Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help me plan dd's 1st birthday? (long)

I am not even going to try to keep up with the infamous owl or fairy parties. Dd turns 1 this spring. And after some thought, I'd like to something fairly casual at home. I will invite the neighborhood and some friends. Most likely we will have about 20-35 guests with about 10 of those being kids from newborn to age 12.

Assuming her nap schedule doesn't change in the next two months, I think lunchtime would work out best. That means I have to serve lunch. What do you think of this for a menu: chicken salad on mini buns, peanut butter and jelly triangles (no nut allergies amongst our guests), hummus roll ups, fresh fruit, and vegetable tray; lemonade and water; and cupcakes for desert. I am shooting for light lunch and not too messy as we have carpet in our open living room/dining room. Does that sound good? Like enough variety?

We have a million plain plates so I plan to use those with clear disposable plastic cups and paper napkins. No need for silverware with my menu, right?

For theme/decorations, I'm honestly thinking just some nice fresh flowers. And no real theme. Older ds has requested the same cupcakes we had for his birthday. I found a bakery that makes them dairy free and they were delicious and pretty. We had mini cupcakes so I thought I would get those again. Any ideas how to display them?

For entertainment, I thought I could provide bubbles and sidewalk chalk. We have a small patio and front porch area and the party can spill out into those areas. I also thought I would play some low key background music--suggestions?

For favors, I thought I would try kool aid dying some playsilks? Is it okay to assume that if you are too old to want a playsilk, you are too old to expect a favor at a 1 year old's party?

What do you think? What am I forgetting?

Thanks!
    Catherine

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think your plan sounds great!

We did a cupcake theme for ds2's b-day and made of those giant Wilton cupcakes. http://www.1stwishes.com/Boys-Lil-Cu...uctDetail.aspx

We decorated the cake table with the giant cupcake then smaller cupcakes (some in those Wilton silicon feet stands), balloons and gifts. It was really cute.

I think your menu sounds good. For our last party we bought a ham at Costco and provided rolls if people wanted to make sandwiches out of it. The ham made for great leftovers as there is so much to do with a ham (quiches, soup, sandwiches...).

A cute shirt for dd and don't forget to decorate the high chair (if she'll be in one) for the cake eating pictures!. I worked hard to get the cake eating area set up so the pics would be pretty.

Beth

Excellent point about the pictures in the highchair! Thanks for the tip!

I'm thinking maybe a dress and pants from etsy?

Oh, and invitations. I probably should get on those. Suggestions?

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We sent a Shutterfly photocard invite. I put on cute pictures (or maybe just one picture??) from that year. I also had some collages made on Shutterfly of his 1st year and hung those up for guests to see how he changed.

Beth

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Your party sounds great! Just keep in mind that a 1st party is really for the parents, so plan something that YOU would enjoy, even with 10 kids. Keep things simple so that you and Dh can actually enjoy some of the day.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    Your party sounds great! Just keep in mind that a 1st party is really for the parents, so plan something that YOU would enjoy, even with 10 kids. Keep things simple so that you and Dh can actually enjoy some of the day.
    Definitely trying to keep the menu simple. I would buy the fruit and veggie platters as well as the cupcakes and drinks. So I would need to make the sandwiches and arrange the cupcakes somehow for display. I think that is fairly manageable for this size party. Hmm, I wonder if I can find lemonade in small bottles. Maybe I could do water and lemonade that way and skip the cups and the need to pour for the kids.

I think this one would be as much for older ds as for us, he is really into a party for his little sister. I'd say, isn't that sweet, except I think he sees it as just an extra shot at a party.

Thanks!
    Catherine

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about a tiered dessert plate thingy for the cupcakes. I have 2 so maybe I'm assuming everyone has one? One is plastic (from a grocery store no less!) and the other one is Oneida and is collapseable. Hmmm now that I think about it, I think I bought it because someone on the BBB mentioned a HUGE sale on the Oneida website. It was something crazy like under $10. Silver plate! THe trouble you guys get me into!

You can always use your own plates and platters, stack them on top of upside down drinking glasses to make your own trays at different heights.

http://iheartcuppycakes.com/2010/05/...upcake-stands/
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if I can find lemonade in small bottles. Maybe I could do water and lemonade that way and skip the cups and the need to pour for the kids.
    What about lemonade in juice boxes? I don't usually like juice boxes because of the trash they create, but I love them for parties. The only thing is if you have really little kids they might squash them and spill. How do you feel about juice box holders as a favor?
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMolly View Post
    What about lemonade in juice boxes? I don't usually like juice boxes because of the trash they create, but I love them for parties. The only thing is if you have really little kids they might squash them and spill. How do you feel about juice box holders as a favor?
    I thought about juice boxes, but then I think the adults won't drink them. Leaving only water for the adults. . . . .

Love the tiered idea for the cupcakes. We live near some Chinese restaurant supply/household goods stores so maybe I can find something there. I only have a cake stand which won't hold nearly enough.

Thanks!
    Catherine

What do you all think of this outfit from Etsy?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61939822...ref=v1_other_2

I'd have to ask her to do it in a different color though, blue I think, as dd is blonde with blue eyes and the yellow is too pale for her. (And I'm not a huge pink fan.)

Catherine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast