Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you want to do a beaker/flask cake, but the upright thing scares you (it would scare me) you could bake a sheet/flat cake and cut out a beaker/flask shape. I'm sure you could blow up some pictures of a beaker or erlenmeyer flask to use as a template. You could still decorate with frosting and cotton candy at the top, it would just be less 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
    oooh sneaky.... I love it! How did it turn out? I mean, did any of the non-rsvp'ers ever show up?
    I actually have no idea. Maybe not? Supposedly no reply means not coming in these parts but sheesh. Lack of RSVPs drives me nuts.

Mini golf turned out to be incredibly cheap and fun and low stress so it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
    I actually have no idea. Maybe not? Supposedly no reply means not coming in these parts but sheesh. Lack of RSVPs drives me nuts.

Mini golf turned out to be incredibly cheap and fun and low stress so it was awesome.
    OT, but that does sound like a lot of fun!

Catherine

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BabbyO View Post
    If you want to do a beaker/flask cake, but the upright thing scares you (it would scare me) you could bake a sheet/flat cake and cut out a beaker/flask shape. I'm sure you could blow up some pictures of a beaker or erlenmeyer flask to use as a template. You could still decorate with frosting and cotton candy at the top, it would just be less 3D.
    This would also make it far easier to cut. I love to make my kids' cakes but admit that I shy away from 3D cakes for the most part!

Your party sounds like it will be a lot of fun!! I science!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You can watch and/or listen to Here Comes Science at the party. It is great science themed kids music and the DVD has awesome animated music videos.

For the cake, you could go a lot of directions. I made a solar system cake for Ts 5th bday. To make it simple perhaps put make a candy galaxy or put a rocket ship on the cake. You could also do one with plants and small animals, an evolution themed cake, gears and machine themed cake, an eyeball cake, a skeleton cake. For a mad science party a chemistry theme seems the most appropriate! You could put small plastic science kit stuff on the cake or try your hand at cutting out some fondant (pre made) test tubes, beakers etc and simply laying that on the sheet cake from the bakery. Or you could do an alchemy request on etsy and see if one of the fondant sellers would make what you want and mail it to you.
    Last edited by kijip; 02-08-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

I like the idea of decorating a sheet cake...easy!! I never have a ton of time to bake and decorate plus get everything else done for the party.

Check out thinkgeek.com for ideas. what about mini flasks full of colored water, or pop placed on top of the cake? Maybe a flask with dry ice for the smokey effect? Also, for table decorations, you can order a plastic or wooden molecule kit on amazon.

i like the idea of the mini-flasks you can put on the cake - you can make different colored goop out of jello and fill those up! and maybe some reallly fluffy cotton candy around it, to get that dry ice effect....

and maybe craft some thermometers (put inside flasks) out of licorice ...

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You all are awesome!! I love all the cool ideas! I'm proud to be raising a science nerd like DH and myself

I asked Punkin yesterday what kind of science he wants on the cake, I mentioned the flask cake, etc. He wants "nature science" - specifically trees with birds, and a big scary lion hunting under the trees. He wants it made out of frosting, not plastic figurines. Hmm... off to see if I can find a custom fondant scene that won't break the bank... otherwise I'll just use plastic figurines I guess.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Here are some safari cakes to give you some ideas.

http://www.google.com/images?q=safar...w=1259&bih=625
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2