cover our life as a family. Then I'll start going backwards and do my college years and earlier. This will clear up some storage space allowing us to move some things in from the garage and actually park a car in there! Imagine that!

I'm going through Memento Scanning www.mementoscanning.com. We'll see how it turns out.

The 550 I have ready are all boxed up and the the Priority Mail label is already on it. I'll drop it off at the PO first thing Monday. Just wanted to share today's accomplishment.
    Last edited by DebbieJ; 02-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow! that's sounds fantastic! I would love to have all of my photos scanned. I took a bunch in from our honeymoon years ago and had them done at costco. Please followup and let us know what you think about the scanning service. I'm anxious to hear how you like their work. Good luck on the rest of the project!
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

yeah! I hope they turn out well!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

updated in first post
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

reneed is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I want to do this so bad but I am so afraid my pictures would get lost. I would DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by reneed View Post
    I want to do this so bad but I am so afraid my pictures would get lost. I would DIE!
    I'm sure there are some local places that would do this for you so you don't have to mail them out.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Awesome! Are you planning to throw away the prints now that the images are digitized?
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfirsttimemom View Post
    Awesome! Are you planning to throw away the prints now that the images are digitized?
    Yep, they're on the curb right now!

I am going to load the digital images on my computer AND my external hard drive that I use for backup as well as keep the CD. That way I should be covered.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009