Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

I cannot believe the difference between hospitals across the country. I must live near the worst in the country--or so it seems. They did NOTHING nice at all. It was all just one annoying experience after another, and it seems like they didn't even try to think about making it nice for new moms.

I can understand a little better now why I am skewed towards wanting nothing to do with hospital birth (had #1 in the hospital, #2 in hospital birth center which still wasn't great, and #3 at home to get away from it all). The staff was even worse than the overall setting.

I'm happy for you gals that you all have some good memories of nice things done for you at your baby's birth.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I really loved my hospital experience. DD was given a regular hat (nothing fancy, just a thin striped hat) right after she was born but the nurse put a "bow" on it. It was just gauze gathered in the middle but it was REALLY cute and I was touched that someone would add a little something. When the bow fell off during my stay or her hat got lost, the same nurse must have replaced it. Later, I found out that not all of the little girls got a bow like that so I'm not sure if it because my DD was extra cute or something... :P just kidding.

What I loved BEST though was the parenting program you could be a part of. They had day groups for stay at home moms and evening groups for moms and dads. We met after about 3 months post partum and with similar aged babies from the hospital. We had a facilitator assigned to us and every now and then speakers would come too. I think we met for 6 months or so, a group of 20 women. It dwindled down towards the end but I still meet with 3 of the moms regularly and they have become very dear to me. It's also cool to see that our kids have become friends.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

Reading what all the other hospitals do makes me kind of jealous so I'm not going to finish.

Mine did give me a little elastic bracelet with the baby's name spelled out (someone there makes them in her free time). I used it as a nursing bracelet to remember which side to start on.

They didn't actually GIVE us a receiving blanket, but one of the nurses told me that I could take the one that DS was wrapped in. Of course it was old and worn out so next time I'm going to watch for a newer one and keep it instead.

The nurse also made sure that we took the extra pads, disposable panties, diapers, wipes etc that were in the room and already opened. She said that we'd paid for them anyway, but I wouldn't have taken them on my own.

The special dinner sounds really nice. We had to pay for DH's food, but at least he could call down and have it delivered to the room with mine instead of having to leave me and go to the cafeteria.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by indigo99 View Post
    Reading what all the other hospitals do makes me kind of jealous so I'm not going to finish.
    I didn't have the greatest hospital experience (compounded by DH being an ass). I could not wait to go home.

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    I didn't have the greatest hospital experience (compounded by DH being an ass). I could not wait to go home.
    This makes me sad.... maybe I will go back to TN to have the next one! might be a long drive in labor!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

They did footprints for each DD......they each got a few of the super cute knit hats.....and the hospital sends home a ceramic "bootie" with the name, date, birth, weight, time, and doctor who delivered printed around the outside of the shoe. It brought tears to my eyes the first time because I wasn't expecting it, and the second time around I couldn't wait for it to be delivered in the mail!

Overall the hospital just had great nurses, which makes a world of difference!!

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

In room dinner for parents. His name on a piece of construction paper with his foot prints- petty complaint is that they used my maiden name as his last name, but oh well. He got a nice hat right after his birth. The other hospital in the network does the chime thing, but they are phasing out the maternity ward there.
    DS 6/09

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ours did a "fancy" dinner for the parents one night. You ordered from a limited menu and dinner was served with sparkling cider and a (fake) flower arrangement on the tray. It was a nice touch.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmr1101 View Post
    At my hospital every new mother as they left the "labor area" and was being moved to their official room was given the chance to ring the bell. I can't remember which song, but it played a lullaby that went through the entire wing of the hopsital so everyone knew another baby was born .
    I can't do multiple quotes, but there was another person who replied with something similar...It sounds cheerful and sweet on one hand but my only thought against something like this is a mama who may be there and *not* experiencing a happy ending, hearing that lullaby over and over might be crushing. Since the OP is asking for ideas to implement, I would caution against something like this.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5