Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No, NMS. I like that wood can hide more too.

Beth

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had wood colored cabinets in most of our homes but we just moved into a new home this year with white cabinets and I actaully really like them. And I like them because they DONT hide the dirt, etc like the dark ones do, so I know they are clean. We cook a lot and I find them easy to keep clean - just occasionally wipe them down. Love how bright the kitchen is with them too.

We sanded & painted our wood cabinets white 18 months ago, and we love them. Everyone who comes over thinks we installed new cabinets actually, they look soooo much better than they did. We added brushed nickel pulls & knobs, and have charcoal grey countertops with oak colored Pergo floors and happy green walls. The combination works together really well and it feels very open and full of light, even on cloudy days. They do require wiping down, but wood does too.

If you are painting wood, one tip I have is: if at all possible, use a paint sprayer to do your cabinet doors. We painted the cabinet faces by hand, but took all of the doors and drawer fronts out of the house and sprayed them. The paint is nice and even, which would have been impossible since they are beveled, and we were able to do several coats very quickly.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have maple and I would love to have white cabinets!! My neighbor refinished her cabinets and they are a distressed white and look beautiful.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Cream with a warm glaze, yes.

Just white- definite NMS. Bad for resale too, at least in my area.

I would love white kitchen cabs and am seriously considering them for the kitchen remodel we will undertake when I finish my dissertation this spring.
    DD '06
    DD '14

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    oh good...we may look into Ikea... glad you like them!
    If you are thinking about Ikea, this is a great resource. These ladies/guys are great!
    http://www.ikeafans.com/

I have white cabinets and i love how they look when they are clean. My advice, don't let them get dirty. After I finish cleaning up dinner, I take a chlorox wipe and wipe down the cabinets (takes maybe 3 minutes) and it keeps them nice and bright. If you don't do this (i.e. when DH cooks....) it takes a lot of elbow grease to get the stains out.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2