Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you add a melted marshmallow to a batch of whipped cream it stabilizes the whipped cream for quite a while. However don't know much about the kosher thing.

An italian buttercream is also a good idea but then you have to do the complicated recipe (which I do every once in a while). However a great shortcut is a butter based butter cream with a jar of fluff mixed in. Delicious, approximates the italian buttercream and no fuss.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

During the marshmallow fluff post from a few weeks ago someone posted a frosting recipe that was 2 jars of marshmallow fluff and a cup of butter whipped until well combined. I haven't tried the recipe yet but if you used a light butter like pp mentioned it might work for you and it sounds like it would be so yummy
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

That would be me and it's delicious. Like lick it off the spoon good. Buttery taste but not overly rich (if that can be said about a frosting). Plus it's easy as all get out.

I've always used the recipe on the side of the domino confectioner sugar box. There's no crisco in it. I use butter, milk, vanilla and the sugar.

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Swiss meringue buttercream is another option - you "cook" eggwhites and sugar over hot water, then start beating it till soft peaks form, then add butter little by little till all is incorporated and continue to beat till you get a glossy frosting. check out photos in this link that I posted to see if it's white enough for you:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=383377

Like PP said, Black Forest uses whipped cream. You can stabilize whipped cream with cornstarch (you can do that by adding confectioner's sugar which already has cornstarch). But this is not the best way. If you don't mind, you could use gelatin which would definitely stabilize it. Another way would be to add some cream cheese to stabilize it. I'll post the recipe if I can find it.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow. some of these sound fabulous. Remind me to come here with cooking questions!

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You can use PW's favorite icing. It's what I use for red velvet cake. It is delicious.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...99ve-ever-had/
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayzy View Post
    I've always used the recipe on the side of the domino confectioner sugar box. There's no crisco in it. I use butter, milk, vanilla and the sugar.

I don't like the idea of Crisco in the frosting either!
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

Quote Originally Posted by larig View Post
    You can use PW's favorite icing. It's what I use for red velvet cake. It is delicious.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kit...99ve-ever-had/
    Hmmm, bookmarking this one. The reviews for it are great!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

These are really good, and taste very similar to the simple on the bag of C&H (or Domino) powdered sugar. I made one with marshmallow fluff that someone posted here and it was okay, but not great.

Magnolia Bakery Frosting

Sprinkles Frosting recipe (I made this but did it plain without the strawberries and it was delish--I found it on another website, but it's the same, but now I know how to do strawberries!)

C&H Buttercream frosting recipe:
    Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients
    3 3/4 cups C&H Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
    3 to 4 tablespoons milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:
    Combine in large bowl, with mixer at low speed, powdered' sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat at medium speed 1-2 minutes until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency. Makes enough to fill and frost 2-layer cake, 13x9x2-inch sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast