Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Anyone use a male sitter

DS started at his school's after care 2 afternoons a week and loves it. The aftercare is contracted out to local company that does after care at a few schools and big summer camps, it's been around for 85 yrs. I was talking to the coordinator that is on site every afternoon and he lives 3 blocks from my house - sort of unusual as no one every lives in our little neighbourhood, we're tucked away in a canyon.

Next semester I might need someone to pick DS up from school and take him home as the school after care finishes at 6pm but the class finishes at 6.15 and I won't get there until 7pm. I said something to the counsellor about this and that other parents had suggested I see if an after care counsellor would agree to drive DS home and babysit him until I can get there. He said he would be interested. But now, I must admit that we've never had a male sitter before. He's back ground checked, worked as the school coordinator at our school for a few years, I've heard good things from other parents. DS said he doesn't play much with him, as DS's age group has a different counsellor assigned to them for the afternoon. And we have only done 3 days, so would need to get to know him better before I would set anything like that up, regardless if girl or boy. I've usually used sitters that other friends have used, so there is that more unknown factor here. I've just never considered using a male babysitter before...maybe because more women do it.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by niccig; 02-02-2011 at 04:08 AM.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We used a male sitter for Dora a couple of times when she was about 2. Our HS sitter went away to college, and this young man was also from our church. I mostly knew him because he and his dad were in handbells. He was an eagle scout, and was staying in town to go to community college and work PT. Really that's all I knew about him, but from seeing him week after week at church the vibe I got from him was a good one. He came a couple of times. It appears all he did was study, read a book, which is what our other sitter did since Dora was in bed. I wouldn't have any hesitation about using him again.

Our sitter's Dh has come along with her on gigs before, and helps her out. Laurel esp. LOVES him. I don't have any qualms about him either.

I think if you're considering this counselor, like any sitter, get to know him, see what kind of vibe he gives you.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We had a neighborhood high school boy babysit for us for datenight a couple of times. The twins were already sleeping when he came over so he just played with gator and cha cha before he put them to bed. However, I have known that kid even before he started kindergarten and we know his parents really well. Otherwise, I'm too paranoid to get a male sitter. It's sad and unfair to all the good ones out there, I know. Just my mama instinct screaming at me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have not but I wouldn't really hesitate if I got a good feeling about him and he had a background check. I might have him over to babysit and see how it went.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Yes, under much the circumstances you describe. I know the stats, but he worked at ds' preschool so was background checked, I knew him and liked him, and ds knew him and liked him.

Catherinr

My dad is our nanny. So technically he is a male, but also a close family member. This may sound strange, but for some reason I am more comfortable having a male watch my kids because they are boys. If I had a girl I don't think I would - a male other than my dad that is.

I think in your case if you feel comfortable with the counselor it should be OK. Good luck!
    Blessed mommy of 2 beautiful boys

Given what you described and having a little more time to get to know him; most certainly I'd do it.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We rarely get a sitter because we lead very boring lives, but I would use him given the situation you describe. But only if your DS likes him.

My favorite babysitter growing up was the teenage boy next door. I was kind of a reclusive kid and didn't like many of our babysitters. But he played with us. That kid earned his money. We played catch and built forts and he gave the best piggy back rides. My brothers LOVED having a guy babysit. He was super cool to us and treated us like friends and having a guy that wasn't dad that was interested in them was HUGE.

Obviously it's not all because he was a guy. It was because of who he was. And every babysitter is different. But give him and your DS a chance to hang out before you really need it so they get a chance to know each other better and if they hit it off, go for it. It really sounds like the perfect situation for you. Good luck!

I have typically avoided male sitters (though I've rarely had one apply when I've been looking) but based on the description of the situation that you give I think I would be comfortable. Especially since he has been background checked. The people up the st have a Male Nanny who is awesome. He is probably in his mid to late 20s so he is very mature and actually a very calming presence. He deals with 3 boys, a 5th Grader, Kingartener and a 1 yr old. He really has a nice reasonable approach with the kids and they listen to him.

One of DH's best friends babysits our kids often, he is just great with them.
    He doesn't have kids of his own yet (he and his DH are in the process of adopting a child)
    At my mother group there was a lot of comment on leaving a (gay) man alone with my children, but he really is a great guy, the kids are always very happy when he shows up (even our tweens & teens, who don't need a babysitter anymore)
    He really is a great guy and the kids love him (they call him uncle T.)
    I feel very safe leaving my kids with him, he takes great care of them.

We use cloth diapers, and he had no problem with that, I told him first he could just use the Bumgenius since the work as a sposie, but with the help of our older children at first even prefolds are no problem for him anymore.
    (he even rinses out the poo before he puts the diaper in the hamper)

We used to live in a community where gay people were called 'sinners in the eye of God', and other terrible things, so I was a little anxious at first.
    But as soon as I saw him with the children all of my worries were gone.

He works as a Forensic Psychologist, so I know the background check is okey.

Married to DH since '95

DS1 (’96)DS2 (’97) & DD1 (’97) (twins)DS3 (’99)DD2 (’00)DS4 (’01)DD3 (’03) & DS5 (’03) (twins)
    DD4 (’04)DS6 (’05)DD5 (’07) & DD6 (’07) (twins)DS7 (’08)DS8 (’09) & DS9 (’09) (twins) - DD7 ('11)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast