Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Binkandabee is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think it's absolutely adorable, but I wouldn't be comfortable throwing a party like that for my DD...time and finances aside. It's a birthday, it's not a graduation, it's not anything that is celebrating an accomplishment or something to be proud of. For accomplishment celebrations...heck yeah...I plan to go ALL OUT as a way to congratulate my kids for their hard work. I just think this much extravagance at a child's birthday party really sends the wrong message...one of entitlement and one of self absorption.

I don't look down on her at all and my opinion isn't one of jealousy (I can do anything I set my mind to)...this type of party just isn't for us.

ETA: Ok...I take that back I can't do anything I set my mind to...no way in HELL could I convince my DH to dress in such a way that he matched the theme of any party and he'd divorce me if I asked him to wear pink.
    DD 07/03
    DD 07/08
    Our family is complete!

http://www.jennycookies.com/2010/08/hudson-is-2.html

Her son's 2nd bday was equally outrageous. Seriously. He's TWO. It wasn't at a venue but...

(Yes - she gave goldfish as party gifts. I would be sooo ticked...)
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 02-07-2011 at 08:02 PM.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I do like the idea of the water bottle, but I am sure some label could be made with each kids' name on it, and nothing nearly that fancy. Any clue about how much it all cost????
    I actually think one label would be way easer than a separate one for each kid.

Regardless, DIY water labels are HUGE at weddings the past few years. They're in pretty much every out of town bag I get. Primarily because they are one of the easiest and cheapest wedding crafts to do. Design a rectangular label, print it, cut them out (simply, straight cut), and dab a little glue stick to attach them to the bottles. If you want to go the extra mile, "laminate" them with clear packaging tape, since it is the same width.

So yeah - it's basically paper, ink and a glue stick. Super cheap.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A few thoughts. First off, I agree with people who don't think there is any reason to judge her for this sort of party. We all make choices based on our own values, resources and talents and go from there. For me that means parties start and stop with good food and a fairly nice totally home cook, non pro cake. And that is ok. She clearly has a lot of time on her hands and clearly party planning is a passion of hers. Frankly I think jokingly likening a mom to the devil is just over the top. Seriously. She just has a different hobby than you do and at is ok.

She is local to me (well, in the burbs of Seattle) and I have been to this party site, mainly used for weddings, a couple of times and it is not cheap. I am sure they did not pay what they would have for a wedding there but the site alone puts the cost far above a bouncy or gym party. I do find it disingenuous that she goes on about the cheapness of everything and then skips right over that expense, in an effort to make it look inexpensive.

Finally, I will say that I have been to parties like this. They are fun, the host usually takes genuine joy in being a host. I do however dismiss the idea that parties like this are totally non-commercial. Sure they don't have a character smacked all over them but they are living in the affluent "bobo" style of parenting and are often modeled after stores that target middle class and affluent parents like pbk and land of nod. I think that there is an air of consumerism, even in crafting, if not commercialization. It is selling the idea that there is something better than the ordinary, which is perfectly fine, I just don't thing that you can say with a straight face this is frugal. So in so much as people should not judge, I don't think wow factor party hosts need to maintain an illusion (or perhaps delusion) that this is affordable or doable for all. That cakes and confection are a couple hundred plus in supplies, and surely the food for this party must have been good. It is a trek to get there, she had to have fed them more than chocolate stick owls.
    Last edited by kijip; 02-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

kellij is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post

Her son's 2nd bday was equally outrageous. Seriously. He's TWO. It wasn't at a venue but...

That is amazing!! I feel like her parties are things you see in Family Fun as "ideas" you could do for your kid's birthday, which in reality are impossible for 99% off the people, who aren't like Martha Steward.

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post

She should do this for celebrities, nevermind just the cookies etc. Both cookies and party planning - Tori Spelling would eat this up!
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleRC View Post
    Holy Carp! I loved the Ground Round!! Thanks for that little blast from the past.

I think I need to make a Shirley Temple.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    Definitely someone with money. Lots of money.
    And time. And good friends who have lot of $$$.

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have to say I just looked at the pictures form her son's "Elmo" party, and I think it was pretty awesome too. But damn, that's a lot of sugar...I can't imagine how hopped up those kids must have been on cake and cookies and candy. And live goldfish as a party favor? I an only imagine a lot of little children learned an important lesson about mortality in the weeks following the party.

Melbel is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    I think it's lovely! And she does break down a lot of the most expensive looking items in the description, and they frankly don't sound expensive at all, given that they were made out of cheap felt and free labor. I wouldn't be surprised if this party was very much in line with the standard bounce house parties. Just more work.

And to each their own in that regard. Some people are just creative types. They like designing and decorating and event planning. Why would they just not do all that for their kids' parties???

I also will never understand why people say things like "the kids don't care. They would have been fine with a simple cake." Well, sure. Your kids don't need any fancy toys. They're happy with pots and pans. They don't need cute clothes. They're happy with dollar leggings and tshirts. They certainly DON'T want a pretty picture with Santa, as their crying faces would attest. We do a lot of things as parents because WE enjoy them. Kids will soon be teens, and have their own parties, with their own demands. But right now, when you have to plan the whole thing, when the event is just as full with your friends as it is your child's friends, why can't you design it to your tastes? Your kid is happy, either way.

All that being said, I don't throw kids' parties NEARLY as nice as this. But I'll bet mine cost a LOT more, because I don't DIY anything. And given the wide variety of parties I've attended, I really don't think anyone cares if yours isn't as gorgeous as the last one. I marvel at one woman's party throwing skills, another's great shoes, another's impressive job, another's perfectly behaved kids. Everyone has their own "pride and joy." Good for them. They rock theirs, I'll rock mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    :

so well said. i had fun looking at the pictures, honestly. i'd love to have the time and creativity and the together-ness of being able to pull off something like that off for my kids' bday party someday. also, i think a lot of it is that whoever took the pictures at the party was also really good. i swear, you can make displays etc look way nicer/more artistic than it is IRL with the right photography/editing skills.

i guess i will never understand the need to criticize a mom just bc she took the time/money to do something this...i get that it's not everyone's style or whatever, but why all the assumptions? personally, i just see it as the mom's personal hobby, and/or the mom trying to promote her business (she sells cookies right?). i don't see how it has anything to do with how her kids are becoming spoiled or whatnot. some parents take their kids on $$$ vacations/cruises, some buy their kids fancy video games electronics or whatnot, and some parents do the birthday party thing. as PP said, whatever floats your boat.

I thought it was a perfectly lovely party. FWIW, I also enjoyed the photos of the fairy party. The mom has a natural talent and seems to enjoy putting together all of the details. My daughters would have loved it!

As for the paper goods, there are some amazing options on etsy, for purchase or inspiration. I made labels for the girls water bottles for our trip to NYC using normal paper and glue (they were not going in a cooler so they did not need to be waterproof). You can purchase waterproof labels and DIY (approximate dimensions 2.5 x 8" for water bottles).

I normally like to put together thoughtful themes and party favors, but she lost me at the home baked goodies, embellished table cloths and garland! I do not begrudge her for her dedication and talent though!

ETA: I think someone upthread was looking for the etsy seller for the paper goods. I have used her too with good results. http://www.etsy.com/shop/lukecommasa...ller_usernames
    Last edited by Melbel; 02-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast