Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need advice about swollen, sore lymph nodes in back of head

I have had pain and swelling on the back lower left side of my head for the past few days. I assume this could be enlarged lymph nodes. They are very sore and hard. I know that swollen lymph nodes often result when the body is fighting an infection. But what kind of infection could cause swelling in this location, and only on one side? I don't have any upper respiratory symptoms. I didn't take my temp but don't feel feverish. Any ideas? It won't be easy to get to the doc today and maybe not tomorrow, as we're having a big snowstorm. Is it ok to wait this out, or is it something I should really be seen for ASAP?
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would try to get seen as soon as you can. I had one a couple years ago at the base of my neck. It wasn't painful, though. I went to walk-in clinic because it freaked me out. The doc there put me on meds and told me to follow up with my PCP. He told me it could be related to post-nasal drainage, but then asked me if my teeth had been bothering me. I did in fact have a tooth that was sort of bothering me, but didn't think much about it. The antibiotics worked and the knot went down in a few days. The PCP agreed it was either related to the drainage or possibly a tooth infection.

I hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal View Post
    I would try to get seen as soon as you can. I had one a couple years ago at the base of my neck. It wasn't painful, though. I went to walk-in clinic because it freaked me out. The doc there put me on meds and told me to follow up with my PCP. He told me it could be related to post-nasal drainage, but then asked me if my teeth had been bothering me. I did in fact have a tooth that was sort of bothering me, but didn't think much about it. The antibiotics worked and the knot went down in a few days. The PCP agreed it was either related to the drainage or possibly a tooth infection.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks for the reply. I actually wondered about a tooth infection, too. I do have an area on the right side of my mouth where the lower gum seems a bit raised and little sore. (This is opposite side from the swollen node, though). My dentist keeps saying I need work done because I have fillings that are failing, and if they wouldn't get replaced I could risk needing a root canal later. Hope an abscess or something isn't happening. I don't really have tooth pain, though. Argh. This stinks. I really don't want to have to schlep to the doc's, but I guess I might need to get a med in case this is a bacterial infection of some type.

Quote Originally Posted by PAfirsttimemom View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I actually wondered about a tooth infection, too. I do have an area on the right side of my mouth where the lower gum seems a bit raised and little sore. (This is opposite side from the swollen node, though). My dentist keeps saying I need work done because I have fillings that are failing, and if they wouldn't get replaced I could risk needing a root canal later. Hope an abscess or something isn't happening. I don't really have tooth pain, though. Argh. This stinks. I really don't want to have to schlep to the doc's, but I guess I might need to get a med in case this is a bacterial infection of some type.
    Mine was on the opposite side, too, and my tooth didn't hurt all the time either. It bothered me when I brushed my teeth or ate something too cold. I was aware of it, but never really considered going to the dentist for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LarsMal View Post
    Mine was on the opposite side, too, and my tooth didn't hurt all the time either. It bothered me when I brushed my teeth or ate something too cold. I was aware of it, but never really considered going to the dentist for it.
    Interesting. Did you ever have to get anything done to the tooth then?

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Swollen lymph nodes are not to be taken lightly. You may have a simple cold virus that hasn't manifested in the common ways yet, or it could be tooth-related. Or it could be something very serious. Get thineself to your regular doctor immediately.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Interesting. Did you ever have to get anything done to the tooth then?
    No, the meds took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Swollen lymph nodes are not to be taken lightly. You may have a simple cold virus that hasn't manifested in the common ways yet, or it could be tooth-related. Or it could be something very serious. Get thineself to your regular doctor immediately.
    Thanks. Not going to make it today because of the snowstorm, but will try to get to doc tomorrow or Friday if I continue to have symptoms.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks. Not going to make it today because of the snowstorm, but will try to get to doc tomorrow or Friday if I continue to have symptoms.
    Sending mojo.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Sending mojo.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast