Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

She has an incredible talent and energy and obviously is using this party to promote her business. Her daughter and friends and adult friends (I'm sure) enjoy a magical celebration that is over the top, but that adds to the charm to a point. ( I agree that I would have an issue with the sugar overload -- my DS at 3 went to an extravgant party and threw up after over-indulging in sugar treats half way through...he recovered and was running around again 5 minutes later once he rested his belly).
    I did a super hero party for my son at 4 including making superhero capes for each boy, pink princess capes for the girls, etc. DH was ready to kill me, and swore we would never do another party ourselves. (He was asked to blow up with the compressor those stand up punching bags and that pushed him over the top). Just prior to his next birthday, DS suggested that I could make capes again -- Oh no, that is NOT going to happen. I loved doing it, but frankly I felt a little weird with all of the praise from the other moms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    The price has to be up there, even with the DIY aspect, but to me the craziest parts are the labor-intensiveness and the time suck of it all. Just coordinating her stable of workhorses and plodding along daily for weeks for a 5 year-old's party to me is loopy.

Seriously, how does she have time for anything else with all this party planning? My son's 5th bday is in about a month, and I still don't know what we are doing. Better get on that!
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I saw an ad last night for Outrageous Kids Parties on TLC, new shoe about extravagant children's parties. The ad had a little girl cheering out how her party as going to be budgeted for $15k not $1500. Now that show should give some interesting discussion...
    Now that is a whole 'nother discussion. There is having an elaborate party, and then there is bragging about how much money is being spent at your elaborate party. I am wholly against that kind of arrogance and showing off. It's possible to have a party like this and have some humility at the same time. Her business notwithstanding, just remove that from the equation (and no one's saying THIS person's kid did that). I grew up in an area where there were people with alot of money, and then there were people down the street of very average means. You never knew who was loaded and who wasn't cuz it wasn't discussed. Anyway, getting off track, sorry. I have my line in the sand between acceptable and ridiculous, we all have one. This ain't it for me. But behavior is a whole different topic. If I ever caught my child bragging about how expensive soemthing was or his perceived status, I can tell you, it wouldn't be pretty.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Binkandabee View Post
    I just think this much extravagance at a child's birthday party really sends the wrong message...one of entitlement and one of self absorption.

I don't look down on her at all and my opinion isn't one of jealousy (I can do anything I set my mind to)...this type of party just isn't for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Babymakes3 View Post
    Beautiful party! Whats the link to the fairy party everyone is talking about>
    Here's the fairy party:
    http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/05/...ous-party.html

While this party seems a little over-the-top to me, I do appreciate creative, home-made parties. I love the owl theme (cute and original), and the costumes and masks are fun and something the kids will use for dress-up in the future. Honestly, it was just the food that seemed excessive to me, but that's the mom's business, so it's not a surprise that that element would be spotlighted.

There is no way for us to know what was really motivating her. Some throw big parties for show. Others love creating and crafting and want nothing more than to create a magical environment that their child will remember (in part through the photos) forever.

I have enjoyed doing many home-made parties. It started out when my oldest was 1. I made the decorations for his "stars and moon" themed party. The next year, I made animal decorations for his jungle party. And so on and so on. Not every party we do is at home, but I always try to add a creative element--to put my personal touch on it. That's just who I am. If others don't like it or think I am trying to one-up them, then they really have it wrong. I had a blast making a "Death Star pinata" for one party and big paper Truffula trees for another. I don't do eleaborate food (I'm not a good cook), but I like decorations and crafts.

At any rate, live and let live. It's certainly a ton of fun to page through pictures of these parties (like the Fairy party and the recent "Bloom Where You are Planted" party she hosted for her younger daughter).
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    On Another note from this site, this mom was also featured in Parents a few months ago for her very touching story about the birth of her younger DD with downs syndrome. The full story is on her blog here:
    http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/...rth-story.html
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Karinyc is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmintzer View Post
    While this party seems a little over-the-top to me, I do appreciate creative, home-made parties. I love the owl theme (cute and original), and the costumes and masks are fun and something the kids will use for dress-up in the future. Honestly, it was just the food that seemed excessive to me, but that's the mom's business, so it's not a surprise that that element would be spotlighted.

There is no way for us to know what was really motivating her. Some throw big parties for show. Others love creating and crafting and want nothing more than to create a magical environment that their child will remember (in part through the photos) forever.

Obviously the blog promotes her business, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary that she would create such a party & post it there. The only thing that jumps out at me as having "lots of money" is the setting (if that is her house) & size of the party. I love the attention to details (honestly, most seems home-made, just like the fairy party). My DH & I are artistic so we could pull something like that off (except for the space ) Overall, awesome party...I love owls!

I think both parties are lovely. But really, to each his own. You throw the party you want to throw, that's all there is to it. If she thinks this is worth spending money for... it's her money to spend. Do I think there's things worthy to spend on? Absolutely! But in the end, I only have control over what I do... not what other people do. I'm quite surprised at some of the venom I've read on this thread.... seems very high school to me.
    Vanessa

Full-time mommy to Miss Yumi ('08)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    On Another note from this site, this mom was also featured in Parents a few months ago for her very touching story about the birth of her younger DD with downs syndrome. The full story is on her blog here:
    http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/...rth-story.html
    I'm crying for the second time reading that article. I was so touched by it.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast