Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some more info from the FDA about raw milk:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/P...22062.htm#safe

I don't actually really drink milk myself, so don't have an opinion as to taste, but would personally be a bit wary. Note that some of the common pathogens in raw milk are particularly a problem for small children, immunocompromised people and pregnant women; may or may not be that dangerous for healthy adults.

(And actually I'm skeptical about food safety in general and agree you can get sick from pasteurized milk too; I get my milk from a local farm that seems trustworthy, but it's pasteurized.)
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

Note: it has been noted that the FDA *may* be very biased... there is a huge potential for conflict of interest (dairy industry's relationship with government, school milk programs, etc.). I don't know the details, just want to point this out... the FDA would not be the first place I would turn for information on this subject.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieSmith View Post
    Note: it has been noted that the FDA *may* be very biased... there is a huge potential for conflict of interest (dairy industry's relationship with government, school milk programs, etc.). I don't know the details, just want to point this out... the FDA would not be the first place I would turn for information on this subject.

This sounds like a conspiracy theory...
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    This sounds like a conspiracy theory...
    You may say so, I did not go that far. In fact, I *cannot*, I don't know the inner workings, I think I made that clear.

ps: having difficulty reading the tone of your post, please clear up if it seems I am reading incorrectly.

I would have to say that after reading the FDA webpage, some of those points are matters of OPINION, not fact, and some of them have been proven in scientific studies and published journal articles to be the opposite of what they are saying. But they would of course spin it differently.

I think the big thing comes down to freedom of choice. Americans are allowed to smoke cigarettes that most likely will cause lung cancer. Or drink alcohol which has the potential to lead to alcoholism. Or eat trans fats which can cause heart disease. Because it's a personal choice of what we put into our bodies. And yet, it is illegal in more than half the US states to sell raw milk for human consumption. I don't need the government making the choice for me. Let them slap a warning label on it if they choose, like cigs. and lung cancer, or alcohol being bad for pregnant women. But give me my freedom to make that choice for myself gosh darn it!
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BarbieSmith View Post
    I personally think you are way off base on this. JMO.

FYI- School lunch program and many other parts of the milk industry are under USDA not FDA.

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    i would have to say that after reading the fda webpage, some of those points are matters of opinion, not fact, and some of them have been proven in scientific studies and published journal articles to be the opposite of what they are saying. But they would of course spin it differently.

I think the big thing comes down to freedom of choice. Americans are allowed to smoke cigarettes that most likely will cause lung cancer. Or drink alcohol which has the potential to lead to alcoholism. Or eat trans fats which can cause heart disease. Because it's a personal choice of what we put into our bodies. And yet, it is illegal in more than half the us states to sell raw milk for human consumption. I don't need the government making the choice for me. Let them slap a warning label on it if they choose, like cigs. And lung cancer, or alcohol being bad for pregnant women. But give me my freedom to make that choice for myself gosh darn it!
    amen sistah!
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    I would have to say that after reading the FDA webpage, some of those points are matters of OPINION, not fact, and some of them have been proven in scientific studies and published journal articles to be the opposite of what they are saying. But they would of course spin it differently.

I think the big thing comes down to freedom of choice. Americans are allowed to smoke cigarettes that most likely will cause lung cancer. Or drink alcohol which has the potential to lead to alcoholism. Or eat trans fats which can cause heart disease. Because it's a personal choice of what we put into our bodies. And yet, it is illegal in more than half the US states to sell raw milk for human consumption. I don't need the government making the choice for me. Let them slap a warning label on it if they choose, like cigs. and lung cancer, or alcohol being bad for pregnant women. But give me my freedom to make that choice for myself gosh darn it!

Jenn27 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Corie, when I saw this post I knew it had to be you! Great info!! I'm still not sure how I feel. I believe, like others said, that Red Sun is a milkshare. I really want local milk but am so torn on whether I want to go raw. I do know, that after Monsanto approved the GM alfalfa, I fear we will never have commercial 'organic' dairy products so I need to find something!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6