Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackMom View Post
    LOL I actually think mine was McDonalds too, at least there are pictures of me at McDonalds around that age with one of those cakes with a sugar Ronald on it that they used to have there for birthdays. But I dont remember the actual party at all.
    Circa 1982 they gave you a brown paper hat so you could pretend to be a McDonald's employee... ahhhh, the thrill...

Quote Originally Posted by fortato View Post
    That beats the hell out of my Ground Round Party when I was 9. I bet her family didn't let her throw peanut shells on the floor. So there. Harumph.

Of course, this just makes me obsess more over Jack and Matthew's birthdays.
    Holy Carp! I loved the Ground Round!! Thanks for that little blast from the past.
    Michelle

DS#1 10/02
    DS#2 8/04

Homeschooling mom to 2 middle schoolers, once-owner of the now-defunct My Little Ducks

Quote Originally Posted by mommylamb View Post
    Te he he... when I read your thread title, I thought you were trying to compete with our Fairy here on BBB.
    I thought the exact same thing!

Well, I think that party looked adorable! I'm a sucker for theme parties and the owl theme was super cute.
    Mama to my sweet little girl - 12/2009
    ...and Baby #2 due early August 2012

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have to say that I think that party was really sweet. I really don't understand why people get upset at these types of parties. If it's not your style, then don't have one like this. I throw my kids parties that come close to these because I enjoy doing it for my kids and I love watching them have fun at the parties. It bothers me to think that people attending the parties might be mad at me for throwing them.

Last year when my younger daughter turned four, I turn my whole house into a Candyland Board game. The kids followed felt squares from room to room and each room was a different stop on the board. For the twins first birthday, I turned my backyard into a Mickey Mouse Carnival complete with homemade disney themed carnival games and food. Just yesturday I had a Lady Bug and Butterfly Brunch for my girls and we filled our house with handmade tissue flowers and huge painted butterflys and had tons of ladybug and butterfly desserts.

I agree with those who have pointed out that these parties don't always cost that much money. I am a crafty person and I spend a lot of time and energy creating parties for my four. My girls are older now and they love to help me make the party stuff. We'll spend weeks making decorations and baking cookies and cakes.

Also, my girls remember their parties and love looking at the pictures from them.
    A

DD1 02/04
    DD2 01/06
    and twin boys 05/09

KHF is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Wow! I think what makes me jealous is that it highlights my lack of creativity, my lack of design flair, and my lack of time management skills that would enable me to plan and execute something like that just weeks after the holidays (as she indicated).
    I've done a couple of theme parties for DD (August birthday), but poor DS is doomed to a lifetime of out of the box party decorations and Walmart cakes (his birthday is 3 days before Christmas). I lucked out this year, and his favorite thing in the world is Cars...those decorations and cakes were easy to find!

I did get a little out of control with DD's first birthday party ("1" theme) and her second (Maisy theme), but all the decorations were ones that I'd made. I even made custom bottle labels...not hard when you have access to a color laser printer.

Since having my second child though, DD has had lower key parties (mostly at my mom's house) and a party for her friends at a local bounce house place. These types of ideas are the ones that I did for my wedding....now that I have 2 kids, I just don't have the time or inclination to do it.
    DD - 2005
    DS - 2008

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would love to know what the budget for that party was. Even if she did do all the desserts herself, cakes like that can't be cheap to produce (if they are, boy are we suckers for paying a fortune for them) the paper goods alone must have cost a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by dowlinal View Post
    I have to say that I think that party was really sweet. I really don't understand why people get upset at these types of parties. If it's not your style, then don't have one like this.
    I totally understand why people get upset over these types of parties. Because I don't have the time, resources or creativity to do one. If my 6yo were to go to a party like that, she would likely be asking me for one just like it. She has already asked for a huge bounce house like one at a party we went to. It was $300 to rent one that big - I spent less than that on her entire party. She also wants a playroom because her friends have one. We don't have an extra room to make a playroom. I get tired of "disappointing" her and having to explain why we can't have XYZ like her friends do.

Smillow is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fortato View Post
    That beats the hell out of my Ground Round Party when I was 9. I bet her family didn't let her throw peanut shells on the floor. So there. Harumph.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleRC View Post
    Holy Carp! I loved the Ground Round!! Thanks for that little blast from the past.
    I would so love to have my next birthday at The Ground Round! Good Times

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    I remember mine! It was at McDonald's and it was the party of my dreams
    That's where we had my kids' bday this past year and it was PERFECT!!! Super easy, cheap and everyone had an awesome time. Clean up was great too.

I think that party is darling, but it made me tired to look at it.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This woman just has too much time on her hands! I love making birthday invites with my Stampin Up stamp sets, which is much easier than most people think, but yeah that is just too much! And the post about the bag of crap for the follow up party for this one would be a pitty post I am sure. I will say I do like the granola/trail mix for the party favor. I do like the idea of the water bottle, but I am sure some label could be made with each kids' name on it, and nothing nearly that fancy. Any clue about how much it all cost????

We aren't sure what we are doing for DD1's 5th birthday (either backyard party or Pump It Up party) and even if I do a cute Pinkalicious Pink Lemonade theme (don't shoot me) there are so many ways to keep a party simple, and cute.

This looks like the right place, I just about F'in fell out of my chair!
    A Country Location (silly blogger had the address and location on the invite; can't believe she didn't remove all of the personal information)

I think one of us needs to book mark this site every February so we can see how the parties get bigger and better; can't wait for the sweet 16!
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-08-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: photo removed at request of moderator:)
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast