Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Little Touches

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're going in March, so no BTDT, but I think I am going to bring a roll of quarters and pennies for the penny press machines. Apparently there are a ton of them and DS has enjoyed making them at other places.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Are you crafty at all? I make Disney T's and pj's for our trips. You can even do no-sew T's by just ironing on an applique Mickey head. I'll talk you through it if that sort of thing interests you.

Tinkerbell leaves little presents in the car on the ride down, and then in the room some nights. I've seen the same presents at the Dollar Tree, the dollar area at Michaels, and the dollar spot at Target.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I guess if it were me, I would not emphasize the souvenir part of things that much, My kids are not that into souvenirs. I tell them I will buy them one thing, and invariably each girl picks out a small stuffed animal. But they like being able to pick out something there. I encourage them to look around at each park and then get something a few days in.

I sometimes get t-shirts at the Disney store ahead of time. I try to get matching shirts for the 3 of us and we get some great photos that way. You can get them very, very cheap if you hit them at clearance time and are not picky about the character.

My kids are all about the experiences in the parks.

Kim Possible Adventures in Epcot: a big scavenger hunt in Epcot, very cool

autographs and character hunts: older DD is aging out of this, but she still likes it. We enjoy trying to find the more obscure characters.

I agree that glow bracelets and necklaces are a big hit.

If you have a princess dress / knight costumes, bring them. Your 4 kids all dressed up in costume would get a lot of positive attention from the characters and other WDW employees. I have the most adorable picture of younger DD as a baby in costume being held by Peter Pan.

Be friendly and chat with cast members. My girls again invariably get free pins, stickers, etc. just from chatting with workers. They all have a stash of this stuff to give away.

You could get the kids hair cuts at the MK barber shop. It's quite cheap and fun.
    Last edited by egoldber; 01-26-2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks guys! You've all got awesome tips!

I'm sure I could do PJ bottoms.. not sure about the tops, though. I don't have much experience sewing jersey.

I really like the idea of costumes, but 1) I have nothing for Niall except a fleece dragon, 2) no princess dress but we do have a very pink, sequined dress I could have her wear, 3) only one knight costume, and it would probably be pretty hot (it's black). Buying all new costumes isn't in the budget, unfortunately. I'm trying to find a Minnie costume/outfit for Fiona because Minnie is her favorite by far.. but $50 at the Disney Store is more than I want to spend. Really wish we had started planning this earlier and I could've hit the big sale.

We'll definitely do autographs and the pennies.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post
    I'm trying to find a Minnie costume/outfit for Fiona because Minnie is her favorite by far..

Minnie is the easiest costume to make. Get either pink with large white polka dots or red with large white polka dot fabric and make a basic elastic waist skirt. Pair with either a white or black top. Add mouse ears (buy there!), easy cheap costume!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Minnie is the easiest costume to make. Get either pink with large white polka dots or red with large white polka dot fabric and make a basic elastic waist skirt. Pair with either a white or black top. Add mouse ears (buy there!), easy cheap costume!
    Oh my gosh.. you're totally right. I never thought of that. I even have something I could use as a petticoat underneath that I was going to bring anyway. Thanks so much!

If you want to limit the amount of souvenirs/stuff purchased in the parks, you could get them a gift card from the Disney store before the trip with a preset limit, and that is what they can spend at the theme parks. DS and DD each got a $10 Disney giftcard with pictures of their favorite characters as a stocking stuffer before our trip, and they understood that is what they could spend on the trip. That made them think carefully before making a purchase, and once the amount on the gift card was used up, they knew not to ask for anything else. Both kids kept to their limit, and it really minimized the souvenirs/junk we brought home from the parks. It also taught them some about the value of money and was a great chance to practice some math skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post
    Great ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt for landmarks (I think they'd be disappointed if they didn't find all the characters on the list). I could print out images ahead of time and maybe even laminate it (they love dry erase markers). I tried Googling a list of landmarks but didn't find anything.. any suggestions? I can figure out the big ones, but it's been over ten years since I've been, so I need some help.

Thanks!
    I remember seeing a Hidden Mickeys guide book at Disney World, and actually saw some people walking around with the book in hand to spot Hidden Mickeys. Just a thought for something fun to do. DS and DD also loved the activities they can do at Epcot, all of which were free. The Kim Possible Adventure was a big hit. DS did all seven countries over two afternoons while DD napped. The Kidcot tables were also a big hit, as were the penny machines, the Epcot world showcase passports and the autograph books for when they met characters. FWIW, you can make your own autograph book or just purchase blank index cards to slip into a photo album. Pair that with a black Sharpie pen, you are in business. DS and DD also liked Innoventions at Epcot a lot because they got to do a lot of fun things. Like Beth said, my DCs got a lot more out of their experiences at WDW than the souvenirs purchased there.

I don't make the tops, just the bottoms. I pair them with whatever cheapy T's I can find at Target or ON. I usually make a couple of pairs for the grown-ups too. Why should the kids have all of the fun? LOL You really don't even need a pattern, especially for the kids. Just trace the leg of an existing set, then cut it from folded fabric. You can make a pair in about 15 mins after you figure it out. If you buy a a lot of one type of fabric, you can use a coupon at Joann's or Hobby Lobby to make it more affordable.

I've seen really cute Minnie swing tops. I'm going to dig up some pics. You can also cut out a Mickey head from fabric backed with Heat and Bond and iron that on, then attach a bow- super easy.

I'll be back.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Ok, don't laugh, I'm not a seamstress!
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ghlight=shirts

I made more last year, and they cam out a little better. Forget those detailed appliques serious PITB, but the Mickey heads are a 5 min project. The McQueen one was even easier.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2593021
    This is from Disboards. If you look in the FAQ, there's a link to the Photobucket account and the password. There are a ton of cute Minnie tops

How to do applique', but you don't really have to sew them on- you can just iron on.
    http://disboutique.blogspot.com/2008...-tutorial.html

Minnie with a bow
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/59646695...me=sherbetbaby
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast