Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't have a problem with this. Some people have means. They chose where to spend those means. If I had these means, I'm sure I'd do a version of the things she did. I wouldn't do owls. But my invitations are gorgeous, I know it, and I love doing them. Other people take the postcards from Chuck E. Cheese and fill them out. That's their thing, no judgment from me. Those pastries on sticks? FanFreakinTastic. I want to do that. The back to basics activities, like painting the owls and musical chairs and pin the tail? Great. And I really loved that "Film Festivaly" backdrop so people could take pix. How cheap and fun is that?! I'm doing that next year, too. I didn't love it all, like I don't wanna moniker everything with DS's name cuz no one wants other kids names on their stuff. That's the arrogant part of it, to me. And the giveaways were a bit skewed in age and, yes, a bit much.

But, again, this chick has a thing, clearly this is hers, and I say a big so what? I'm gonna copy alot of what I saw there. I take so much pride in DS's bday parties. He's got a finite amount of them, and I want them to be memorable, not just for him, but for me and DH, too. He's the only kid we've got, and we celebrate his bday for ourselves, too, with a bittersweet joy that our baby is another year older.

Was it excessive? Yeah, for me it was a bit much. But that's me. I'm still gonna borrow some of the ideas ...
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Te he he... when I read your thread title, I thought you were trying to compete with our Fairy here on BBB.
    I wasn't sure that wasn't the case, too! I was like, is someone thinking they need to keep up with me and my anti-BOC'ness or somethin'? But then i thought, no has to be that fairy bday thread, tho there was a glimmer of worry. Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by dowlinal View Post
    I have to say that I think that party was really sweet. I really don't understand why people get upset at these types of parties. If it's not your style, then don't have one like this. I throw my kids parties that come close to these because I enjoy doing it for my kids and I love watching them have fun at the parties. It bothers me to think that people attending the parties might be mad at me for throwing them.

Last year when my younger daughter turned four, I turn my whole house into a Candyland Board game. The kids followed felt squares from room to room and each room was a different stop on the board. For the twins first birthday, I turned my backyard into a Mickey Mouse Carnival complete with homemade disney themed carnival games and food. Just yesturday I had a Lady Bug and Butterfly Brunch for my girls and we filled our house with handmade tissue flowers and huge painted butterflys and had tons of ladybug and butterfly desserts.

I agree with those who have pointed out that these parties don't always cost that much money. I am a crafty person and I spend a lot of time and energy creating parties for my four. My girls are older now and they love to help me make the party stuff. We'll spend weeks making decorations and baking cookies and cakes.

Also, my girls remember their parties and love looking at the pictures from them.
    This is a GREAT idea. Hmm ... more food for though fro next year ...

Quote Originally Posted by randomkid View Post
    I totally understand why people get upset over these types of parties. Because I don't have the time, resources or creativity to do one. If my 6yo were to go to a party like that, she would likely be asking me for one just like it. She has already asked for a huge bounce house like one at a party we went to. It was $300 to rent one that big - I spent less than that on her entire party. She also wants a playroom because her friends have one. We don't have an extra room to make a playroom. I get tired of "disappointing" her and having to explain why we can't have XYZ like her friends do.
    I guess I understand that it can be stressful to go to a fabulous party or see something that people you know have, and then have to explain to DCs why they can't have the same thing. When DS goes to Pump It Up, he asks me every time, please can we have my party there. No, no, and hell no. We cannot. I hate it there. I wouldn't go there if you paid me a thousand dollars. *hatred* But he loves it, so great, he can go to other kids parties, and I don't judge the moms for having them there, even if it means I have to tell DS for the 17th time that no, I'm sorry, we cannot have it there. Why? Because, that's why, and we just move along. But if we're applying that to playrooms, I guess I just don't know where the analogy stops. Most of DS's friends live in townhomes; we live in a house. I cannot worry about how those moms are gonna feel if their kid comes over here on a playdate. And I will not stop throwing big, relatively elaborate parties. If parents feel like they have to keep up with me, then they reeeeally don't know me at all.

Like I said before, I'm going to learn from this chick and borrow some of the great ideas, even if I wouldn't have chosen all of them.

I might be more immune to this amazing party too since I can waste copious amounts of time on www.ohdeedoh.com (kid's apartment therapy site) and torture myself with the amazing parties parents throw. They are every bit as fabulous as the owl party but often smaller, sometimes bigger, but with style and design and helped by etsy. I liberally borrow ideas from them or just wish I could . . .

So, for those who don't like design rich parties, stay away from ohdeedoh! It will make your head explode from the cuteness, sophistication and style.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I might be more immune to this amazing party too since I can waste copious amounts of time on www.ohdeedoh.com (kid's apartment therapy site) and torture myself with the amazing parties parents throw. They are every bit as fabulous as the owl party but often smaller, sometimes bigger, but with style and design and helped by etsy. I liberally borrow ideas from them or just wish I could . . .

So, for those who don't like design rich parties, stay away from ohdeedoh! It will make your head explode from the cuteness, sophistication and style.
    Is there something like ohdeedoh for grown up rooms and home decor in general? I'm so not a home decorator but would love some ideas for our new home!

MamaSnoo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The party is absolutely gorgeous. Honestly, if my DD was invited, I would come home feeling a little bad about how un-elaborate our parties are (so far we have just done cupcakes and a banner with family only....but she is only 2).

However, I think, in this case, this is as much about promoting her business as anything else. She seems to have a cool business that she really enjoys; no one can fault her for that. It is nice that her little girl could benefit from her promotional activities.

Personally, I do not have the time and energy to put into designing a party like that. I would rather spend my free time playing with DD, but I work long hours and have very limited free time. If I had more time on my hands, I think it would be fun to do up a bunch of crafty stuff for a party. It would be esp. fun if DD like crafts too and could participate in the preparation (might not look as nice). However, I doubt I would take it that far...NMS.
    Bug-a-wug 3/2008

Baby-Boy 5/2012.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I originally posted before realizing she was a professional baker and perhaps party planner. It make me feel somewhat better to know that this is essentially a catalog shoot for her business. Although I do wonder how her kids will feel about that in their later years.

I think Katie put her finger on what bothers me. It is not the elaborateness of the party. I love parties. I love to throw parties. I love to DIY and make things. But this is a faux "DIY" party at best. She's a professional with a professional kitchen and from the description it took her and 7 other people to set it all up. Because I don't care how crafty you are, to DIY this would take many man hours of time and several hundred dollars, at minimum, of materials. Any 1 or 2 of these elements would be super fun. All of them at the same party is just way too much IMO.

And it just makes *me* personally very uncomfortable to be that elaborate for a child's birthday party.
    Last edited by egoldber; 02-08-2011 at 08:27 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I saw an ad last night for Outrageous Kids Parties on TLC, new shoe about extravagant children's parties. The ad had a little girl cheering out how her party as going to be budgeted for $15k not $1500. Now that show should give some interesting discussion...
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Is there something like ohdeedoh for grown up rooms and home decor in general? I'm so not a home decorator but would love some ideas for our new home!
    The Apartment Therapy portion has great ideas for grown-ups.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast