Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default a birthday party to beat that fairy party

seriously, if I was a mom who had a kid at this party I would just throw my arms up and say "I give!". How could anything else compare?

http://www.jennycookies.com/2011/01/...-birthday.html

The woman who did DS's birth announcements (etsy seller lukecommasara, who I found out about here) did the design of all the paper stuff for the party.

The cake display from this party beats any wedding I've ever been to.

editing to add link to the fairy party for comparison: http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/05/...ous-party.html
    Last edited by candaceb; 02-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Is it kosher to just hate her? Who can do that?????
    Mommy to my little bear cubs DD1 and DD2- 4/2010 and 4/2012

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Definitely someone with money. Lots of money.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior

she might have money (the purchased paper goods are a HUGE tip off on that-- labelled bottles of water? yikes...that sorta bugs me actually), but i'm pretty sure that pink sleeveless dress with the tulle skirt that her child is in is straight from target -- ours has them in pink and in white. they are pretty, and simple (so they look really classic) but i was REALLY surprised to see that.

i figured she did her own desserts (she sells designer cookies, right?) so she might have all that-- the display didn't look too elaborate if you already have stuff like that.....the tissue paper globes could be picked up fairly cheap or made (she lives i think in the pacific northwest-- so maybe she got them at an asian homegoods store or something?)... the cupcake wrapper garlands did seem like an expensive idea to me, because those were more "designer" looking cupcake papers, but they weren't all the garlands.... (some were just paper dots it seemed like?)

some of the decor (vases/lanterns) looked like things that could have been repurposed from their house?

the most expensive things to me seemed like the paper goods and the owl masks/capes. i thought it was a cute party...but i still like the fairy one better

oh-- and as someone who tends to go to EXTREMES when i do "theme" parties-- this is certainly not a "requirement" for any child i've ever met!!!! it's all about the mom. i say -- "if that's fun for you... whatever floats your boat."

my guess on this one is that her business is sorta in this line--- and perhaps this is a bit of "advertising." i'll never be in the circumstance to have a crazy party like that for my child-- one that requires renting a BARN, but i do like to add little touches and details whenever we do entertain.... my child is only THREE. sometimes she notices, sometimes she does not. we had a little fairy birthday party playdate and i went crazy with wings/decor/themed food. i'm pretty sure the "chicken wands" were over the children's head... but they did enjoy the shredded wheat "bird's nests" i served there green bean/tomato/mozzerella salad in. (mostly because they were delicious) my child did have fun passing out wings when each friend arrived and giving them a fairy teaset when they left. they also enjoyed having lots to eat, and lots of time to play (mostly with our normal toys though i did cull and put out things like fairy books, puzzles, games)

every year i throw an elaborate easter party (and have since graduate school). invitations, food,decorations,egghunt, favors, champagne, etcetc. we do it at home (we are in a townhouse and have the egghunt at a neighborhood park), but it's definitely excessive. it's my hobby for about 2 months- thinking about the food and if i need any new decorations, how to make the egghunt smoother, do i need favors/prizes for the adults ? do i have enough for the children? should i knit a little something for the egg hunt eggs? should we have egg dying this year or skip? etcetc. the kids have fun, everyone enjoys the menu that's comfortably similar each year but always being "tweaked" and perfected. i don't expect everyone to ooh and ahh over all the little details i try to incorporate, but i love it when they do. mostly i love everyone having a really good time and leaving relaxed and full

this is how we do "party" or "celebration".... like i say, i tend toward excess. if there is a balloon and some form of cake and presents, my child is perfectly accepting that something is a "birthday." in fact, any excuse to sing "happy birthday!"

WoW. That is excessive. I sure hope this was something as PP suggested she is using to promote her business. Its way over the top. I dont even remember my 5th birthday, I bet by the time she is in her 20s this little one only remembers through pictures. Im sure her daughter and friends had a lovely time, but this is clearly a showboat for the adults.

ETA: Maybe that was too harsh...lol Im jealous of the Jonses I guess!
    Last edited by WolfpackMom; 02-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I dont even remember my 5th birthday
    I remember mine! It was at McDonald's and it was the party of my dreams

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    LOL I actually think mine was McDonalds too, at least there are pictures of me at McDonalds around that age with one of those cakes with a sugar Ronald on it that they used to have there for birthdays. But I dont remember the actual party at all.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    LOL I actually think mine was McDonalds too, at least there are pictures of me at McDonalds around that age with one of those cakes with a sugar Ronald on it that they used to have there for birthdays. But I dont remember the actual party at all.
    Circa 1982 they gave you a brown paper hat so you could pretend to be a McDonald's employee... ahhhh, the thrill...

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    That's where we had my kids' bday this past year and it was PERFECT!!! Super easy, cheap and everyone had an awesome time. Clean up was great too.

I think that party is darling, but it made me tired to look at it.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast