Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    Hell no. The barn part sounds about right, but there's no pottery. The kids would break it.
    LOL, i love it.

extremely shameful house here too, and we even have housecleaners come every 2 weeks. the worst part is i feel like i spend such a large portion of the day loading/unloading dishes and sweeping/mopping the floor etc but it just gets insanely messy again. i have a 1yo who is fond of throwing food, spoons, bowls, cups and everything else during mealtimes (4x a day)..plus has a habit of dropping snacks/crackers and spilling milk and whatever at random places around the house. seriously, ever since ds started eating lots of solid meals and then walking, it seems like all i do is clean up after him (diapers are the easy part!!). i look back at when my ds only nursed and did not move around much, and i think of how that was a piece of cake to deal with compared to now...we only had ourselves to clean up after.

there is someone on here who had/has a sig that says something like "trying to clean up after kids is trying to shovel snow in a blizzard" or something to that effect...so true, i totally get that!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 01-28-2011 at 11:39 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    The downstairs is reasonably clean (except for the dog/cat hair that, despite vacuuming at least 2-3 times a week still takes over) but upstairs....yeah, it's an absolute pit and I just don't even know where to start. The master bedroom is embarassing; there's no other word for it, but since we're the only ones to see it, it always takes last place.

Heaven help us if we have a medical emergency because I would be so incredibly mortified.
    About 2 hours before the last party we had I gave up on some downstairs' organizing and cleaning and just started chucking stuff into my bedroom. This new clutter was on top of the heaps of clean laundry, most still in baskets, on the floor. bed was unmade, it was just as messy as can be though no bio hazards. Well, the kiddos wound up in there and one of my friends, who has never seen my bedroom before because, sadly, that state is pretty common, had to go into my room to get her toddler out. On one hand I was laughing (what else could I do?) and the other was mildly freaking out b/c that was my messy hiding spot! I can't seem to have all rooms of my house clean at once. I need to have a safe haven for crap. I need my old 4 bedroom house back vs this 3 bedroom one. That 4th bedroom was huge with giant closets lining the whole room. That would have been a great hiding spot!

Beth

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

shameful house here..........

I can't tell you when I cleaned our bathroom from top to bottom last . I keep the downstairs bathroom clean.....that's easy, it's just a toilet and sink......and DD's bathroom is rarely dirty because all she does is take a bath and pee in the potty.....so again, easy to wipe down while she is taking a bath....................but our bathroom has two sinks, a toilet, shower and garden tub and is a total PITA to clean......and no one sees it, so like PP mentioned, I have no motivation to give it a super clean.

I am able to keep the downstairs clean: vacume, dirty dishes and laundry. I have gotten lazy about washing the floors now that DD1 no longer crawls.........I am a bit fearful when DD2 starts crawling because I know how much more work I will have.

But there are so many "organizing" projects that need to get done.........getting ride of/returing borrowed maternity clothes, organizing outgrown clothes for DD1 and DD2, and just going through the junk that piles up all over the house! And don't get me started on the "deep cleaning" that I just ignore now: baseboards, finger prints, windows, dust on shelves........

I am so glad I'm not the only one...........I feel like I should have my sh#$% together more because I am normally a clean/organizing freak.
    And I also feel selfish for using what free time I have to sit down and play on the computer, take a shower, eat, put my feet up........
    Last edited by newg; 01-28-2011 at 11:52 PM.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm SO glad this thread got started and there are so many responses. Honestly, I've been pretty depressed and feeling inadequate aroound here. My house is a disaster, I apparently feed subpar foods and the list goes on.

Our house is so shameful too. I feel like I cant have new people over b/c I'm too embarrased. Heck, it takes me a week or 2 to prepare for my close friends to come over most of the time. Dh is bordering on being a hoarder and I tend to be a bit of a packrat. We have a small house, 2 dogs -which, how is it that my doberman sheds more than my 3 cockers ever did combined?

todzwife is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one...I try desperately to keep things under control, but they quickly get back to being a disaster area because 1. I'm the only one that cleans. 2. We have too much "stuff".

So I decided to do something about it. I started purging everything that doesn't have a home. We started in DD1's room. It's looking much better (round 1). She's actually sleeping in her bed tonight as opposed to the floor in our room (we haven't seen her bed in WEEKS because it was covered in clean laundry). I got rid of a bag of clothing and books/toys for the children's shelter.

DS's room is on the hit list next. We need to take everything out from under his bed and toss all the schoolwork and pieces of toys that are broken and then hit his closet with a flamethrower...uh.

Our room we lovingly refer to as "the pit" or the "room of doom" because it's been pretty bad 90% of the time. I have clothing in 6 different sizes including maternity, and now the most recent squishy to join our family resides in there as well as her dresser...and it's just a mess. It's where we throw things that we can't put away fast enough if people are coming over (or show up unannounced, don't you LOVE that??)

Ugh, I'm trying.
    Shandelle
    Proud mom to Dallin 10/03 Maddie 1/06 Zoey 4/10 Sadie 7/13

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    Does anybody else ever look around your home and think: how can we live like this???

We have good hygiene standards in most areas but, yikes, our house has these little pockets of filth sometimes! Like, the grungy lint that's collected around the bathroom baseboard. Dustbunnies in the hall. Mud by the back door. Old food splatters on the kitchen cabinet fronts. That kind of thing.

It just seems like we barely keep up with tidying up clutter, laundry, dishes and keeping clean food prep areas. We rarely get to that "deep" cleaning stuff.

We do keep eyes on Sprog to make sure she stays away from those dirty corners ... but it sure would be nice to have a cleaning fairy!
    Yes, I do. We have been in our house 18 months, and we still haven't unpacked all our boxes of stuff. These boxes sit in our formal dining room and in our office, so they are the first thing you see when you come in our front door...lovely. In fact, some of the still-packed boxes date from 2004 when we moved to Japan and had to leave stuff in storage. I think if we haven't needed it in 6 years, we don't need it at all, but DH practically has a heart attack when I start getting rid of stuff. The last time he deployed, I paid a neighbor 50 bucks to haul a load of stuff to the dump, and I lost track of all the stuff I donated to Goodwill. In the living room, we have two huge stereo speakers that haven't been hooked up since 2008 (two moves ago) sitting next to our (massive, ugly) entertainment center. We also have boxes in our master bedroom. I counted a stack of 45 tee shirts (at least DH folded them) and I found a HELMET in my bedroom, and I still have 4 big, unopened footlockers of DH's professional gear that he mailed home from the last TWO deployments sitting in my foyer. Because the office is a disaster, we blanket the kitchen counters with mail, and the dining room floor is covered in semi-neatly sorted piles of paper that are ready to be filed, except we have no space in the filing cabinet. It is tough to clean around clutter, believe me, I know. Did I mention that I have two kids under the age of five (read: no time to fool around with Craigslist), and that we are moving again in 6 months? Excuse me while I scream...EEEEEEEEEEK!

I posted this Clutterd Mamas, how do you Feel?
    which is pretty relevant to this thread...

I must say my house is a never-ending work in progress.I managed to organize two spots so far *sigh*
    one is behind the front door (no closet & one walks right into the living room) - I put these cubes w/ cloth bins in them, but, of course, there's stuff piled up on top (in baskets, but still over-flowing, *sigh*)...

and I did manage to clean out a lower cabinet in the kitchen to put ds' art/'office' supplies (again, let's not mention the counter above the organized cabinet...

little by little. right?
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

THANK YOU for this thread!!!!!

We moved six months ago and just a few weeks ago finally got the garage under control enough to park the van in it though we are now inspired to get it all done in the next couple of months!

Anyway, I was reading this last night and decided at 10pm to clean our master bedroom which still had 9 or so boxes in it and loads of clean laundry waiting to be put away. At 3am I was done (DH slept on the sofa until I called him up), 4 bags of goodwill items and 3 bags of trash resulted from my night and I even cleaned the bathroom (it's spotless) and organized the closets. This morning I had DH bring a chair and ottoman I have wanted for my reading nook in our room. It's great! THANK YOU!!!! Today I reorganized the family room where all the toys are and it is great.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Next weekend I will be away from the family for the weekend for doula training and my MIL is coming to sit on Friday before DH gets home, it will be nice to have an organized home! Did I say THANK YOU!!!!!
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyewife View Post
    Anyway, I was reading this last night and decided at 10pm to clean our master bedroom which still had 9 or so boxes in it and loads of clean laundry waiting to be put away. At 3am I was done (DH slept on the sofa until I called him up), 4 bags of goodwill items and 3 bags of trash resulted from my night and I even cleaned the bathroom (it's spotless) and organized the closets. This morning I had DH bring a chair and ottoman I have wanted for my reading nook in our room. It's great! THANK YOU!!!! Today I reorganized the family room where all the toys are and it is great.
    Hey, good for you!!!! Wow, I guess my thread struck home for people. Didn't think it would become so cathartic.

I'm proud to announce that I got lots accomplished today. But the crumby, sticky floors are untouched. My inherited piano arrived this morning (YAY!!!) which meant the mess and boxes, boxes of baby stuff HAD to go out of the family room. Since I was doing a huge consignment / charity run anyway, I cleared Sprog's closet top to bottom while she and DH played on the new piano.

Can you believe how many empty boxes I found in that closet? WHY did I feel the need to keep the pac'n play box? The Ergo box? The boppy box? Weird.

Well, Sprog just spent the evening playing on the floor of her clean closet. I put toy and clothes buckets in there for her to unload to her heart's content. Nothing shameful about that particular mess! Perhaps tomorrow I'll consider chipping the grunge off the kitchen floor. But probably not - DH plans to make spaghetti sauce tomorrow.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5