Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So so so self indulgent.
    K

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    I think this is what is referred to as "Keeping Up With the Joneses"
    Yeah, this was not about the kid. They could have had a beautiful party where the kids decorated masks and/or ceramic owls, both cute ideas, without going quite that overboard. I really find it hard to believe that the kids would have had less fun without all of the over-the-top stuff.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I have some really great friends. But I am pretty sure they'd tell me to take a hike if I asked them to help with all that party set up for a fifth birthday.

Catherine

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would love to know what the budget for that party was. Even if she did do all the desserts herself, cakes like that can't be cheap to produce (if they are, boy are we suckers for paying a fortune for them) the paper goods alone must have cost a pretty penny.

oh-- and as someone who tends to go to EXTREMES when i do "theme" parties-- this is certainly not a "requirement" for any child i've ever met!!!! it's all about the mom. i say -- "if that's fun for you... whatever floats your boat."

my guess on this one is that her business is sorta in this line--- and perhaps this is a bit of "advertising." i'll never be in the circumstance to have a crazy party like that for my child-- one that requires renting a BARN, but i do like to add little touches and details whenever we do entertain.... my child is only THREE. sometimes she notices, sometimes she does not. we had a little fairy birthday party playdate and i went crazy with wings/decor/themed food. i'm pretty sure the "chicken wands" were over the children's head... but they did enjoy the shredded wheat "bird's nests" i served there green bean/tomato/mozzerella salad in. (mostly because they were delicious) my child did have fun passing out wings when each friend arrived and giving them a fairy teaset when they left. they also enjoyed having lots to eat, and lots of time to play (mostly with our normal toys though i did cull and put out things like fairy books, puzzles, games)

every year i throw an elaborate easter party (and have since graduate school). invitations, food,decorations,egghunt, favors, champagne, etcetc. we do it at home (we are in a townhouse and have the egghunt at a neighborhood park), but it's definitely excessive. it's my hobby for about 2 months- thinking about the food and if i need any new decorations, how to make the egghunt smoother, do i need favors/prizes for the adults ? do i have enough for the children? should i knit a little something for the egg hunt eggs? should we have egg dying this year or skip? etcetc. the kids have fun, everyone enjoys the menu that's comfortably similar each year but always being "tweaked" and perfected. i don't expect everyone to ooh and ahh over all the little details i try to incorporate, but i love it when they do. mostly i love everyone having a really good time and leaving relaxed and full

this is how we do "party" or "celebration".... like i say, i tend toward excess. if there is a balloon and some form of cake and presents, my child is perfectly accepting that something is a "birthday." in fact, any excuse to sing "happy birthday!"

WoW. That is excessive. I sure hope this was something as PP suggested she is using to promote her business. Its way over the top. I dont even remember my 5th birthday, I bet by the time she is in her 20s this little one only remembers through pictures. Im sure her daughter and friends had a lovely time, but this is clearly a showboat for the adults.

ETA: Maybe that was too harsh...lol Im jealous of the Jonses I guess!
    Last edited by WolfpackMom; 02-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, that is some owl party. Cute though, and clever way to make it cross gender.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Very cute. I would be really annoyed if my kids came to a party where there were THAT MANY irresistible sweets. That's just insane. I don't mine saying no to a huge bowl of M&Ms but some of that stuff would be hard to turn down.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That cupcake liner garland is so ingenious!
    Aside from the lavish b-day cake, I don't think it's over the top. I think it's really cute. I think that many of the things can be made for not much. So many parents around me have parties at places like the museum and such and those are minimum $200 and up to $500. This party is in that range (maybe even less) and looks creative and fun.

Beth

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I have some really great friends. But I am pretty sure they'd tell me to take a hike if I asked them to help with all that party set up for a fifth birthday.

Catherine

LOL!!! I'd help her with the set-up as long as she baked the cake/
    cookies/cupcakes for my daughter's party.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast