I am not even going to try to keep up with the infamous owl or fairy parties. Dd turns 1 this spring. And after some thought, I'd like to something fairly casual at home. I will invite the neighborhood and some friends. Most likely we will have about 20-35 guests with about 10 of those being kids from newborn to age 12.

Assuming her nap schedule doesn't change in the next two months, I think lunchtime would work out best. That means I have to serve lunch. What do you think of this for a menu: chicken salad on mini buns, peanut butter and jelly triangles (no nut allergies amongst our guests), hummus roll ups, fresh fruit, and vegetable tray; lemonade and water; and cupcakes for desert. I am shooting for light lunch and not too messy as we have carpet in our open living room/dining room. Does that sound good? Like enough variety?

We have a million plain plates so I plan to use those with clear disposable plastic cups and paper napkins. No need for silverware with my menu, right?

For theme/decorations, I'm honestly thinking just some nice fresh flowers. And no real theme. Older ds has requested the same cupcakes we had for his birthday. I found a bakery that makes them dairy free and they were delicious and pretty. We had mini cupcakes so I thought I would get those again. Any ideas how to display them?

For entertainment, I thought I could provide bubbles and sidewalk chalk. We have a small patio and front porch area and the party can spill out into those areas. I also thought I would play some low key background music--suggestions?

For favors, I thought I would try kool aid dying some playsilks? Is it okay to assume that if you are too old to want a playsilk, you are too old to expect a favor at a 1 year old's party?

What do you think? What am I forgetting?

Thanks!
Catherine