HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Summer Infant video monitor - recall

This is a great safety reminder! I have a Summer Infant video monitor.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11127.html

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My Summer monitor cord has always freaked me out. I even posted about it here once.
    I think I need to just take the whole thing down. I love the video aspect of it but it's really not necessary, especially in our relatively small, one story house.
    I do have an audio only monitor from DD left over somewhere. I love staring at my little guy but I'd rather have him alive.
    DD
    DS

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

That is seriously disturbing.

There should be zero cords near a crib!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have this one but we mounted it on the wall and I put the cord in these 3M things. I have them really close together so he can't pull it out. Maybe I should add some more. I alternated the direction of the hooks so it holds the cord better.
    Tara

DS - B 2/10

We have a Summer video monitor as well. Isn't this danger inherent in all monitors? Or do some not have cords?

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    We have a Summer video monitor as well. Isn't this danger inherent in all monitors? Or do some not have cords?
    this just seems like common sense to me. I don't see the point of a recall. It's not like the monitors are themselves inherently dangerous. We have a summer video monitor, but the cord is no where near the crib.

ETA: and battery powered monitors are TERRIBLE battery eaters. I hated our first, which was battery powered.
    L, mommy to my one and only, super-sweet boy, G 6/08

I'm pro-big bird, and I vote.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreTheFocus View Post
    It's really any monitor. But the thing with the video monitors is that you have to get the camera up and above the crib, which limits the places you can plug it in, and the cord has to hang down from the camera.
    The hanging cord, even when secured to the wall, can be dangerous obviously.
    DD
    DS

This is such common sense...dont install something that dangles a cord into the crib.

We have this monitor and love it. I installed it on a small flat tv wall mount over her crib and used a wire hiding kit from Lowes to secure the cable to the wall.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You know, I'm guilty here. With the 2nd kid (when we bought it in 2008) I was sure to put it somewhere out of the way. Now that we're packed into each room, and DC#3's crib is shoved into a corner where he can play with the blinds, I recently had to move the exact cord this recall is about. He had grabbed it out of the little clips and was playing with it. I could see him doing it on the monitor. We def. need to reposition it.