Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Definitely talk to your dr. about your concerns. I was very concerned DD was going to be big baby so we did a growth ultrasound at 40wks 3days and I completely freaked out afterward. They estimated her at 9lb 10oz and I was so scared, I was crying, just generally a mess. My dr. was great about reassuring me that the baby wasn't a monster and that generally women are not given a baby that is "too big" for them to deliver. I went into labor that night, probably from the stress I had a rough labor and delivery because of how long it was (she was transverse) but my dr. was a patient man and DD turned all on her own and I delivered her vaginally with a small 2nd degree tear. My nurses were great about perineum massage and helping me go slow to deliver her and she was a healthy 9lb 3oz. It will all be fine, best wishes for a happy & healthy mom & baby.

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just wanted to add that I thought exactly like you, OP, as in, no c/s, no medication, etc. I fought induction till almost 42 weeks because I wanted a natural birth. It has all the advantages and I wanted the best for my first born. Well, long story short--I was induced, went into labor for 12 hours, baby was facing up head down, and ultimately, I had to have c/s. DD was 9lbs 10 oz. I was SO disappointed about the c/s and cried all the way to the OR but now that I look back, it wasn't so bad. I was just hung up on my ideal birth plan and it didn't work out. We also found out after the c/s that baby would have a shoulder dytocia if it wasn't for the c/s.
    I wasn't ready to let go of that till months later. I am now at peace with what happened, and have learned to just go with it. My recovery from the c/s was fantastic.
    I would not choose a c/s again but if it were to happen, I won't be as close minded as my first one. I feel like I focused so much on the negative aspect of that delivery that I couldn't rejoice at having a wonderful, healthy daughter in my arms. So, just an FYI to let things go if you have to.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

I ended up with a c-section because DS's head was just too big. I think that might be more of an issue than just the weight of the baby (8lb 15oz). I had an induction that went fine up until about 8cm. Then I stalled out and took forever to get to ten. He just wasn't moving down any further, and my pushing didn't do much to help. I did have an epidural so I was trying to push on my back, but I'm not sure how much that mattered.

I agree with PP that you really need to just wrap your mind around accepting however your birth goes. During the c-section, the doctor said that the cord was wrapped around DS's neck so it was maybe best that he didn't want to come out vaginally anyway. I was still very upset and depressed about having to have the c-section for weeks though. With my next delivery, I think I'll just plan a c-section from the beginning so that I can deal with it and know what to expect. All in all, it wasn't THAT bad, but I had it built up in my mind as something that I definitely didn't want so it was pretty horrible when that's what I got.
    DS1 - 8/09
    DS2 - 9/11

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fedoragirl View Post
    I just wanted to add that I thought exactly like you, OP, as in, no c/s, no medication, etc. I fought induction till almost 42 weeks because I wanted a natural birth. It has all the advantages and I wanted the best for my first born. Well, long story short--I was induced, went into labor for 12 hours, baby was facing up head down, and ultimately, I had to have c/s. DD was 9lbs 10 oz. I was SO disappointed about the c/s and cried all the way to the OR but now that I look back, it wasn't so bad. I was just hung up on my ideal birth plan and it didn't work out. We also found out after the c/s that baby would have a shoulder dytocia if it wasn't for the c/s.
    I wasn't ready to let go of that till months later. I am now at peace with what happened, and have learned to just go with it. My recovery from the c/s was fantastic.
    I would not choose a c/s again but if it were to happen, I won't be as close minded as my first one. I feel like I focused so much on the negative aspect of that delivery that I couldn't rejoice at having a wonderful, healthy daughter in my arms. So, just an FYI to let things go if you have to.
    This sounds like almost exactly what happened to me - I'm sorry you had to go through the same thing. I have really been hard on myself for allowing the induction, but the Dr. had a hard time delivering my son's shoulders anyway (she said she never had such trouble delivering shoulders with a c/s before). Good advice!

Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Went to the doctor today. No signs of labor at all. His heart rate is good and he keeps kicking and moving, he just seems to be happy to stay put and keep on adding weight. She said it is not too big yet, but definitely not small (what does that mean?). She thinks it will be at least a week or 2 (????) more since he has not dropped and my cervix shows no signs of anything, I will be 39 weeks friday. I am going to (try) stay open minded and not think about it anymore, since I may be headed to an induction.

Thanks for all the advice, the anticipation is killing me

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe View Post
    She thinks it will be at least a week or 2 (????) more since he has not dropped and my cervix shows no signs of anything, I will be 39 weeks friday. I am going to (try) stay open minded and not think about it anymore, since I may be headed to an induction.

My OB said the same thing at my last appointment before DS was born, then he said I could come in 2 weeks instead of 1 because he was pretty sure nothing would happen before 2 weeks. Well, I never made it my next appointment. Oh and he didn't drop. So don't stress too much about an induction.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had an ultrasound at 32 weeks and at that point the OB told me I was having a huge baby....so I started to freak out a little.
    I had another US at 36 weeks and the baby was measuring at the 50th%.
    I ended up giving birth at 40.5 weeks and DD2 was 9 lbs 9 oz. I had no tearing at all and only pushed for around 20 minutes.
    I did have an epidural and I am a big fan of them

Don't worry about it too much. If you end up needing a c/s it isn't the end of the world...the most important thing is that mom and baby are healthy

Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lowrioh View Post
    I
    I ended up giving birth at 40.5 weeks and DD2 was 9 lbs 9 oz.
    I am actually scared is going to be 9 pounds or above. I was hoping for 7-8 pounds. I was born at 6.5.
    In any case, as you said what matters most is that we are both healthy!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupe View Post
    Went to the doctor today. No signs of labor at all. His heart rate is good and he keeps kicking and moving, he just seems to be happy to stay put and keep on adding weight. She said it is not too big yet, but definitely not small (what does that mean?). She thinks it will be at least a week or 2 (????) more since he has not dropped and my cervix shows no signs of anything, I will be 39 weeks friday. I am going to (try) stay open minded and not think about it anymore, since I may be headed to an induction.

You haven't dropped yet, and you are 39 weeks? I dropped with both of my girls at 35 weeks. I had DD1 at 37 w 6 d, and DD2 at 38 w 6 d . DD1 I was 3/1/2 to 4 cm dialated for over a week before I had her. With DD2 I wasn't dialated, went in for my 38 week appt., and the internal exam did enough to strip my membranes and I had her less than 24 hrs. later. So I think you might be delivering post 40 weeks too. Induction is painful (at least it was for me w/DD1; but I have met moms who have done it and it's been no big deal) and after DD1 it was something I did not want to repeat.

Just remember a due date is just an estimate, but I hear you I was very ansy with DD1 and thought the Braxton Hicks were the real thing and was 5+cm dialated so thought if they broke my water it would speed things up; it didn't and alas the induction and DD1 being born at 37 weeks, when I most likely could've made it to 38 or 39 weeks before delivering.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    You haven't dropped yet, and you are 39 weeks?
    FWIW, I don't think I had even dropped at 41 weeks when my contractions started.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast