HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Made 50 crayon hearts last night...Now how package them?

I melted 6 boxes of the cheap crayons from Target. I used the ice cube trays from Target (the ones found in the seasonal bins) and put the molds in the freezer. It worked great. I have many single color and many multi-colored heart shaped crayons. However, I totally forgot to buy something to put them in to give to each child.

DS has 7 other kids in his class. My plan is to give each child 4 heart crayons. Ideas of how to present them?

(caveat: I can't give them to DD's class b/c they do not recognize Vday at her school and won't allow anything brought in around Vday that might resemble something from the holiday _-anything red or heart shaped or candy etc...., so I have a ton of these crayon hearts now--which is why each kid in DS's class will get 4 each).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would use those translucent plastic/cellophane bags you can buy at any craft store. I just bought clear bags with red polka dots at Michaels - I can't remember the price but they were cheap and came with twist ties. There are great Valentine's Day stickers and tags on etsy that you can have personalized (some are even sold as PDFs).

I might steal your idea! Any tips? Did you microwave the crayons to melt them? Did you melt them individually to keep the colors separate or swirled?
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

zag95 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'd go to the dollar store and get cellophane treat bags..... I think you may be able to get 10-20 for $1.

the other option might be sandwich bags!

The dollar store usually has those clear, cellophane goody bags.

Do you have a paper shredder? I"d buy some red, pink and white paper, shred some of it, use it as a little filler, than add the crayon hearts.

I'd also tie the baggie with red ribbon.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I boiled water on the stove and used a smaller pot in the pot of boiled water to melt one color at a time (I did mix the different shades of the same color though). In between each color I washed the small pot and dried it really really well. After I poured the colors into the mold I put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. For the mixed colors I did a layer of one color and froze it and then a layer of the next color. That worked better than swirling b/c the colors mixed to much and came out bad with swirling.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I would use either cellophane bags or ziploc snack bags and staple folded cardstock on over the top.

I found this free printable by typing - valentine bag toppers free printable

http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2...-and-free.html

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    I boiled water on the stove and used a smaller pot in the pot of boiled water to melt one color at a time (I did mix the different shades of the same color though). In between each color I washed the small pot and dried it really really well. After I poured the colors into the mold I put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. For the mixed colors I did a layer of one color and froze it and then a layer of the next color. That worked better than swirling b/c the colors mixed to much and came out bad with swirling.
    Thank you for sharing !!
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

another vote for the cellophane treat bags. i know Target carries Valentine-themed cellophane bags...Michael's too, and probably dollar stores as well. i used to make molded chocolate candy hearts for Valentine's, and i'd just put a few in each cellophane bag and they fit really nicely (see pic below). i used to staple them, but for kids you could just use a twist tie at the top (they usually come with the cellophane bags)

If you don't want to go with cellophane bags, you could cut small squares in tissue paper and make little sacks out of those, tie them up with ribbon or pipe cleaners.

Catherine