Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

i hate it too. but of course after dd seeing her friends hand out gifts for their birthdays, she is looking forward to doing the same. we have received some nice stuff as well as the bag o crap. the bag of crap is the worst because not only do we know have a ton junk that we didn't need to want, i know that the person spent too much money on it.

in the past we have tried to do a single nicer item. we did the wikki stix party packs one and a yummy earth lolly pop one year. we have also done dollar store activity books and discounted books from scholastic.

i miss the good old days when everyone brought in cupcakes on their birthday. i really do not understand this new trend.
    i understand the no food rule, i just don't understand the idea of giving gifts to everyone in the class. it seems meaningless, not thoughtful.

Homemade playdough with a cheap cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by fortato View Post
    Homemade playdough with a cheap cookie cutter.
    Oh my goodness, I was coming to post this exact thing!

I made gingerbread play dough and tied it in a bag with a cookie cutter for DD's preschool class for Christmas. It went over very well.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    I don't understand this cult of the oriental trading catolog that has popped up.
    LMAO at this!! It is so true!! For Lula's birthday (we were the first in her class, it is traditional at the school to do gifts though, so I felt I needed to participate) we gave each child a set of watercolor paints.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Here is what has been a big hit:
    1. Mini playdoh
    2. Glow bracelets (target sells a 12 pack in the dollar spot)
    3. Stickers. You can buy a 100 roll of animal zoo stickers on amazon.com for $4 and then cut it up into pieces for each child to have a few.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS has already asked what he will be giving out so I'm stuck there...

Thanks for the ideas.

Personally I hate hate hate Playdoh so I wouldn't give it out.

I think someone mentioned Michael's and I checked there and they had quite a big variety of 1.00 items....bubbles are a hit here and are easy to give out, no packaging required. I also saw a cute magnifying glass for kids for a 1.00, now does Michael's ever have those 40% of entire purchase coupons or just one item...cause then I'd be so happy.

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can you make a donation to the classroom that all the kids could enjoy? What about some class goldfish or a ladybug or similar science kit?? New books to look at?

I like the idea of stickers..... How about some sidewalk chalk for when the weather is nicer??

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zag95 View Post
    Can you make a donation to the classroom that all the kids could enjoy? What about some class goldfish or a ladybug or similar science kit?? New books to look at?

I like the idea of stickers..... How about some sidewalk chalk for when the weather is nicer??
    Great idea!

The only gifty thing that I can recommend is buying the wood shapes on a wooden dowel from AC Moore and decoratively write the kids' names on them with fabric paint (usually with at least one shade of sparkly paint). Then, tie some sparkly ribbon around the base...magic wand. I've done this for several years...it's been well-received by both kids & parents. I usually make them for the teachers as well...the kids get a kick out of that. Hearts or flowers for girls...stars for boys. After valentine's day, the hearts are usually reduced to $0.30 each. If I cannot find the stars, I get the boys little cars. I think Walmart has multipacks of diecast cars on clearance. I usually don't mind spending a little extra bc living away from family we usually didn't have a birthday party...school party was generally it in preschool along with a special immediate family treat night. HTH. I love doing these just bc it is usually my only crafty thing that I do, other than coloring with the kids. For the other crafts that we do, I am usually helping them and do not get to do one of my own.

That being said,
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    Great idea!

The only gifty thing that I can recommend is buying the wood shapes on a wooden dowel from AC Moore and decoratively write the kids' names on them with fabric paint (usually with at least one shade of sparkly paint). Then, tie some sparkly ribbon around the base...magic wand. I've done this for several years...it's been well-received by both kids & parents. I usually make them for the teachers as well...the kids get a kick out of that. Hearts or flowers for girls...stars for boys. After valentine's day, the hearts are usually reduced to $0.30 each. If I cannot find the stars, I get the boys little cars. I think Walmart has multipacks of diecast cars on clearance. I usually don't mind spending a little extra bc living away from family we usually didn't have a birthday party...school party was generally it in preschool along with a special immediate family treat night. HTH. I love doing these just bc it is usually my only crafty thing that I do, other than coloring with the kids. For the other crafts that we do, I am usually helping them and do not get to do one of my own.
    You are waaay overestimating my ability to create what sounds lovely..am thinking bubbles or chalk will be the way to go, I'll have to spend 17.00 but it's pretty easy. I his 2 class I did bubbles and with extra xmas ribbon, red I think I made a little card that said Thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday, and DS's name"

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    You are waaay overestimating my ability to create what sounds lovely..am thinking bubbles or chalk will be the way to go, I'll have to spend 17.00 but it's pretty easy. I his 2 class I did bubbles and with extra xmas ribbon, red I think I made a little card that said Thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday, and DS's name"
    Ha!!! That's funny bc I think that is too much work! Writing all of that on a card and tying it on...too much work! Sparkly paint...write out the name...put some fancy dots around the edges...write "From, ______" on the back when dry...done!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast