Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Everyone still loving their steam mops?

I just did a search of threads about steam mops and I found that some of our members here have the Eureka Envirosteamer and loved it. That was August of last year. I also read that a few of you had new Shark Europro steamers and liked those too. However, I've read lots of reviews warning consumers that the shark falls apart quickly and customer service is terrible.

I am a slave to my mop and bucket. I would love to try a steamer to see if it makes my life easier. However, I read that the head is too large to get under the overhang on some cupboards and that worries me. My Dyson has this problem so I have a nice build up of crumbs under the lip of my cabinets unless I use the hand attachment all around the kitchen. It's a pain. If the Eureka is like that, I dont' want it. Also, does it really take a long time to heat up? Does is really put out constant steam when it's plugged in? Is that a pitb?

All comments appreciated!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I really didn't like my shark. I got it at costco and returned it. A friend has one and loves it, though. The shark dried fast, which was awesome, and cut through nasty stuff pretty well - but it left weird streaks on my floor. I read some things that this happens if whatever you used in the past left a residue, but I generally use water or water + vinegar. Every once in a blue moon I use very diluted murphy's, which is supposedly questionable on floors, but I like to feel like they get a good deep clean now and then, and I really don't feel like water or water and vinegar cut it.

I think the old bucket and mop work best - but I don't do that too often. What I have found and love that I use 95% of the time is the rubbermaid reveal... seriously they got everything that is great about the wet jet or ready mop, and got rid of everything that sucks. It's a great mop.

But when you have serious dirt, it suffers from the same biggest drawback of the shark - you're trying to pick up a TON of dirt with one small pad. Really you're pushing dirt around - so now and then you need a good bucket and mop, or hands and knees and rag, clean, and reveal works great the rest of the time.

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-285...6684127&sr=8-2
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 02-02-2011 at 06:03 PM.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Eureka is hard to get under tight spaces, but other than that I love it. My mom has the Shark and I have to say it feel lower quality (I've also heard of a lot of people having it break). Plus the temperature of the steam in the Shark is not as high as in the Eureka (so it doesn't sterilize). The Eureka leaves the floor amazingly clean, one I mopped really well, then used the steamer and it turned out there was still quite a bit of dirt left after mopping that the steamer picked up. And stuck on stuff comes off in seconds, without any effort on my part.

My Eureka heats up really quick and has a constant output. I don't use it as often now since I have a housecleaner come very frequently.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

I still love my Envirosteamer. It's the only reason the health department hasn't come to condem our house! I don't think it takes long at all to heat up. You do have to make sure the black plastic landing pad is near you because it can't rest directly on the floor, but I don't find that a big deal. I can't speak to it getting in tight spaces, so don't know how well it works for that or not. I have to say I was a big traditionalist and swore by a string mop and bucket. But I really, really like the Envirosteamer. It's so much easier and I think the floors are cleaner.

We have hardwood floors so I was nervous about the Eureka steamer. I used it three times but ended up returning it as the floor was just too wet and I had to towel dry it afterward. Would have loved it if we had stone or vinyl flooring.

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Steam-...6691087&sr=8-3

I have the bissell and have had it for 3 years. It replaced its twin that never returned from being lent out. I love it.

Sierra
    2 boys 2 girls

I have a shark and I like it. I find that I only get streaks when my floors are pretty dirty to begin with. If I've been keeping up with the mopping (which with the shark I really have no excuse not to) then I don't get streaks.

I'm curious about the new shark vacuum/ steam combo thing, but I have this idea that multi-purpose things never do any single job that great.
    Christie, mom to:
    DD 3
    DS 22 months
    Both RFing in Diono Radian RXTs!

I have the shark pocket steamer mop (from costco) and love it. I've had it since July.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wrote a review of my Eureka steam mop on here a while back. My review is in Post#5: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...=steam+cleaner

Quick recap: I found way more cons to pros for the Eureka, and ended up getting rid of it. It would leak LOTS of water during cleaning occasionally and I would have to get a towel to dry it up.

I got the newer shark model and love it. I use it often. I have had no issues yet with it and I bought it back in September or so.

I think it depends on what you want a steamer for. Want to super clean your floors or santize them, go with a steamer that has hotter steam. If you want it for keep your floors clean, and looking good, the Shark is awesome. I prefer the latter. So the Shark works just fine for me.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
    I wrote a review of my Eureka steam mop on here a while back. My review is in Post#5: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...=steam+cleaner

Quick recap: I found way more cons to pros for the Eureka, and ended up getting rid of it. It would leak LOTS of water during cleaning occasionally and I would have to get a towel to dry it up.

I got the newer shark model and love it. I use it often. I have had no issues yet with it and I bought it back in September or so.

I think it depends on what you want a steamer for. Want to super clean your floors or santize them, go with a steamer that has hotter steam. If you want it for keep your floors clean, and looking good, the Shark is awesome. I prefer the latter. So the Shark works just fine for me.
    Your post came up in one of my searches yesterday. I was curious if the Shark lovers still felt the same way because some of hte Amazon reviewers came back a few months later to update their post that their beloved Sharks fell apart after a few months. I guess I just wanted to know if that was the case with the BBB Shark owners. Sounds like you guys still like yours.

DH came home with a Shark yesterday after I told him not to, but maybe I should just try it. I would really be annoyed if the Eureka couldn't reach all the way under the counters. On the other hand, the Rubbermaid Reveal mop that Runnerduck mentioned is kind of intriguing me. I don't mind working hard on my floors- i hate dragging that dang bucket along with me. And the Reveal doesn't come with the problems of the steam mops. hmmmm....
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast