Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default My shameful house

Does anybody else ever look around your home and think: how can we live like this???

We have good hygiene standards in most areas but, yikes, our house has these little pockets of filth sometimes! Like, the grungy lint that's collected around the bathroom baseboard. Dustbunnies in the hall. Mud by the back door. Old food splatters on the kitchen cabinet fronts. That kind of thing.

It just seems like we barely keep up with tidying up clutter, laundry, dishes and keeping clean food prep areas. We rarely get to that "deep" cleaning stuff.

We do keep eyes on Sprog to make sure she stays away from those dirty corners ... but it sure would be nice to have a cleaning fairy!

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Oh, I feel your pain. Most of our 'grunge' is courtesy of our two dogs-how two dogs with a combined weight of 32 pounds can shed as much as a lab is beyond me, but they manage to do just that. I'm constantly vacuuming/dust mopping our hard floors and have banished them from our carpets, but it's impossible to keep up with. Now that DD is a crawler I have to admit I'm going sightly nuts trying to keep her out of dog hair.
    My little leprechaun is becoming a toddler! Redheaded DD 03/10

Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm drowning in my home presently. I just feel overwhelmed. I have a one year old who is a total and all consuming presence at the moment. I want to make more of the house baby proofed, but what do I do with him while I do it? I want to purge and reorganize and clean thoroughly, but frankly I'm lucky to pee alone once a day right now, so that's mostly fantasy. It's frustrating. I just need a little time but the days keep passing and we are in triage mode always.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Three moves is as good as a fire for housekeeping. I don't know what I'm going to do when DH retires and we don't move every few years. Drown in my own mess, I expect!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    I'm drowning in my home presently. I just feel overwhelmed. I have a one year old who is a total and all consuming presence at the moment. I want to make more of the house baby proofed, but what do I do with him while I do it? I want to purge and reorganize and clean thoroughly, but frankly I'm lucky to pee alone once a day right now, so that's mostly fantasy. It's frustrating. I just need a little time but the days keep passing and we are in triage mode always.
    Amen sister!

Our life seems a bit less stressful than yours, we have family happy to take Sprog off our hands for a few hours. But when they do, we're dying to eat out ... veg out ... or *ahem* ... so the cleaning STILL doesn't get done.

Born November, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    Three moves is as good as a fire for housekeeping. I don't know what I'm going to do when DH retires and we don't move every few years. Drown in my own mess, I expect!
    Wow, what kind of work does he do that moves the family so often? I love our home but kinda wish we could do the kind of purge that happens with a move! DH is a packrat.

Born November, 2009

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Um, yeah. We have the FP Space Saver high chair--you know the one that straps onto a kitchen chair? I made the mistake of looking behind/under it tonight. I'm sure if I was motivated to unstrap it and clean it I would be pretty grossed out at what I found.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Edensmum View Post
    Thank you for sharing this. DS2 is 16 months and constantly on the go. DS1 needs pretty close supervision also otherwise he'll veg with the tv/computer/Wii for HOURS if we let him. We are in triage mode too. I can't remember the last time DH and I had quality time together.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

blue is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieJ View Post
    Um, yeah. We have the FP Space Saver high chair--you know the one that straps onto a kitchen chair? I made the mistake of looking behind/under it tonight. I'm sure if I was motivated to unstrap it and clean it I would be pretty grossed out at what I found.
    Nooo, Do Not unstrap the high chair and look under it! We have the same model and yesterday I made the mistake of unstrapping it, because I was going to clean it...Well needless to say I quickly strapping it back to the chair and walked away
    DS1
    DS2
    DD1

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You know I was in school for a few years and my whole house just fell apart. I'm finally getting it back together then. What works for me it to divide my house into zones like Flylady does. Then each week I focus on one zone (kitchen/dining room, or living room/playroom for example). I don't necessarily try to get the whole zone clean in a week but I try to spend 15 -30 minutes each day doing something. For instance one day I may just run a wipe along the top of the baseboards. Another day I may sweep down the cobwebs. The house doesn't become sparkling over night but it isn't overwelming either. Usually by the end of the week you can see a big difference. And usually by the time the zone comes around again you are building on the improvements you made last time. For example, the baseboards are still pretty clean so a quick swipe is all you need and now you can move on to something you didn't do last time.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast