Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

http://itstofosho.edublogs.org/2010/...ls-party-wars/

What about this one from Beverly Hills Housewives. $60,000 for a 4 year old. I want a barbie necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    LOL!!! I'd help her with the set-up as long as she baked the cake/
    cookies/cupcakes for my daughter's party.
    Ah, good point. She probably reciprocates with gorgeous baked goods for their events.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    I think this is what is referred to as "Keeping Up With the Joneses"
    That's not keeping up. That's running them down and leaving them so far behind you hope they never catch up.

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Ah, good point. She probably reciprocates with gorgeous baked goods for their events.

Catherine

If I was her friend, I'd have to buy elastic waist pants to grow with me.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    So many parents around me have parties at places like the museum and such and those are minimum $200 and up to $500. This party is in that range (maybe even less) and looks creative and fun.
    I think I posted something similar in the Fairy Party Thread, but we often spend $400 - 500 on birthday parties in our backyard. We rent large bouncers, do big cookouts, and invite a lot of kids. It's fun and easy for us and we don't entertain a ton, so this is something we do 2x per year. Her party looks a lot more creative and probably not that much more expensive than ours...

I totally get spending less and not wanting to do big parties (and my kids have fun at smaller at home type parties too), this is just something we like to do as a family. We have a huge backyard and having 20+ kids running around, bouncing and playing in sprinklers is fun for us.

While this 5 year old party was fancier than my wedding and more over the top than I would do, I don't think it makes the mom self indulgent and I don't equate this with 50K Sweet Sixteen type craziness
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow! I think what makes me jealous is that it highlights my lack of creativity, my lack of design flair, and my lack of time management skills that would enable me to plan and execute something like that just weeks after the holidays (as she indicated).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hwin708 is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it's lovely! And she does break down a lot of the most expensive looking items in the description, and they frankly don't sound expensive at all, given that they were made out of cheap felt and free labor. I wouldn't be surprised if this party was very much in line with the standard bounce house parties. Just more work.

And to each their own in that regard. Some people are just creative types. They like designing and decorating and event planning. Why would they just not do all that for their kids' parties???

I also will never understand why people say things like "the kids don't care. They would have been fine with a simple cake." Well, sure. Your kids don't need any fancy toys. They're happy with pots and pans. They don't need cute clothes. They're happy with dollar leggings and tshirts. They certainly DON'T want a pretty picture with Santa, as their crying faces would attest. We do a lot of things as parents because WE enjoy them. Kids will soon be teens, and have their own parties, with their own demands. But right now, when you have to plan the whole thing, when the event is just as full with your friends as it is your child's friends, why can't you design it to your tastes? Your kid is happy, either way.

All that being said, I don't throw kids' parties NEARLY as nice as this. But I'll bet mine cost a LOT more, because I don't DIY anything. And given the wide variety of parties I've attended, I really don't think anyone cares if yours isn't as gorgeous as the last one. I marvel at one woman's party throwing skills, another's great shoes, another's impressive job, another's perfectly behaved kids. Everyone has their own "pride and joy." Good for them. They rock theirs, I'll rock mine.

Now I'm scared to open that link.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chottumommy View Post
    Now I'm scared to open that link.
    Open it, open it! Really, I thought it was a very fun looking party. I love reading and seeing pics for parties like this, because then I don't have to do them myself

There are elements of the party I could pull off if I did only one of them. Like, only the masks, or only the wings. And maybe the games. Not the food though, that's totally out of my league And I totally understand what happens when you get the creative bit between your teeth. It's very hard to restrain yourself. I had to do that when planning Dora's 5th party. I just kept telling myself I didn't want to make myself sick the night before
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    I dont even remember my 5th birthday
    I remember mine! It was at McDonald's and it was the party of my dreams

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast