Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in right now, too. Last week was not a great one, as I mentioned in another thread, not because I didn't try to stay on plan, but had a few things I had to attend and eat at where it was hard to track.

As for vegetables, I second the recommendation to roast v. steam. There is such better flavor when you roast a lot of veggies. In addition to what you mentioned, if you liked the sauteed garlic parmesan spinach, what about doing something similar with broccoli rabe or rapini, greens (collard, mustard, turnip, kale, etc.). Also, we love to cut zucchini into thicker slices, season with Italian seasoning (or my personal favorite, Penzey's Smokey Seasoned Salt, just a touch) and roast in the oven. Spray the pan first with canola or olive oil spray.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I should roast more. A lot of times, I am lazy and just do those microwave steamer bags so that it is quick.

For anyone interesting, the sauted spinach was: heat a couple of tsp's of olive oil in a pan over medium heat, then add about a clove of garlic minced and cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Then slowly add in spinach as there is room in the pan (I used an entire bag of spinach and it did not look like much when I was finished). Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Then when all the spinach was wilted down, I put 2 Tbsp of parmesan cheese on top and just mixed it through. It made what i call 2 servings (one for me and one for DH) and was 3 points per the recipe builder. I served it with pan "fried" tilapia, which is very low in points, so I didn't feel bad about adding some points to my veggies.
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

Can I ask about extra points? How bad is it to have a few extra at the end of the day? I vaguely remember that on the old program there was a range of points you were supposed to eat in, and it was bad to be below the minimum. Is being a few points shy of your daily intake still a bad thing? It doesn't happen on a daily basis, but if I have 3-4 points left after dinner and I'm not hungry I can't see any point in trying to eat something to use them up, kwim?

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post
    Can I ask about extra points? How bad is it to have a few extra at the end of the day? I vaguely remember that on the old program there was a range of points you were supposed to eat in, and it was bad to be below the minimum. Is being a few points shy of your daily intake still a bad thing? It doesn't happen on a daily basis, but if I have 3-4 points left after dinner and I'm not hungry I can't see any point in trying to eat something to use them up, kwim?

Sarah
    I asked this question on one of the WW boards (p.s. the people on that board were so stinking mean when I asked the question, I can't even tell you) and the people there said it was not recommended to leave points on the table as it can cause your metabolism to slow down. I think if it is rare, it isn't a big deal, but not something that should happen often, kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    I asked this question on one of the WW boards (p.s. the people on that board were so stinking mean when I asked the question, I can't even tell you) and the people there said it was not recommended to leave points on the table as it can cause your metabolism to slow down. I think if it is rare, it isn't a big deal, but not something that should happen often, kwim?
    That's interesting because my meeting leader says that your hunger should be your guide and if you have a few leftover points, you shouldn't sweat it. She definitely said you shouldn't eat just for the sake of using up points.

FWIW, I routinely have between 3 and 6 points leftover each day. I eat them if I am hungry, but I am frequently not.

(And I totally agree with BabyBearsMom that the people on the WW boards are flat out MEAN. They obviously should be using their extra points to kick back with a glass of wine and CHILL.)
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBearsMom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    That's interesting because my meeting leader says that your hunger should be your guide and if you have a few leftover points, you shouldn't sweat it. She definitely said you shouldn't eat just for the sake of using up points.

FWIW, I routinely have between 3 and 6 points leftover each day. I eat them if I am hungry, but I am frequently not.

(And I totally agree with BabyBearsMom that the people on the WW boards are flat out MEAN. They obviously should be using their extra points to kick back with a glass of wine and CHILL.)
    I tried searching the WW boards without much luck, but it did seem like the tone there is, er, less than helpful.

My "problem" is that I usually get to dinner with 15-18 points left for the day, and I can't possibly eat that many points in one meal! (Well, I *can*, but then I wind up with an acid reflux attack at night, and it's soooooo not worth that!) My breakfasts and lunches typically run in the 5-7 point range, so I suppose I could try to make those bigger. But I don't spend the day feeling hungry...and if I do get hungry, I eat a piece of fruit!

Alcohol generally doesn't agree with me, so I can't even kick back with a glass of wine in the evening. I did just stock up on those single serving Skinny Cow ice cream cups - 4 points each. I wouldn't mind having one of those now and then, even if I'm not hungry.

(And my aunt, also on WW, has been lecturing me on making sure I use all my weekly points. But if I can't even eat my daily points, I don't know how I'm supposed to do that! Besides, I thought those were truly optional, to be used for things like cake at a birthday party or something.)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

For Sarah, I honestly did the best with the old program when I ate between 18 and 22 pts, and not the 22 and 27 (given that I would use 5 extra points per day). I also rarely used or counted exercise points into my daily routine. It's such a personal thing. With the new plan I use between 24 and 29 pts. per day and I have gone over a few times, but never once in a week used all 49 pts. . I have lost 3.2 lbs. total in the past two weeks which is the most I have lost since the program changed in November.

I have realized that with the new plan it's much harder to "cheat" and eat more unhealthy foods than it was on the old plan, but have noticed that as long as I eat enough veggies (which I have been doing in the last week) I feel better than I did.

The only time I did try to use all of my 32 points was when I was breastfeeding DD2 and that didn't even work. I bumped back down to the mid 20s and I did much better.

I still miss the old plan because I have spent 7 yrs. of my life following it, but maybe just maybe I'll eventually get on board with the new one.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Weighed in tonight...no loss/no gain, which is better than I expected. After being sick last week, my appetite was huge, and I thought for sure I would have gained.

To help us out with dinners (DH is doing WW, too), I made 4 dinners at Let's Dish tonight. I recently realized that they have the WW Plus points for each of their meals online. We are so busy that I figured having a few of their meals in the freezer would help us eat healthier when we are in a huge hurry.

I'm still getting used to the new program. I hate that I only got 4 more points than I had before (I'm at the minimum, 29, even though I'm really overweight) and most everything I loved almost doubled in points.
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

Sarah - I don't know if this helps, but I split my day up into thirds 6am to noon, noon to 6pm and 6pm to midnight. I try to distribute my points evenly between the thirds (although I tend to eat a little less in the first and a little more in the third). The other thing I have done is, I noticed I consistently had 3 extra points at the end of the day. So I switched from fat free cottage cheese to 2% cottage cheese, and made a few other changes like that. That way I am getting more points but eating the same amount. Plus, it is super yummy.

I don't generally touch my activity poitns or my weekly points. I used my weekly points when DH and I went out for dinner a few weeks ago, and did fine, but other than that, they just sit there. The people on the WW board said that you are supposed to eat your weekly points too...but then again, some of them claim that they have been on a "plateau" for over a year, so I take that advice with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam&Clay View Post
    Weighed in tonight...no loss/no gain, which is better than I expected. After being sick last week, my appetite was huge, and I thought for sure I would have gained.

To help us out with dinners (DH is doing WW, too), I made 4 dinners at Let's Dish tonight. I recently realized that they have the WW Plus points for each of their meals online. We are so busy that I figured having a few of their meals in the freezer would help us eat healthier when we are in a huge hurry.

I'm still getting used to the new program. I hate that I only got 4 more points than I had before (I'm at the minimum, 29, even though I'm really overweight) and most everything I loved almost doubled in points.
    oooh, how did the let's dish stuff go? I have been thinking about doing that.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast