Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Asbestos WWYD

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Asbestos WWYD

WWYD question (and minor bitch.)

We had a hunch there might be asbestos in the home we're in escrow on, and sure enough it tested positive in the popcorn ceilings and the flooring. Ceilings just a trace amount, flooring has lots of it in there.

Ceiling is in good condition and we'll deal with it later.

Vinyl flooring is torn up a few raggedy inches at a two doors. Which means my babies would be exposed to the asbestos. Not OK.

But... the seller came back with a big N-O on repairing it before we move in. If we want to buy the house we'll have to handle this ourselves.

The flooring is in the kitchen. We plan on fixing up/changing this room in a year when we've saved up more money.

So WWYD? Can you repair spots like this or does it all need to come out? How much of a pain in the butt is this. I don't want to pay for new flooring when I don't know what the new cabinet configuration will be yet. But having my babies exposed to asbestos? No way is that OK with me either.

I would run the other way and quickly.

Asbestos is nothing to mess with and removal is VERY expensive due to worker hazard and waste management.

It is mostly a hazard when not contained so the flooring is a definite issue and I suppose you can repair spots but once you disturb an area, that is how exposure occurs.

Even with it well contained in the ceiling and other areas of the floor, I would be very leery of letting my children live there.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbows&Roses View Post
    I would run the other way and quickly.

Asbestos is nothing to mess with and removal is VERY expensive due to worker hazard and waste management.

It is mostly a hazard when not contained so the flooring is a definite issue and I suppose you can repair spots but once you disturb an area, that is how exposure occurs.

Even with it well contained in the ceiling and other areas of the floor, I would be very leery of letting my children live there.
    My thoughts exactly! Get out of there now!
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Asbestos is dangerous and crazy expensive to fix, the sellers can't be shocked that it was found. If you say you will walk there is a chance they may change their mind and fix it because they will now have to disclose the asbestos to any future buyers. Even if they do fix it you may want to walk anyways because Im not sure what the ramifications would be when you go to sell later (if you might have to disclose to future buyers there was asbestos but it was covered up or whatever).
    Last edited by WolfpackMom; 02-10-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

There is no way I would buy the house and repair it myself. There is no way to be sure what it will cost to remove it and where will you live as it is removed?
    DD '06
    DD '14

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Agreeing with those who say to walk away. Asbestos in floor is fine if it's in good shape, but if it's tearing, it's bad. And, you can't tear it up yourself, you have to have a professional do it. No way.
    Kris

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Run, dont walk away.

asbestos removal is hugely expensive to have done. and its absolutely not a diys job. You cant be around when its removed, there are all sorts of expenses with it and who knows where else it is if its in 2 spots in the home already.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Agree with the others. Tell them it's either they fix it or the deal falls through. They will have to disclose it to any other buyer, and if they want to sell they'll have to deal with it, either with you or with someone else.

I would want floor and ceiling dealt with - and they should do it, not negotiate to give $$ back, as it could cost way more than quoted - who knows what's under the floor that needs fixing.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would only purchase if the seller had it remediated professionally and provided you with a certificate from the independent third party contractor. Proper asbestos remediation is VERY expensive.

I would just walk away. No way would I purchase if the seller fixed it themselves or refused to provide a certificate of remediation.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do not touch with a 10 foot pole.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast