Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Sensory question: cross-sensory issues

Does your child with SPD, ASD, or other issues have cross-sensory experiences?

DS always covers his eyes when noises are too loud for his comfort. He has always done this since he was a baby/toddler. When he was very young, we thought it was because the noises scared him. But now we know that this isn't the case, because he covers his eyes even when he likes the noise. His teacher has commented on it happening at school. And when his aftercare program had a fire drill, the director told me that DS covered his eyes and cried that the noise (fire alarm) was "too bright".

Even though DS knows that you see with your eyes and hear with your ears, that knowledge doesn't match his reactions.

What causes this? Is it a part of his sensory-processing issues? Is it a side effect of his visual impairment?

Does anyone have expereince with this?
    Last edited by Gena; 02-01-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell today.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

I don't think DS1 does this, but I'll have to watch for it. What an interesting phenomenon (from a nerdy, biological perspective, not a parenting perspective )

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Could it be a form of synesthesia?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hmmm.....I have no idea. Now I'm curious and am going to watch DS to see what he does. His new thing is to flip out when he spills water on his clothes (but it's not cross sensory I don't think).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Could it be a form of synesthesia?
    I wonder if it could be. I've heard a little about synesthesia before, but I don't know much about it.

DS's communication difficulties make it hard for me to know how he perceives things. He doesn't seem to understand my questions when I ask him about it.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I know Greenbean holds his hands over his eyes about bright lights, but I don't really know where he puts his hands when it's too loud. Normallly, he just says it's too loud and starts running around spazzing out. He pretends to shiver when it's too cold and does appropriate hand signals when it's too hot. I'll watch more closely for his noise reaction.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.