ormc is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Trying to figure out newborn CD stash...

We're going to CD #3 due in just over 2 months. I'm starting from scratch and I want to make sure I don't over-buy. Looking for recommendations on what to buy (for a newborn) based on:

- I'm leaning towards fitteds because I think prefolds will discourage me. We're not on a super-tight budget, so cost is not a driving factor but I don't want to spend more than I need to.

- Leaking would probably be the biggest cloth "issue" for me. I don't really care about bulkiness or cuteness. I just want the one least likely to leak.

- I don't think I'd like the one-size option from the get-go. My first 2 babies were (and still are) skinny - especially the legs and waist.

- I could tolerate laundering them every other day. So was thinking a minimum of 24?

Based on lots of good reviews, I bought 12 Kissaluv Size 0s. To round out the rest, I'm debating buying 12 more fitteds in other brands (a mixture of Thirsty Fab Fitteds and Bamboozles) or just a few other fitteds and the rest prefolds.

I know every baby is different, but can I assume the average life I'd get out of these would be 3-4 months? So in a few months I'd be buying all over again? Maybe I'll be spending more $$ on these than I thought...

Would love any suggestions/recommendations!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We only cloth diapered DD1 at night using Fuzzi Bunz one sizes and while I liked them for that I can't see using them from the beginning with a newborn. We tried them with DD2 at 6 mos. and the fit was okay, but we got a better fit with pre folds for her when we cloth diapered her (we are now doing all disposable).

I loved prefolds and just did the basic fold in thirds fold and pinned them with a snappi and put them in either a Thirsties Duo, a Thirsties regular cover, or a Bummis cover. I liked all of the covers, but preferred the Thirsties Duo for my chunky thigh daughter. We used a diaper service with DD2 and so that's why we only did prefolds. I also thought about doing Green Mountain Diapers Workhorse Fitteds, but we just decided to go with disposables full time at 6 mos. as both DH and I work full time outside the home, plus since DD2 had irritation to the diaper service detergent I was a little eery of that happening again even though I use free and clear detergent.

Cost wise I don't think you can beat the affordability of prefolds, basic Thirsties Duo covers, or Green Mountain Workhorse Fitted and a Thirsties Duo cover. If I didn't work full time, or DD2 didn't have any issues with yeast infections I most likely would've continued that routine.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

can't speak from experience yet, as our 1st is still in utero, though due to be showing up shortly. but based on advice here and around our VERY cloth friendly town, we're going with about 20ish kissaluvs and a dozen prefolds under thirsties covers for the newborn stage and then will be trying a trial package and some AIOs (prob kissaluvs marvels and bumgenous elementals organics + ??). Will let you know how it goes!

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ormc View Post
    We're going to CD #3 due in just over 2 months. I'm starting from scratch and I want to make sure I don't over-buy. Looking for recommendations on what to buy (for a newborn) based on:

- I'm leaning towards fitteds because I think prefolds will discourage me. We're not on a super-tight budget, so cost is not a driving factor but I don't want to spend more than I need to.

- Leaking would probably be the biggest cloth "issue" for me. I don't really care about bulkiness or cuteness. I just want the one least likely to leak.

- I don't think I'd like the one-size option from the get-go. My first 2 babies were (and still are) skinny - especially the legs and waist.

- I could tolerate laundering them every other day. So was thinking a minimum of 24?

Based on lots of good reviews, I bought 12 Kissaluv Size 0s. To round out the rest, I'm debating buying 12 more fitteds in other brands (a mixture of Thirsty Fab Fitteds and Bamboozles) or just a few other fitteds and the rest prefolds.

I know every baby is different, but can I assume the average life I'd get out of these would be 3-4 months? So in a few months I'd be buying all over again? Maybe I'll be spending more $$ on these than I thought...

Would love any suggestions/recommendations!
    A minimum of 24-30 is good for newborns. You can definitely do all fitteds - I'm not sure how well the Thirsties do absorbancy wise and I thought Bamboozles are only two sizes so they might be super big on a newborn. I would definitely get a dozen prefolds b/c they are so cheap and very easy.

It depends on how big your baby is and how fast they grow, but most newborn diapers last until 12 pounds. I know DS was 7 lbs at birth and 12 lbs around 3 months.

Most people then go to one-size diapers after the newborn stage - the BG pockets or elementals are great or you can keep doing the fitteds and get one-size there as well. Remember that you can sell your newborn stash and recoup most of your money there!!

Also, do you have covers? The Bummis Super Brite are great for newborns since they have gussets and are really small. The Thirsties Duo size 1 are also great too.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

We used green mountain diapers newborn size prefolds with proraps preemie diaper covers. Our DD was tiny, 5lbs, 9oz, with tiny skinny legs. We had to fold the prefold down in the back because they were a little big, but we only did for a few weeks. She never seemed to mind. These lasted until she was 6 weeks ish. Then we moved up to GMD small prefolds and Thirsties Duo Size 1, and she was in them until 3 months. Now she is in GMD medium prefolds with Thirsties Duo Size 2. These will last until 36 months.

The GMD prefolds are great! I don't have anything to compare them to but they are very good quality, we love them. The proraps newborn size were awesome because they have gussets and the newborn belly button dip. And we love, love, love the Thirsties Duo wraps. We have also tried Motherease AirFlow, and they worked good too. These don't have gussets, but they do the job. We used these in x-small with the GMD smalls. When we moved up to GMD mediums, I bought the Motherease mediums, and I don't like them. They switched the snaps around, and it's always confusing because they snap the opposite direction that the Thirsties do. We are only using them at night now because they are still huge on her. They fit better at night when we use a diaper doubler. They're also kind of noisy. I also have a Flip and I don't like it. The fit is weird and there are no gussets. I thought I woud like the double panel of snaps, but the Thirsties are better in this dept. The flip stays in our diaper bag as a backup cover.

This is how many we have:

36 newborn GMD prefolds
    6 preemie Proraps covers

30 small GMD prefolds
    3 size 1 Thirsties Duo with snaps covers
    1 x-small Motherease AirFlow cover

30 medium GMD prefolds
    3 size 2 Thirsties Duo with snaps covers
    3 medium Motherease AirFlow covers

3 dozen newborns was the perfect amount for us. I washed them every other day. And with the newborn poop, 6 diaper covers was also the perfect amount.

2 and 1/2 dozen prefolds in small was the perfect amount too. By then we weren't going through as many, and I still washed them every other day. I definitely could have used 2 more Size 1 Thirsties, but will get more when/if we have another.

2 and 1/2 dozen prefolds in medium is kind of too much. But now I can wash them every 3 days and if we go on a weekend trip, we should have plenty. And I have been meaning to order more Size 2 Thirsties, maybe 2 more, but we are starting EC, so I would rather spend it on potties and underwear.
    DD 6/10

LOVE Kissaluvs 0 (newborn) fitteds, and they make up the bulk of my newborn stash. Along with some Swaddlebees organic velour fitteds and Loveybums. 36 diapers total, and I washed every 3rd day.

For covers, you can't beat Thirsties newborn size. Get about 4-6 of them.

I agree with you that the one-size type aren't great on newborns--too bulky and leaky with the runny poop. But at about 2-3 months you can switch to them (at 10 lbs. is good). I think the max. you will get out of newborn diapers is 3 months. This is what many people go with the cheapest option--prefolds.

That said, after having a baby, I am a mess, and too tired to deal with a screaming baby while I try to fold a prefold around them. That's just me. Tri-folding it and laying in a wrap works for some people, it was too poopy-messy for my kids (we needed leg gussets!) and I don't like plasticky covers up against my babies skin. So for us, fitteds and covers won out.

3 babies later, my Kissaluvs and Loveybums are still going strong, and packed away for a possible 4th some day in the future. So I sure got my money's worth out of them! I just bought the Swaddlebees with this last baby, but I adore them too.

The Bamboozles--in my opinion are big and bulky, not that absorbent, take a long time to dry. Bought one and sold it.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

I did newborn prefolds and nb prowraps. NB prowraps are cheap and awesome - though I didn't care for them at the bigger sizes. Prefolds on newborns are easy - I pinned, with snappi as a second choice - DH just laid them in the wrap but I don't like that method. Cheap and easy.

I didn't like the kissaluvs 0s.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Can't comment on size 0, but we have Kissaluvs 1s and 2s that I found used. They are GREAT. We only have a handful and usually use GMD prefolds, but we save the fitteds for long "outings".

I strongly recommend Thirsties Duo covers (the expandable ones). Sprog's first size lasted from birth to 5 months. She'll be wearing her current size 2 ones through toddlerhood, I'm certain. They fit very, very well and have since she was born.

We also had a few regular Thirsties covers that we picked up used. They were fine, too. But the Duos are trimmer and of course, you get twice the life out of them.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

PS - now that Sprog is toddling and sometimes fighting diaper changes, I especially appreciate the ease of the snapping fitteds. But prefolds are still fine because we're experts now!

Prefolds were very easy when she was tiny and didn't object.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

ormc is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Thank you all so much!

If #3 is anything like my first 2, he/she will have skinny legs and waist. And although my boys were 8+ pounders at birth, they hang out at about the 50% so I doubt this one will be chunky. I think my BM is skim! But you never know I guess.

I'm glad to hear lots of people like the kissaluvs. Am trying to convince my husband that we can do some prefolds, although I think they'll still intimidate me until I've done a few.

I think I'll go with the newborn prowaps and the Thirsty Duo covers - have heard lots of good reviews on both.