Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Cleaning top loader HE washer?

We got a top loading HE washer about 2 mos ago. It says you're supposed to use a Clean cycle with bleach every 30 washes. Which of course I haven't done.

But now, it's smelling funky in the laundry room so it must be time. I'm not thrilled to clean it w/bleach b/c I'm convinced the next load will come out with bleach marks.

Can I use vinegar with the Clean cycle? I Googled and found a thread on Gardenweb that you should NEVER use vinegar in the washer or dishwasher - OOPS!! I do it all the time.

How do you clean your HE washer?
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually use those Affresh tablets, alone on a hot cycle. But I have a front-loader, not a top-loader.

(ETA to remove my comment about leaving the door open -- that's just for front-loaders.)

I have a new HE top loader and I have used both Tide washing machine cleaner and affresh. You don't have to worry about bleach being left behind because the washer does a really good job of rinsing itself out.
    This is a good deal on the tide washing machine cleaner:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tide-Washing-M...7704572&sr=8-6
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
    (ETA to remove my comment about leaving the door open -- that's just for front-loaders.)
    Actually, the guys that installed my HE top loader last month told me that agitator-less top loaders are effectively the same as front loaders. So I've been leaving the door open, plus I periodically do a bleach cycle.
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

I use affresh with my top loader HE. Mine has a sensor that turns on every 30 washer to remind me to use the affresh. I often wait a bit longer, though.

I also use vinegar on a regular basis in the fabric softer despenser without problems. I have had the washer for 2years and no problems.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have a regular top loader, and I do something like this...actually, I'm going to do it now. I'm way overdue on doing it.

http://www.diylife.com/2007/07/15/wa...chine-hygiene/

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Slight hijack - for those of you that use washing machine cleaner rather than bleach, do you find it works better? My FL is 6 years old, so the self-clean directions specify using bleach, but if the cleaner works better on build up, I'd definitely use that some or all of the time. We have hard-ish water, FWIW.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use the Tide packets. The only thing I don't love is that the fragrance is *really* strong. Not sure if Affresh is better or not.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the responses! Well, it needed cleaning REALLY badly, I couldn't stand the smell in the laundry room. So I just did the bleach. Next load is whites (or things I don't mind getting bleach stains) so hopefully it won't be a problem.

It's amazing how much better it smells!! But I think I am going to look into some other solutions for next time, either vinegar or the tablets.

Oh, and I do always leave the top open, it's just a habit I have, good or bad.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please