Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    calv is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I'm crying for the second time reading that article. I was so touched by it.
    she has a beautiful blog doesn't she? I love her photos, obviously she's a photograher! <3

as far as the fancy party. to each their own. if you have the time, great. If you have the money, great. If you have the talent great. I'm sure many roll their eyes at the type of baby showers and bday parties the celebs get/throw, what's wrong w/her party, especially if it's her forte/business? another one who loves the owl theme!

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think great for her to have thrown such a well organized, beautifully decorated and themed birthday party for her little one. Would her daughter have been just as happy with a less elaborate party? Probably. But I'm sure her daughter was thrilled with this party! Either way, it was a beautifully done party. I don't have a creative bone in my body, and I could never put together something so cute. I am surprised by the negative feedback. I don't see it as trying to outdo anybody else or about trying to throw around a lot of money. This is the mom's trade, and she is clearly creative and talented at what she does. It is a great way for her to showcase her work and to throw a fantastic party. To each his own, and if that is what the mother wanted to do for her daughter, I say all the more power to her!
    Last edited by MMMommy; 02-08-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    If I ever caught my child bragging about how expensive soemthing was or his perceived status, I can tell you, it wouldn't be pretty.
    Seriously.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I was surprised that she emailed the etsy seller 80 times jsut to get an invitation right. Seriously, my wedding invitations did not require that much thought! You'd think the seller, after mayber email #50, would have told her to look elsewhere for her perfect invitations.
    Also, it seems this lady had lots of helpful friends. I can't imagine bothering my friends to help with my over-the-top kids party.
    SAHM to:

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow! What cool parties. Stuff like that really inspires me and their creativity is fabulous.

Great ideas!

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think both parties were nicely done with a great attention to detail. I don't think I saw the Fairy one before, but I remember the Parents article...I mean this lady had personalized champagne glasses to celebrate the birth in the hospital, so clearly she is crafty.

I think part of it is the fabulous photography. The photos really show the details and are lovely.

I also feel that for the Owl Party (love the theme!) that since the mom is in the cookie/cake business, a lot of the stuff comes naturally to her. The decorations were awesome. The invite mentioned dinner and she didn't show any of that food so who knows what they had. She was showcasing her baked treats and decor. I think it came out great.

I do think her Elmo party had too much candy though, and the goldfish...well I don't know what to say to that really. And we did an elmo party for 2 and used almost the same wording so I think she stole my ideas

I've done a few biggish parties for DD but each subsequent one has been less detailed and more licensed themed. Her first birthday had a lot of little details but no where near as beautiful as these parties. Favors for the adults and kids...I tailored the kids ones to their age. I handmade the invites, the cake was gorgeous (my neighbor is a wedding cake decorator and made it for us for the price of a grocery store cake). Sure it was for DH and I....DD could care less about these details, but we had fun throwing it. However I've gotten burned out and can't seem to muster the time or energy to do that many details!

So all the power to these ladies if they can pull it off. I would LOVE to attend a party like this and wouldn't feel I had to explain to DD since she knows all parties are different. And you know what? After she leaves each party she says, "that was the best party EVER".

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alien_host View Post
    After she leaves each party she says, "that was the best party EVER".

So true!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    I think it's absolutely adorable, but I wouldn't be comfortable throwing a party like that for my DD...time and finances aside. It's a birthday, it's not a graduation, it's not anything that is celebrating an accomplishment or something to be proud of. For accomplishment celebrations...heck yeah...I plan to go ALL OUT as a way to congratulate my kids for their hard work. I just think this much extravagance at a child's birthday party really sends the wrong message...one of entitlement and one of self absorption.

I don't look down on her at all and my opinion isn't one of jealousy (I can do anything I set my mind to)...this type of party just isn't for us.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Everything there looked amazing, but I'd worry about the message it sends the kids, and the pressure the girl's friends feel to have an equally amazing party (and the moms might feel pressured too). The mom's a professional and she's promoting her business, but I don't think the kids will understand that.

Other than that I was just SHOCKED by the amount of sugary stuff and candy at her parties (especially the sesame street one). That would probably bother me as a guest, that my kid would get all sugared up.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    The only negative I have is that I wonder what she does with all the 'stuff' when she's done? Does she have a store front that it goes to? What is she going to do tomorrow or next year with those brown table cloths, and all those candy jars. I'm hoping she uses them for work and that they don't end up in the land fill.
    That's what I wonder about. I like to throw parties and I'm pretty crafty (I did all of our wedding things and we were in a wedding magazine), but I can't justify making a bunch of stuff or buying a bunch of table cloths specifically for a party. What do I do with it after? It just seems wasteful. I'm not referring to money, but rather things.

Anyways, it was very pretty. And so was the fairy party. Even though I was a negative poster in that thread. I just sometimes get the feeling with these types of blogs that it's for show, not for real life. I have a blog for family and sometimes I do feel like we're putting on an act. Like instead of enjoying a beautiful day at the beach, we're trying to get a good shot for the blog. We've cut back a lot and just try to enjoy ourselves!
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    My wedding was not that fancy. So what the heck is she going to do for 6?

Much less her wedding. As I was scrolling through the pictures, I found myself thinking I'd hate to be that child's wedding planner . . .
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast