Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    You could look for organic butter unsalted, it always seems whiter to me.
    FYI
    Color of butter is dependent on the type of food that the cow ate. I was raised on a dairy farm back in Asia. When we let the cows graze on green pastures, the milk cream top was a nice creamy yellow and hence butter was the same. When we fed our cows dry hay, we got almost white cream tops = white butter.
    Last edited by SoloMelody; 02-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.
    DD 04/2008
    DS 06/2012

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Fairy, I just saw this on a blog I browse and I thought of you..
    http://www.beantownbaker.com/2011/02...sting-for.html

Click the link for the recipe. Your combo sounds tastier
    to me.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

yay! my recipe won!!! errr, actually it's from america's test kitchen

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bnme View Post
    Fairy, I just saw this on a blog I browse and I thought of you..
    http://www.beantownbaker.com/2011/02...sting-for.html

Click the link for the recipe. Your combo sounds tastier
    to me.
    Thank you! I read it, and it was very interesting to me to see how easy it apparently is to make cherry pie filling. The recipe I found (and I looked at so many recipes that day that I don't remember which one came from where anymore) was so much more complex than that, and I just said for.get.it. But this one seems doable. I like the concept of a syrupy pie filing. Something the consistency of a filled donut. As opposed to a juicy one. Hers seems more juicy, but then again, probably alot healthier, too. I'm keeping this one in my back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandme View Post
    yay! my recipe won!!! errr, actually it's from america's test kitchen
    You're so funny. Yes, you won! Honestly, I love this as a filling. Like for a hostess type of style. Deep chocolate cake filled with this frosting, and then topped with ... I dunno. Maybe chocolate buttercream.

I discovered during this whole process that i"m just not a cupcake baker, and you will not be seeing me on cupcake wars at all. Yet, I think a bug bit me. Cuz I bought some heart-shaped silicone cupcake liners, and I got some TJ's cake mix, TJ's white and chocolate frosting mix, and ingredients for chocolate cupcakes from scratch. And my mind is constantly running with ideas for infused flavors. Withotu any knowledge of how to infuse them. I know in my head that I really need to just stick with jewelry. Yet, I'm feelign compelled to make cupcakes ...
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

America's test kitchen has a great recipe for a ganache filled chocolate cupcake with chocolate butter cream frosting. Honestly the best I have ever tasted, better than the $4 ones at the shops that opened when cupcakes were trendy.

here it is:

Ganache Filling
    2 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine (see note)
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Chocolate Cupcakes
    3 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine (see note)
    1/3 cup (1 ounce) Dutch-processed cocoa
    3/4 cup hot coffee
    3/4 cup (4 1/8 ounces) bread flour
    3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon table salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons white vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 recipe Frosting

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. FOR GANACHE FILLING: Place chocolate, cream, and confectioners’ sugar in medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high power until mixture is warm to touch, 20 to 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth; transfer bowl to refrigerator and let stand until just chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.

2. FOR CUPCAKES: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-size muffin pan (cups have ½-cup capacity) with baking-cup liners. Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

3. Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

4. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Place one slightly rounded teaspoon ganache filling on top of each cupcake. Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour.

5. TO FROST: Mound 2 to 3 tablespoons frosting on center of each cupcake. Using small icing spatula or butter knife, spread frosting to edge of cupcake, leaving slight mound in center.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5