Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What special things did your hospital do?

What things about your hospital where you delivered or where you will deliver excite you? I am actually mining for ideas for my job... trying to think of cool things that maternity unit can do to engage new mothers.

Were there any really neat giveaways, extras, support features? Pretty brochures and handouts? Special events for mothers-to-be?
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I had ds2 at a birth center and the bag they gave rocked. No formula coupon or samples, which I preferred as a bf;ing mom. (IIR, even the bf'ing formula giveaway bag that I got at the hospital with ds1 still had coupons and other formula enticements.) The bag at the birth center had coupons for a local Music Together class, postnatal yoga and other things like that. The Mother Love Nipple Cream sample was the best! There was some trail mix and coffee samples in the (the coffee one made me laugh...something sleep deprived parents could indeed need!). It was definitely skewed "crunchy" but I preferred that to overly commercial.

It would have been nice with ds1 if the prenatal exercise class I attended had some sort of "reunion". Maybe a potluck or just a simple bagel spread would be nice. They had a postnatal class but the same people didn't attend both.

I don't know, I didn't really want or need a lasting relationship with the hospital. The birth center, maybe, since it felt like a smaller community.

Anyway, a good variety of classes offered at convenient times to both working and non-working families would always be good.

Beth

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

the few things I remember loving... when I had DS1 I had a nurse who came on shift. She was so great, worked in the Lactation center and discussed the need to stay hydrated and make sure I was drinking enough. She brought in a new mom "cocktail" it was essentially all the juices the hospital had mixed with a ton of crushed ice.... apple, orange, cranberry I think. It was yummy and made me feel like someone actually cared (not just doing their job).

When DS2 was born (different hospital) they had elderly volunteers who knit a small hat and a pair of booties for each baby born in the hospital. They were sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post

When DS2 was born (different hospital) they had elderly volunteers who knit a small hat and a pair of booties for each baby born in the hospital. They were sweet!
    Yes! I forgot about that! At the hospital with ds1 they had knit hats that volunteers made. It was adorable!

Beth

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD was in special care and would need to be there while I was discharged on paper. But the hospital offered to let me stay at no extra charge as long as DD was not released since they had rooms available. That meant a lot to us at the time.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The hospital where I had DS2 did very, very little. I couldn't wait to get out of that hell hole.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

LD92599 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours brought us a really nice keepsake blanket with the name of the hospital on it in blue or pink along with the daily newspaper from the birth day; all wrapped in a large white box wrapped in blue ribbon. I thought that was so sweet! I would have loved the hat to be more than just a white knit hat (DS1 has a hat from where he was born that said the birthplace of XX) or maybe a onsie w/ the name of the hosp. etc.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I delivered DD at a specially created unit within a children's hospital due to her heart defect.

DH & I got a welcome packet & a lovely photo frame.

I got a very nice bathrobe, which I still use despite the fact that it's pink (I despise pink) and a handmade totebag that I used for pump parts while I visited DD in the ICU both during my stay & after discharge.

There was also a great assortment of handmade knit caps for all parents to choose for their babies.

What I wish they would add is the option of parents being able to have "receiving room" photos taken of their baby, like they would a "normal" baby. I know that's not something every parent wants, especially if their baby is ill, but I wanted it & it wasn't available.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I delivered at a great hospital but they did very little. I did get a knit hat, but I was really hoping to have the footprints but our hospital doesn't do that anymore.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

Quote Originally Posted by infocrazy View Post
    I delivered at a great hospital but they did very little. I did get a knit hat, but I was really hoping to have the footprints but our hospital doesn't do that anymore.
    I just brought the page in from my baby book and they were able to do the footprints on them. Maybe you need to bring ink as well nowadays.
    Beth

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast