Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default UPDATE: Crafty Mamas....HELP!

Update: Made the flower girl wands, here are photos. I hope they are ok, I'm just not sure how they will work. I also really hope the glue holds! Sage and green are the wedding colors. I keep rotating photos in photobucket, and the rotation doesn't necessarily carry over to thumbnails, I don't get it.

The girls are in my cousin's wedding and she has asked if I could make these wands for them to carry: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com...fabric-flowers

The problem is, I am starting to feel really annoyed with Martha Stewart because there aren't really instructions. Can anyone PUHLEEZE help me with this? What are confetti flowers? Any tips would be so helpful, this wedding is stressful enough without totally obscure crafts.

ETA: I found another link with a similar wand: http://www.fancypantsweddings.com/fu...ings/ann00512/

Last edited by Melaine; 04-20-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Update

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No help here.

But shouldn't she...the bride...be figuring out who can make these wands for her? Like something from Etsy?

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can totally do this- really simple! Just wrap some ribbon around a dowel and glue on some flowers. I've never heard of confetti flowers, but it seems they could either be candy flowers (which I doubt), or just flower confetti- individual little fabric flowers, which is what I'd bet on. I'd just double check with her to see if there is a specific type or color of flower she wanted.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

I think by confetti flowers, she means the silk rose petals that are sold with the wedding supplies in craft stores-they come in a clear plastic box, and usually are put into baskets for the flower girls to scatter on the aisle when they walk before the bride. Another tip-she doesn't say to do this, but I'd paint the dowels the same color as the ribbon-that way, if you have a tiny area where the ribbon doesn't overlap (it happens!) it won't show up as badly.
    My little leprechaun is becoming a toddler! Redheaded DD 03/10

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    No help here.

But shouldn't she...the bride...be figuring out who can make these wands for her? Like something from Etsy?
    Exactly. I'm all for being crafty but making things for a bride with noninstructions but expectations begs for all sorts of wrong to happen.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I agree with the pp. It appears that Martha is using the individual petals you can buy to toss in a wedding (you can find them at AC Moore, Michael's, even Walmart) and glueing them on top each other to create flowers. There is nooooooo way I would do that. I'd go to a craft store and buy some fake flowers (I might experiment using some from the Dollar Tree; they're not as pretty but cheap for a trial run), detach the stem and then hot glue the flowers and ribbon to a wood dowel. I don't think it will be too hard and I bet they will turn out cute. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    You can totally do this- really simple! Just wrap some ribbon around a dowel and glue on some flowers. I've never heard of confetti flowers, but it seems they could either be candy flowers (which I doubt), or just flower confetti- individual little fabric flowers, which is what I'd bet on. I'd just double check with her to see if there is a specific type or color of flower she wanted.
    Ok thanks! I think I do know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by m448 View Post
    Exactly. I'm all for being crafty but making things for a bride with noninstructions but expectations begs for all sorts of wrong to happen.
    I know, right? I'm already feeling the stress because I asked her if we could look for cheaper dresses and now it turns out she wants one to wear green and one to wear purple which I think will be challenging. I'm sure it will all work out and I really don't mind trying to help. I just am not so great with the GLUE-type crafts. Some of the others I'm good with.

I have no idea what a confetti flower is but I can give you an idea of how to do make something similar using crepe paper if you want, it's pretty easy.
    I would just go get ribbon in a few colors and cut them at different lengths, it says they thumbtacked it on but I would just use hot glue.
    The crepe flowers are really light and you could glue a few of those directly onto the ribbon too.
    Finally #2 due April 17, 2015

DS - 8.22.08
    allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts
    outgrew wheat!

Quote Originally Posted by Babymakes3 View Post
    I have no idea what a confetti flower is but I can give you an idea of how to do make something similar using crepe paper if you want, it's pretty easy.
    I would just go get ribbon in a few colors and cut them at different lengths, it says they thumbtacked it on but I would just use hot glue.
    The crepe flowers are really light and you could glue a few of those directly onto the ribbon too.
    Thanks! I may just get back to you on that. We still haven't finalized the dress choice so I'm not going to get out my glue quite yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast