Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Toddler refuses to sit in high chair--is it a phase? Tips?

My 1 1/2 yo DS has recently started to tantrum when we put him in his high chair. It started pretty suddenly and we can't think of anything that triggered this reaction. We've tried switching to a booster seat and letting him eat at the table instead of off of a tray but he still bursts into tears and frantically signs "all done" as soon as we even mention sitting in his chair.

He'll eat while sitting on our laps or the floor but refuses to have anything to do with a high chair or booster 90% of the time. On a rare occasion we can get him to sit in his chair and eat we give him hi fives and lots of praise.

We've tried telling him he doesn't get to eat with us until he sits in his chair and that just causes more tantrums and a refusal to eat. We've also tried letting him sit in his high chair crying for a few minutes while we eat to see if he'll calm down and start eating there, no luck. He's stubborn and we don't want to create even more negative association with it. He's on the edge of failure to thrive so we also don't want to prevent him from eating when he's hungry.

Anyone else have experience with this or suggestions? Is it just a phase or will my child be sitting on my lap eating and wiping his spaghetti sauce covered hands on my shirt as a kindergartner? :

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Can he sit on his knees on a chair?
    Kris

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've heard that some parents have luck getting older toddlers to sit in the convertible high chair/adult chairs like the Tripp Trapp/Keekaroo Height Right/One Step Ahead/Svan/etc. Do you think he might be interested in something like that?

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rin View Post
    I've heard that some parents have luck getting older toddlers to sit in the convertible high chair/adult chairs like the Tripp Trapp/Keekaroo Height Right/One Step Ahead/Svan/etc. Do you think he might be interested in something like that?
    That was also my first thought. The tripp trapp really lets them be harnessed in, while not feeling boxed in like a booster might. Is there a store you could try one?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Can he sit on his knees on a chair?
    Good suggestion, may try this when he's older. Right now he could kneel for about 30 seconds and then he would progress to giggling while standing on the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    That was also my first thought. The tripp trapp really lets them be harnessed in, while not feeling boxed in like a booster might. Is there a store you could try one?
    Hm, this might work. I'm hesitant to invest in one right now but I'll keep an eye out in our local stores and on Craigslist.

How about a small table & chair set of his own? Maybe it's a control thing & if he feels like he can sit & get up on his own he'll eat a little more?

When I was searching I found there were various sizes & I decided to buy the smaller size out there (DD is pretty little.) & I'm really glad I did. It is in our dining room right next to our big table. Most days we give her the choice to eat at her own table, or at the big table with us. She goes in phases as to which she prefers. Here's the set I bought: http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Farmh...uct/B003OYOWQW
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

Argh! My almost 2 year old DD is going through the same thing. It's been almost two weeks. She refuses the high chair and the booster. Rarely she'll sit in a regular chair, but then she can't even see her food. What she really wants is to sit on my lap. It's driving me crazy. We've been strict about having her sit by herself, but it results in terrible tantrums.

Sorry that I have no advice, but at least it's good to know that you're not the only one out there with this issue!

DD2 did this, even with her 5 pt harness criss crossed over her chest!!

I LOVED my Peg chair too, it was one of the only places back then that DD would nap (even if it was only a few minutes, lol).

You may have to give up and let him sit on his knees at the table.
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That was the age when my boys gave up their high chairs with no looking back- sorry!

Beth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast