Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help with science theme b-day party

Punkin's birthday is in a couple of weeks and we're having a Mad Science show at his party. I'm planning to get a cake at Costco. I have worked with them before on having them customize the deocarations a bit for me and it worked out great - for Boo's 1st Birthday, I had them modify their "golf" cake so it just had the green hill and borders and the writing, then I put toothpicks in the bottoms of some Little People animals he likes and stuck them in the cake. It looked so cute! And a bunch of 7 year olds won't know nor care that the cake was $18 instead of $100. But I would like it to look nice and go with the theme (science). the only suggestions I ws finding online is to bake a volcano cake and I'm not that crafty with baking and frosting. Any suggestions of cake toppers or things I can turn into decorations for the cake? I have searched and searched and have only seen Sid the Science Kid stuff, which Punkin does NOT like. I'm not at all crafty in terms of cake decorating with frosting, so I'm just looking for something I can stick on top of the cake, which is a sheet cake. Ideas? Please?

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love making my kids' b-day cakes even though I'm not that good at it (baking= good, decorating= not so much ). But, I can pull off the Family Fun ones. This is their beaker cake that looks pretty easy if you are at all inclined to attempt baking your own:
    http://familyfun.go.com/parties/cake...k-cake-699360/

Beth

How about a rocket ship?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/60640477...ket-space-ship

Catherine

Well, there are so many "sciency" themes you could go with, do you have any one in particular in mind?

I'm thinking maybe doing a dark cake/frosting with stars and you could add gumballs or other round candy to look like the planets. (gummy strips for the rings).

Do something with rock and sprinkle rock-looking candies on it (then make rock candy using sugar solution, food coloring, cup and string as an activity).

hmmm....talk about how worms aerate the soil and do a dirt cake with gummy worms...

Something dinosaur related and add dino figures to the cake...

Give me some more topics and I'll see if I can come up with some ideas...

a sheet cake with a mad scientist - crazy hair, white lab coat holding beakers?

scroll down a little on this site. http://www.homemademamas.net/2010/05...tist-cake.html They have a really cute cake that would be easy to make. I love the licorice wires connecting to the brain.

We were going to do a mad science theme party but at zero hour changed it to mini golf. Too many people didn't RSVP and rather than waste my time calling them... I changed the venue to be evil.

Anyway we were gonna do a normal cake and a jello brain.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post

Anyway we were gonna do a normal cake and a jello brain.
    Cool idea!!

Beth

I don't have any ideas, except for perhaps you could dress up as a mad scientist...and this sounds like a really fun party!

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    We were going to do a mad science theme party but at zero hour changed it to mini golf. Too many people didn't RSVP and rather than waste my time calling them... I changed the venue to be evil.
    oooh sneaky.... I love it! How did it turn out? I mean, did any of the non-rsvp'ers ever show up?

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I knew you all would have some cute ideas! I'll have to ask Punkin what he has in mind. I keep envisioning beakers with potions, since that's what the show will entail, and the kids will be making their own super balls. I love that first suggestion of the beaker cake that SnuggleBuggles posted. Punkin and I did a Family Fun christmas tree cake and the frosting part was pretty much a disaster! But it looked ok and tasted yummy. To save time, do you think that would work with store-bought angel food cakes?

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast