Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I remember mine! It was at McDonald's and it was the party of my dreams
    LOL I actually think mine was McDonalds too, at least there are pictures of me at McDonalds around that age with one of those cakes with a sugar Ronald on it that they used to have there for birthdays. But I dont remember the actual party at all.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Well, darn. I tried to follow the link to her etsy shop person for invites and couldn't get it to work.

Catherine

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

That is the cutest party theme I have ever seen. I love owls..if I had girls I would totally copy that party.

I think some people have extravagant parties like this because they enjoy being creative and planning beautiful parties, it's not necessarily because they are trying to impress people. I have always thrown cute, themed parties for my boys because I love doing it.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I recall a lot of negative comments about the fairy party, too. My feeling is, she seems to be a very creative sort who has a cookie business. I bet this is how she is wired, and I suspect this is also a marketing tool for her cookie business, attracting people to her blog. I have a few friends who are like this, who come up with these little touches that I wouldn't have thought of ina million years. My dd is sort of like this, so I will be interested to see what kinds of parties she throws for her kids

I figure it's a hobby for these people, something I will never relate to, but as long as she can afford it, why not? I bet she figured out how to do this without spending TOO much. Al lot of these things can be made for a reasonable cost if you know what you're doing, and she probably has a lot of props for her business. Heck, I pay gobs of money to party places because I am too lazy to do it myself, so who am I to judge?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    I think it's lovely! And she does break down a lot of the most expensive looking items in the description, and they frankly don't sound expensive at all, given that they were made out of cheap felt and free labor. I wouldn't be surprised if this party was very much in line with the standard bounce house parties. Just more work.

And to each their own in that regard. Some people are just creative types. They like designing and decorating and event planning. Why would they just not do all that for their kids' parties???

I also will never understand why people say things like "the kids don't care. They would have been fine with a simple cake." Well, sure. Your kids don't need any fancy toys. They're happy with pots and pans. They don't need cute clothes. They're happy with dollar leggings and tshirts. They certainly DON'T want a pretty picture with Santa, as their crying faces would attest. We do a lot of things as parents because WE enjoy them. Kids will soon be teens, and have their own parties, with their own demands. But right now, when you have to plan the whole thing, when the event is just as full with your friends as it is your child's friends, why can't you design it to your tastes? Your kid is happy, either way.

All that being said, I don't throw kids' parties NEARLY as nice as this. But I'll bet mine cost a LOT more, because I don't DIY anything. And given the wide variety of parties I've attended, I really don't think anyone cares if yours isn't as gorgeous as the last one. I marvel at one woman's party throwing skills, another's great shoes, another's impressive job, another's perfectly behaved kids. Everyone has their own "pride and joy." Good for them. They rock theirs, I'll rock mine.
    :

so well said. i had fun looking at the pictures, honestly. i'd love to have the time and creativity and the together-ness of being able to pull off something like that off for my kids' bday party someday. also, i think a lot of it is that whoever took the pictures at the party was also really good. i swear, you can make displays etc look way nicer/more artistic than it is IRL with the right photography/editing skills.

i guess i will never understand the need to criticize a mom just bc she took the time/money to do something this...i get that it's not everyone's style or whatever, but why all the assumptions? personally, i just see it as the mom's personal hobby, and/or the mom trying to promote her business (she sells cookies right?). i don't see how it has anything to do with how her kids are becoming spoiled or whatnot. some parents take their kids on $$$ vacations/cruises, some buy their kids fancy video games electronics or whatnot, and some parents do the birthday party thing. as PP said, whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by lcarlson90 View Post
    That is the cutest party theme I have ever seen. I love owls..if I had girls I would totally copy that party.

I think some people have extravagant parties like this because they enjoy being creative and planning beautiful parties, it's not necessarily because they are trying to impress people. I have always thrown cute, themed parties for my boys because I love doing it.
    i agree. i had a monkey-themed party for DS's first birthday party, and i had invitations and water bottle labels custom-made from an Etsy seller. i took a lot of time in figuring out a theme, ordering/selecting favors and had a lot of help from family members in setting stuff up for the party. i spent a lot of time taking pictures. DS is one, no way he's going to remember it or even care. i guess i just enjoy doing this kind of thing, i look forward to putting the pics in his scrapbook for him to have when he is older. scrapbooking/crafts is one of the very few hobbies i have left after having DS, and if that makes me self-indulgent and excessive, so be it!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 02-07-2011 at 05:41 PM.

That beats the hell out of my Ground Round Party when I was 9. I bet her family didn't let her throw peanut shells on the floor. So there. Harumph.

Of course, this just makes me obsess more over Jack and Matthew's birthdays.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Te he he... when I read your thread title, I thought you were trying to compete with our Fairy here on BBB.

lcarlson90 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I am going to email DH this link so he can plan a party like this for my birthday. I seriously love owls. I might look a little silly in the wings and mask but that's okay.
    Gavin 7.30.08
    Dylan 2.24.05

Laurel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lcarlson90 View Post
    This. DH and I really enjoy hosting parties and throw several a year for various holidays and birthdays. It really is not that expensive when you are making everything yourself. My kids would be just as happy at Chuck E. Cheese, but I enjoy it and people have a great time at my parties.
    Laurel

holy wowness...

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast