Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
The house went through an extensive remodel/addition eight years ago, so most of it was built after asbestos and lead stopped being used. The tiny kitchen with the vinyl flooring didn't get updated, and that's what we've got to handle.

Niccig, did you use a lab to test the lead in the paint? I just have the Home Depot testers. The windows were all replaced in the remodel. The insulation is almost all roll out/newer from the remodel. The one area with older insulation around the furnace pipes in the attic tested asbestos free. I will ask the company about the asbestos dust settling and if that changes the testing.
We got an inspector to the house, he tested every door, trim, wall, tile, flooring material in the house. I think it was Consumer Reports that tested the Home Depot type lead tests and found they gave false negative and false positive results. The inspector was maybe $300. We found lead in places we would not have known eg. front door, trim around the front door, garage door etc. We have one bathroom with lead glaze in the tiles, it's fine but we want to renovate it eventually and then it will be an issue.

It's good that most of the house has been updated, but if you ever want to renovate that kitchen you'll have to deal with the asbsetos tile. I would get the sellers to cover that...and put down a cheapish linoleum until you're ready to redo the kitchen.