Default Ergo vs. Beco Gemini and carrier color?

I'm in the market for a new carrier and debating a lighter color like a beige or a darker color. Do you find that darker colors get hot for the baby in the summer? I'm leaning towards a Beco Gemini or possibly an Ergo. My baby will be too young this summer to put sunscreen on so I probably won't use it a ton outside. But since both these carriers will allow me to back carry longer than any carrier I've ever used I will use it the summer after more outside. Any opinions/advice would be great!

What age baby? I have an ergo and like it, but could not get it to work with dd until she was 6 or 7 months old. I've heard good things about the Gemini and it should be suitable from birth.

I don't think the carrier color makes a huge difference to how hot they are. But black is terrible for showing sunscreen rubbed off my shoulders.

You might also consider a pikkolo or a mei tai (love my freehand mei tai).

The forums at the babywearer are great and you should find some reviews of the Gemini there.

Catherine

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The biggest difference between the Gemini and the Ergo is the outward-facing front-carry option that the Gemini has, so it's more like the Bjorn but more ergonomically designed. The babywearing guru I tested it with called it a "gateway carrier."

The second big difference is the lack of a need for an insert to use the Gemini with a newborn - it has snug-cords that can adjust the carrier pouch so it can hold a newborn.

The last big difference with the Gemini is its flip-up hood vs. the pull-out sleep hood with the Ergo. If you use a hat and the flip-up hood, your baby should be perfectly happy this summer and next summer the back carry will be fine to use. (In between, the Gemini will fit nicely under a winter coat in a front-carry!)

I have a black Ergo with a camel colored lining. I used my Ergo in the summer with my DD, who is now 11 months. The black fabric didn't phase me; the infant insert, on the other hand, did. It was simply too big & bulky to wear comfortably in hot, humid weather! (So I used my woven wrap carrier on those days instead.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle