3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Dryer Vent Cleaning?

Who do I hire to clean the dryer vent from the dryer to the outside? I am worried about the build up of lint. What do others do??

I know of several local companies that do it in our town. They often advertise in those free coupon/flyer mailings that come all the time.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I bought an attachment that goes on a cordless drill, and it cleans out the vent. Cheaper than calling someone. We try to do it twice a year, so there is no too much to come out. First time though, there was a fair bit of stuff. Reminds me it is time ti do it again..DH will not be pleased as he hates doing it, it is only about 30 mins, but you have to unattach Vent from dryer, put an insert on it, so some fiddling with the dryer

I am on iPad...so I will post back later with a link

We are hoping to renovate kitchen/laundry in a few years and I want to put dryer on external wall, so the vent will not be long. Our current set up, it is on internal wall, vent goes in wall, under floor for about 5 ft.

ETA. Here is what we have
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-.../dp/B0014CN8Y8

If you want more information on it, the website is linteater.com You have to follow the instructions about how to screw on each pole, it's opposite to what you think, so the roation of the drill dosn't undo it. It's not difficult, but you just have to read the instructions...

It's worth cleaning out the vent. 1) less chance of fire (we know someone who this happened to) 2). Back-up of lint can damage your dryer - we had to call a repair man as the dryer stopped working, and he had to clean out tonnes of lint from the dryer itself, then told me to clean out the vent. 3) clothes dry faster after the vent is cleaned out.
    Last edited by niccig; 02-06-2011 at 04:30 AM.

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I bought an attachment that goes on a cordless drill, and it cleans out the vent. Cheaper than calling someone. We try to do it twice a year, so there is no too much to come out. First time though, there was a fair bit of stuff. Reminds me it is time ti do it again..DH will not be pleased as he hates doing it, it is only about 30 mins, but you have to unattach Vent from dryer, put an insert on it, so some fiddling with the dryer

I am on iPad...so I will post back later with a link

We are hoping to renovate kitchen/laundry in a few years and I want to put dryer on external wall, so the vent will not be long. Our current set up, it is on internal wall, vent goes in wall, under floor for about 5 ft.

ETA. Here is what we have
    http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-.../dp/B0014CN8Y8

If you want more information on it, the website is linteater.com You have to follow the instructions about how to screw on each pole, it's opposite to what you think, so the roation of the drill dosn't undo it. It's not difficult, but you just have to read the instructions...

It's worth cleaning out the vent. 1) less chance of fire (we know someone who this happened to) 2). Back-up of lint can damage your dryer - we had to call a repair man as the dryer stopped working, and he had to clean out tonnes of lint from the dryer itself, then told me to clean out the vent. 3) clothes dry faster after the vent is cleaned out.
    Awesome thanks! This will totally work. I am paranoid about fire so that's one of the main reasons i want to get this done.

Thanks! I plan to try this out.