TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help me pick a diaper bag for a friend!

I have a friend who is due in just a few days, and she doesn't have a diaper bag yet. She doesn't want to spend a lot of money, isn't sure what she wants, and isn't even sure if she needs one (ha! :P). So I thought I would get her a diaper bag (with a gift receipt, of course, since I know everyone's taste is different!) and fill it with some necessities, eg, a travel pack of wipes, some diaper cream, a few burp cloths, and a little toy. But I'm not sure what to get her. The Skip Hop Dash Deluxe? The JJCole Mode bag? An Eddie Bauer? Here's what I am looking for:

$50 or less (more if I can use a coupon, and she really doesn't want a high-end bag anyway)
    Available at BRU or Target (so that I can pick it up this week and also so it is easy for her to return)
    Gender neutral
    Not too feminine

Basically, I'm looking for a great, all-around, general purpose diaper bag. Any recommendations?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I'm on my thrid kids and have a bag thing so I have had several. I just bought one from buy buy baby and its a Baby Mel. I had never really heard of them before but I'm am very happy with the purchase it's turning out to be one of my favorite diaper bags.

It's a little more than 50 (I think it was 89) but if you have a 20% off buy buy baby coupon or bed bath and beyond coupon it will get closer to the 50 you want to spend. You can sign up for their email notices and they will send youa 20% coupon via email right away.
    Mom to DS1 ('06), DD ('08) and DS2 ('10)

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diegosmom View Post
    I'm on my thrid kids and have a bag thing so I have had several. I just bought one from buy buy baby and its a Baby Mel. I had never really heard of them before but I'm am very happy with the purchase it's turning out to be one of my favorite diaper bags.

It's a little more than 50 (I think it was 89) but if you have a 20% off buy buy baby coupon or bed bath and beyond coupon it will get closer to the 50 you want to spend. You can sign up for their email notices and they will send youa 20% coupon via email right away.
    Is it the Amanda bag? That would be perfect for her, except that I won't be near a BBB until next month, and I was hoping to bring the gift to the hospital when I go to see her after the baby is born (the baby is due tomorrow, so very possibly some time this week). Is there anything similar to the BabyMel, other than the Versa, that is available at BRU brick and mortar?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Kaylee31 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like the JJ Cole & Skip Hops at Target. I can't find it on the website, but they have a new JJ Cole style (the Loft) for $40 that I bought last week. Mine is the cherry blossom pattern (gray & red), but they had a couple of other colors too. I also have a Kalencom & a JJ Cole Theory, but I get bored of the same bag. This is my favorite so far, and it was the cheapest of the 3.
    DS - 07/09 - Mr. Tempermental
    DD - 02/12 - Dollface
    New arrival expected 06/14

We live where there are no good baby shops. Target is the only spot to even look. They usually have some nice j. J. Cole or skiphops choices at least.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~