Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I'm doing it on line and using this thread as my "meeting". Like Weech, I know that I wouldn't be able to make time to go to a meeting. But so far, I am on my 5th week and going strong, mostly due to the support I've found here (love you, ladies!).

I know how you feel about a large goal like that. According to WW, I need to loose 95lbs (well 87lbs now, since I have lost 8lbs). I can't even think in terms of that large number. I focus on small goals. I just lost my first 5lbs, now I am focusing on 10lbs, then 5%, then 10% etc. etc. If I think about the 95, I just want to give up because it seems impossible.

But I NEED to do this. Not just for my health, but because I want to be a good role model for DD. I don't want her to grow up struggling with her weight like I did and the best way to prevent that is to bring her up in a house of people that eat appropriately. I also don't want to be hiding half of my body behind DH in ever picture we take. It makes me so sad to think that DD will look back and say "Why are there so few pictures of us together when I was a baby?" How is it right that my only response would be that I was too ashamed of how I looked to be in pictures? Everytime I want to quit, or want to eat beyond my points, I just think about that and look at pictures of my beautiful DD and remind myself why I am doing it.

Lhafer, if you decide to join, you will have lots of support from us mommas.
    Thanks! I joined earlier today. There's a meeting place down the street from me, and DH will watch the girls for me on Saturdays so I can go. And I feel EXACTLY like that. We have not had a family portrait done ever since my first daughter was born almost 5 years ago. The last time DH and I had our pictures done was 2001. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Word.

I feel the same way. I have 75 pounds to lose, and that number makes me want to cry. But every time I've felt like I wanted to eat something I really shouldn't, I've thought to myself, "I love _whatever food_ but I love myself and my children more!" I have borderline hypertension, insulin resistance, and a family history of heart disease. I want to be there for my kids and grandkids, so I need to get fit and healthy!

Sarah
    I am right there with you Sarah!

My father dropped dead of a heart attack (no heart issues that we know of) at the age of 51. He was 6'5" tall and weighed 200lbs, he was a bean pole.

I take medications for high cholesterol, and a cardiac arrythymia that started right after my baby was born last year. I have had high triglycerides all my life (last time I had them checked a few months ago, they were in the 500s - they should be around 150). I have hypertension. I am insulin resistant.

I started working out on my elliptical a little bit at a time this week. I do about 20 minutes in the morning right now, and will work up from there.

Thanks for the support. I love the BBB!!

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the thing I have to remember is to take things one day at a time and just because I go over my points for a day (or week) doesn't mean I should abandon ship. I get easily discouraged, but like everyone else here, I really want to set a good example for my kids and feel better myself. I was skimming a book at B&N (I forget the title) about a woman who lost over 200lbs on WW. She had a quote in the book that rang so true to me (something like): "Dieting is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard." She's got a success story on WW: http://www.weightwatchers.com/succes...ssStoryID=3301

I'm lucky to have inspiration where I work. One of the teachers at my school lost over 100lbs with WW in the last 18-24 months. She looks AMAZING! I've been asking her for tips and also encouragement. She told me that when she first started exercising (about a month after she started WW), she could only do 8 minutes on the elliptical. Now she goes to the gym 5 days a week, runs races, and plans in gym time even on vacation! She doesn't crave high-fat/sugar/salt foods at all anymore. I hope/wish that will be me in a few months!

On another note, I JUST found out the ILs are taking us out for....MEXICAN tonight. It's going to be tough and I will definitely need to use some of my weekly points tonight. I'm planning on the vegetable fajitas. I'm proud that I'm at least planning ahead!

Also, I actually made it through a Super Bowl buffet at work today without caving! I ate the lunch I brought from home (soup, apple, laughing cow cheese wedge) and then treated myself to a rice crispy treat.

Tomorrow I'll have to head to the gym to add back some activity points if I'm going to make it through Sunday!
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hello everyone

I just signed up for WW online today, but I plan to officially start Monday (I shop on Sunday). I have gained weight that I couldn't afford since I started working and really need to get a handle on it.

I have never done WW before and find the whole thing a bit overwhelming!

Do you have any sites that you like that have recipes with points? Any cookbooks with points? I feel like I need a guidebook Going to meetings won't work for me right now.

Anyway, just saying hi - I will officially join you guys on Monday!

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fivi2 View Post
    Hello everyone

I just signed up for WW online today, but I plan to officially start Monday (I shop on Sunday). I have gained weight that I couldn't afford since I started working and really need to get a handle on it.

I have never done WW before and find the whole thing a bit overwhelming!

Do you have any sites that you like that have recipes with points? Any cookbooks with points? I feel like I need a guidebook Going to meetings won't work for me right now.

Anyway, just saying hi - I will officially join you guys on Monday!

I swear by this blog - http://www.skinnytaste.com/. She has the old WW points listed for all her recipes, and the new PointsPlus for her newest recipes. She's going back through and adding Points+ to older ones, too. Sooo many of my dinners are inspired by her recipes!

I have a WW cookbook from a year or so ago (old Points system), but I rarely use it. I don't really like the kinds of recipes in it I'd browse through a few at a bookstore first and see if they're your style.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Tonight was my first big splurge since joining WW on Jan 3. We ordered in Mexican food, had a few glasses of wine and birthday cake for my DD. I don't want to be upset with myself for going SO over my points value for the day, but I kind of am . I know I have those 49 extra points, but I feel so...gluttonous. I know, I have to get over it, that life is meant to be lived and my DD deserved to see her mom dig into her birthday cake with great gusto. Just hoping I haven't ruined any potential weight loss for the week. I am quite petite, and find that when I exceed my 29 pts a day (even to use the allotted 49 bonus points) I don't seem to lose.

Tomorrow is another day.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    Tonight was my first big splurge since joining WW on Jan 3. We ordered in Mexican food, had a few glasses of wine and birthday cake for my DD. I don't want to be upset with myself for going SO over my points value for the day, but I kind of am . I know I have those 49 extra points, but I feel so...gluttonous. I know, I have to get over it, that life is meant to be lived and my DD deserved to see her mom dig into her birthday cake with great gusto. Just hoping I haven't ruined any potential weight loss for the week. I am quite petite, and find that when I exceed my 29 pts a day (even to use the allotted 49 bonus points) I don't seem to lose.

Tomorrow is another day.
    I know the feeling. If you're not in the frozen tundra, maybe you can get outside with the kids for a while or head to the gym? That's usually my saving grace after I eat too much.
    Rachel
    04/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post

Tomorrow is another day.
    It's OK. It's one day. And if you don't lose this week, it's one week. And birthdays have to be different and special, especially for our kids.

In the long run, it's much healthier for your DD to see you eat and be healthy most of the time but celebrate and enjoy cake now and then, than to see you deprive yourself of treats always, isn't it?

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'm only down a whopping 1lb in my first week, but to be fair, I ate my way through DD#2's b-day cake last weekend.... I also didn't track this week, as I've been sick. I know from before that tracking is key for me. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the new points system, but so far, I do like the increase in protein -- I don't feel as hungry.

FYI, I got the new WW cookbook at Costco and its pretty good. Also, our leader said if you want a quick conversion for an old recipe, just add 2 points to the old value and that is an estimate.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did my official first weigh in this morning! I am hoping to lose 30 pounds. I did my grocery shopping and started today.

Is there a cheat sheet somewhere on the website with common foods and points, or do I have to search everything? It seems like a steep learning curve!

Thanks for the website listed above - it looks great. I ordered a cookbook on Amazon - I wonder if it is the same as at Costco...

Thanks guys! Good luck to all of you

omg, I gained.

Rachel
    04/2010

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast