Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Your menu sounds great! DD2 is also very blonde and this outfit looked cute on her for her 2nd birthday: http://www.etsy.com/listing/48248229...ounge-set-with

The top is pink, along with the cupcake and age, but it is paired with blue/green floral pants so that it is not overly pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    Your menu sounds great! DD2 is also very blonde and this outfit looked cute on her for her 2nd birthday: http://www.etsy.com/listing/48248229...ounge-set-with

The top is pink, along with the cupcake and age, but it is paired with blue/green floral pants so that it is not overly pink.
    Oh, cute!

Catherine

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think it sounds lovely!

The only thing that would concern me is the potential lack of things for the kids to do. Bubble and chalk can only keep a kid occupied for so long long. It really depends a lot on your age breakdowns, too. For example, the 12 year olds will not be into the chalk. And are just as capable of wreaking havoc if bored.

As for the playsilks - very cute! BUT I don't agree that "if you're too old to like playsilks, you're too old to expect a favor." A 9 yr old may not like a playsilk, but they're still at the party favors age, and they would be expecting one. Not that I'd be losing any sleep over them not getting what they expect. I'm just saying, I wouldn't bank on kids to apply so much logic to this situation.

Thanks!

On the entertainment front, I'm expecting the party to last about an hour and a half. So between eating lunch, singing happy birthday and eating cupcakes, I don't think there is a lot of time to get too bored. When I have planned party games for older ds' parties in the past, they never happen because the kids are too busy running around having their own fun. . Do you have suggestions?

What would you suggest for favors? My 7 year old ds still likes our playsilks, so I thought all but the two oldest girls still would too. I figured they could take one and let younger siblings have them if they didn't want them. I am leery of doing more than one thing for favors because I think then I need enough for all the kids to have either (or maybe even one of each?). Is there something that would work better for all ages?

Catherine

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I haven't read any of the replies, just your original post. I think for a first birthday, the party is mostly for the parents so good snacks and cake are key! For the kids, I wouldn't even worry with the playsilks. For DD1s first birthday we got all the kids bubbles and little sidewalk chalk containers to play with at the party and then take home. We did it at a neighborhood playground, and we had a bunch of $1 sand toys from Target for the little ones to play with in the sand box.

You're starting early - and that reminds me that DD1 turns 5 in a month and I haven't even begun to think about that party! Bad mommy. No blogs will be written by me about my party planning, that's for sure.

No blogs here either! In fact I think I'd better start cleaning house now if I want to hold a party here in April.

Maybe I should skip the party favor all together? It will be a no present party and no presents, no favors are common in my neighborhood. I admit I have been wanting to try dying playsilks and this seemed like a good excuse. . . . .

Catherine

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love both those outfits! I think it is fine if you don't want to do favors. If it is uncommon in your area I'd consider myself LUCKY!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I am not even going to try to keep up with the infamous owl or fairy parties. Dd turns 1 this spring. And after some thought, I'd like to something fairly casual at home. I will invite the neighborhood and some friends. Most likely we will have about 20-35 guests with about 10 of those being kids from newborn to age 12.

Assuming her nap schedule doesn't change in the next two months, I think lunchtime would work out best. That means I have to serve lunch. What do you think of this for a menu: chicken salad on mini buns, peanut butter and jelly triangles (no nut allergies amongst our guests), hummus roll ups, fresh fruit, and vegetable tray; lemonade and water; and cupcakes for desert. I am shooting for light lunch and not too messy as we have carpet in our open living room/dining room. Does that sound good? Like enough variety?

We have a million plain plates so I plan to use those with clear disposable plastic cups and paper napkins. No need for silverware with my menu, right?

For theme/decorations, I'm honestly thinking just some nice fresh flowers. And no real theme. Older ds has requested the same cupcakes we had for his birthday. I found a bakery that makes them dairy free and they were delicious and pretty. We had mini cupcakes so I thought I would get those again. Any ideas how to display them?

For entertainment, I thought I could provide bubbles and sidewalk chalk. We have a small patio and front porch area and the party can spill out into those areas. I also thought I would play some low key background music--suggestions?

For favors, I thought I would try kool aid dying some playsilks? Is it okay to assume that if you are too old to want a playsilk, you are too old to expect a favor at a 1 year old's party?

What do you think? What am I forgetting?

Thanks!
    Catherine
    This sounds kind of similar to what we're planning for DS's 1st birthday--I totally went overboard with DD's 3rd birthday safari/jungle party so we're going to have a smaller party at home. I'll be watching this thread because I don't have any plans yet.

Any more ideas for favors for the infant set and 3 year old set?
    Catherine, which bakery are you using that does dairy-free cupcakes? DS is dairy allergic so I need those!

In addition to the bubbles and chalk, how about a colorful parachute so the kids can play as a group?
    http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-T...7234635&sr=8-1

I just ordered invitations from Tinyprints (I usually do Evite but since this is his first bday so I thought I'd splurge) and they came out so cute! I used pictures from each month.
    Last edited by goldenpig; 02-12-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

Dairy free cup cakes from cups and cakes in SoMA. It is hard to find on their website as the "special diet" information is a link on their pricing page We had dairy free but they can accommodate other food restrictions too. (I should note that ds' food allergies are very mild so I did not quiz them on cross-contamination issues.)

http://www.cupsandcakesbakery.com/CCB/Diet_Info.html

We had their mini cupcakes for ds' birthday and they were delicious and cute! They also deliver for $15, which I think I may take advantage of this time.

If you google so something like dairy free cupcakes San Francisco you will get some yelp reviews for cups and cakes as well as some other places in the city. We tried these because I had a deal.

For favors for infants up to age three (or even a bit older), I love gertie balls.

Catherine

Fabulous invite--such cute pictures of such a cute baby!

I have just about decided to do a single fold over photo card from Shutterfly and handwrite the invite on the inside. I'm already being a little obsessive about the dress (poor Etsy seller--I promise it won't be 80 messages though), I don't think I should add a custom card to the mix.

Catherine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast