Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting out of buying two crib bedding sets?

Hi Ladies...

I posted this same question on the bedding board too. I am trying to find a way out of buying two whole sets of crib bedding. I am not using regular bumpers and will use the Breathable Baby bumpers, nor do I need two comforters or two diaper stackers. The only things I want two of is the skirt and sheet. My thought was to buy one set, and rip apart the bumper and make a crib skirt out of it. Then I only have to buy extra sheets, which CAN be purchased separately. In the end, I would have one comforter (I plan to hang on the wall for decoration), two skirts (assuming I can make one), one sheet (extras purchased separately) and one diaper stacker (don't care about this either way). One of the sets I am interested in even includes wall hangings, which makes the whole thing even more annoying. I so wish these companies would get on the a la carte bandwagon!

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I should clarify that my mom is very handy with a sewing machine.

Thanks...

There are a lot of sets these days where you can just buy pieces of them, so you could just buy the skirts and then buy plain matching sheets from any brand. Do you have a particular set in mind, maybe we could help you find seperates that are the same or at least very similar.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd look into sets that are sold as separate pieces.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Thanks... What brands out there sell the skirt a la carte? I haven't seen any. I really like the Too Good by Jenny McCarthy line. What I WANT to do is a garden/butterfly theme if I end up with two girls. And a jungle/safari/zoo theme if I have G/B or B/B. I don't have my heart set on the Too Good line, but just want something colorful and fun. A lot of the jungle ones I've seen are either very monocromatic or a lot of brown. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

Shandra

alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I got a separate crib skirt and a sheet from Dwell Studio. I then got some extra sheets from another brand. I think Target has separate pieces too.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

IDK how much you want to spend, but Land of Nod sells most of their crib bedding a la carte.

http://www.landofnod.com/crib-bedding/baby/1

And yep, PP is correct!

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=crib+skirt
    Last edited by YouAreTheFocus; 02-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Pottery Barn Kids also sells everything a la carte and they have excellent quality crib sheets (at least they did when I got mine 4 years ago). I'm a stickler for good sheets since they get washed ALOT. They also have tons of cute B/G twin ideas in their catalog. I have 2 sons and am expecting B/G twins so I'm hoping the sheets are just as good as they used to be because I just bought 2 more like the ones I have in green and blue, but PINK (finally a little pink in my life).

IMHO, I would avoid the sets - the quality for the price is just not comparable in many cases and you end up with a lot of stuff you don't need like the bumpers (expensive) and maybe the quilt - I wish I had skipped the set that I bought and didn't use (didn't use the bumpers for DS1 for very long and skipped them entirely for DS2 and I replaced the bad quality sheets). I still use the crib skirt, now with PB Kids sheets. I've had good luck with BP kids towels and linens for big kid beds as my kids have gotten older as well.

Good luck and happy shopping. I've also heard good things about Land of Nod.

you have a lot of good suggestions already, but one other suggestion is to look on Etsy and see if there are any sellers on there that make bedding. This way you could get customized the particular pieces you want. You can always find sheets anywhere.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I also bought a PBK skirt and bumper a la carte; I purchased mine at the outlet but if you look, they have sales. I also love the dwell studio for target line. I think for the price, you get excellent quality. We have fitted sheets from there--I believe they are 300 count cotton or near it. It's soft and very durable.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

OMG...I totally forgot about Land of Nod. Their Safari one is SUPER cute! I don't really like the garden/flower ones though. There was a Sumersault flower one I really liked at BRU. Not sure if it's only sold as a set though. I do like PBK garden ones but I read in Baby Bargains that they now only have elastic on the corners and not all around which bugs me. I suppose I could buy the quilt and skirt and get different sheets? Thanks guys!

I do still like the Jenny McCarthy one too. It's good quality as far as I can tell. All non-toxic materials, 100% cotton, 200 TC and elastic all around. My mom seems pretty certain she can make the skirt out of the bumper...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast