Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Playroom Ideas Needed!

So we have a finished attic that we plan to turn into a playroom ASAP for DS. He will be 1 in April, so it's not like he needs it all decked out just yet - but I'd like it that way (I want to have it ready for an unveiling for parents and friends for his birthday!).

It's definitely a small space .... I'm going to paint one of the walls with Chalkboard paint so he can draw and color in the future, and I'm going to get some other things like those puzzle toys and attach them to the wall, but my question is this: Do any of you have like a mural or anything on your playroom walls?

There's a wall with a window in the middle of it that I think could be cute with some dinosaurs or race cars - you know, boy stuff, and we have an artist friend who could do it.......

Care to share pics of your playroom?

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

I would LOVE to share pictures of my playroom! DH was out of town for a week over the summer, and I decided to 'surprise' him (aka just do it and not have to worry about him thinking that it wasn't the best idea, I have a history of biting off more then I can chew ) by redoing the playroom, which was a room we had not touched since he bought the house in 1997. I worked my butt off peeling wallpaper off, spackled and scrubbed the walls, and finally painted. It was a ton of work, but I love the way it turned out. The only thing left to do is replace the carpet, which we will do once DS is totally potty-trained. The room itself is tiny, maybe 9' by 12', but is bright and cheerful.

Also, I made the bookshelf myself this summer with plans from Knock-Off Wood. It keeps all the kids books fairly manageable, but doesn't take up too much space.

DSS biggest by far
    DD littler
    DS littlest

I think the best use of wall space is getting the biggest size Expedit bookcase (from Ikea) that you can fit in there. We have one in our playroom and it holds a ton of stuff! I'd definitely prioritize that over anything decorative on the walls.

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We don't have a mural b/c the walls are pretty much covered in bookshelves. We have the PBK stuff b/c Ikea wasn't an option at the time. I'd get the Ikea shelves if I were doing it now. SO SO SO much cheaper and they will ship now...

Ours is pretty big, it's the loft above our great room, but it could be done so much smaller and just skip the sofa in the middle.

This is ours right after we moved into our house. Things have moved, but not the big shelves. They are attached to the walls.

http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/2...105/091840.jpg

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/2...105/091911.jpg
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by love_a_latte View Post
    I would LOVE to share pictures of my playroom! DH was out of town for a week over the summer, and I decided to 'surprise' him (aka just do it and not have to worry about him thinking that it wasn't the best idea, I have a history of biting off more then I can chew ) by redoing the playroom, which was a room we had not touched since he bought the house in 1997. I worked my butt off peeling wallpaper off, spackled and scrubbed the walls, and finally painted. It was a ton of work, but I love the way it turned out. The only thing left to do is replace the carpet, which we will do once DS is totally potty-trained. The room itself is tiny, maybe 9' by 12', but is bright and cheerful.

Also, I made the bookshelf myself this summer with plans from Knock-Off Wood. It keeps all the kids books fairly manageable, but doesn't take up too much space.

Congratulations on a job very well done! You're one talented momma!

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks, everyone!! There are some serious great ideas in this thread! I LOVE the mailbox idea. That's just so cute. I can't wait to get started!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love everyone's ideas and pics! I seriously am planning to borrow an idea from each one!

I just got in 2 maps I had ordered, and the molding for them is out in the garage, just like in the link Beth posted. Here I thought that was a unique idea. LOL Of course, mine are crazy bright, so nowhere near as elegant. I love the "Explore" though, and I may use that. The train and apple tree are SO cute! I don't think I could talk DH into cutting a hole in the wall, but I'm sure I can take something from there.

LOVE the murals that you painted LaL! Did you freehand them, or use a pattern? I think I might actually be able to pull off a tree, and I've always wanted to put one somewhere. I had JUST bookmarked that bookshelf plan over at knockoffwood right before I saw your picture. It turned out great, and I love the colors!

Smilequeen, love the "Play" and ""Laugh" in your room- I've got to work those in too.

Thanks for posting this BabyH! Might be the most useful thread ever for me.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There are some seriously great ideas here! I LOVE that map, it looks so elegant and she makes it sound so easy.

I've wanted to do one of these roads, either around a door frame or window, or maybe where a chair rail would go in DS's room:

http://www.realsimple.com/home-organ...054/page4.html
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Quote Originally Posted by gobadgers View Post
    There are some seriously great ideas here! I LOVE that map, it looks so elegant and she makes it sound so easy.

I've wanted to do one of these roads, either around a door frame or window, or maybe where a chair rail would go in DS's room:

http://www.realsimple.com/home-organ...054/page4.html
    I might suggest that painting something dark is not always as simple as it sounds. I'm surprised they pulled this off without primering. To save some aggrivation get a gray primer as well to use first or maybe try the Behr paint with primer in it - although I have to say that was only marginally easier than straight paint. (We painted our basement red - I didn't know that red is one of the evilest colors to paint... and other darks can be equally evil. I learned of the existance of gray primer halfway through this horrible project...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast