AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Cleaning Up Diaper Gel?

DD had an overnight diaper burst at a seam. It filled her crib and is ALL OVER. I managed to get it out of the carpet by slowly picking it up piece by piece. But her sheet is coated. As is her blankie which is fuzzy on one side and velvety on the other. The blankie has lots stuck to both sides and the tag of course says "handwash and hang dry" I've had goodluck in the past washing it in the past but I don't want all this crap in my house's pipes (its old and we already have plumbing issues)

Is there any trick to getting it out of the blanket and sheet without washing it. I'm sure its going to take repeated washings. I tried letting it dry hoping it would just turn back to flacks - its day 3, no luck so far.

FWIW, we do cloth diapers, with ocassional disposables, and there have been occasions where a disposable has made its way into the diaper laundry - like, through the washing machine and all - it's gross but no ill effects on the pipes (one house was 50some years old, this house is 80some - and we're talking a whole diaper going through, not part of one!)

I wouldn't worry about washing it.

That polymer goop will take a LONG time to dry back out.
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 02-07-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Default Once the

superabsorbent polymers have gotten wet they permanently tie up the water. They will not dry back up. That said, if they are already wet, they will not swell past their total capacity (probably 100-200%) so if you washed them off onto a strainer in the sink, you would have no worries. I also wouldn't worry too much about the laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by missprettychemist View Post
    superabsorbent polymers have gotten wet they permanently tie up the water. They will not dry back up. That said, if they are already wet, they will not swell past their total capacity (probably 100-200%) so if you washed them off onto a strainer in the sink, you would have no worries. I also wouldn't worry too much about the laundry.
    I don't think this is entirely true as that make that plant stuff you're supposed to be able to use over and over. That stuff WILL dry up again - but it takes FOREVER. Not entirely sure how it compares to diapers but it's similar. but when I say a long time I am talking longer than the average person would care to wait... like, a year!
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 02-07-2011 at 06:48 PM.