Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ErgoBaby users - Can baby face out in front?

I was just at Buy Buy Baby and tried out the Ergo Baby. The guy helping in that section said the Ergo Baby rep came in the other day and said babies are not supposed to face out in front. My DD is 7 mos and my moby is too much of a pain to use now that she is bigger. I loved it for the first several months, but now she wants to face out. I tried her facing out in my moby and I feel like it is bending her backwards. I feel like it stretches her legs and shoulders/arms back.

So I read a lot of threads and the Ergo gets a lot of good reviews. I'm just confused as to why they don't recommend facing out. Maybe she'll get used to it, but I feel like she wants to face out and see the world. And I'm not sure I'm ready to put her on my back. What do you do?

I also felt like it was big on me. I am 5'5" and a size 4-6 if that helps. Is there something similar that isn't so big?
    DD 6/10

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You cannot face out in the ERGO. You could try the hip carry.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yeah, there's no way to face forward in the Ergo.

Lots of babywearers believe that it's unhealthy for a baby to face forward, at least very much. I don't know all the facts, but I believe it's because of how the weight is distributed on the crotch and the position of the hips. I guess that with a developing baby, it can do some harm. I've read others who say that a bit of forward facing is ok, as long as it isn't hours and hours.

A big part of how the Ergo positions babies so great is their hip position. I was thinking about what it must feel like to spend hours in a straddling position like that. It could get really uncomfortable if things don't line up exactly right. And you can use the carriers for hours and hours.

We have the Ergo and it's fabulous! Sprog has never missed facing out. She can really see around to all sides. You can position a baby lower, so their arms are inside the straps, and they can cuddle in their face to your chest. But you can also position them up a bit higher, with their arms over the straps, and they're high with a great view. This also goes for the back position, where they can actually look over your shoulder.

The place I learned what little I know about the FF vs inward facing was the babywearing safety page on facebook. There are discussion thread and suchlike. There might be on here, too. I didn't research it too much because we knew we wanted the Ergo anyway (due to DH's back injury, we needed the best ergonomic carrier out there). Heh heh...this was probably more info than you were really asking for. I just really love this topic because having a carrier has been such an excellent part of parenting for me!

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

Ooooh. Now I understand. That makes a lot of sense. Now I feel bad that I put her FF in the moby . Guess I better have her adjusted at the chiro on Monday... I'll just go for the Ergo, I guess.

I forgot to ask how you put it on by yourself. I found it hard to get the back fastened and had my DH do it. I won't always have someone around to help. Is there a trick to putting these on? Maybe I should go to a store with babywearing experts...
    DD 6/10

rin is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I hear really good things about the Beco! I haven't tried it myself, but I know a lot of people love it.

FWIW, I LOVED the Ergo . . . and my daughter hated it. I was seriously sad about this, since I thought it was awesome, but she would start to fuss after about 15-20 minutes in it. Interestingly enough, she loved the Baby Bjorn (which I thought was a glorified torture device) and would have happily ridden in there for hours!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

part of the reason i got a Pikkolo is because with it, you can have baby face forward if desired. My ds was always wanting to look at stuff so i figured he'd like that more. I ended up never using that way though..i tried facing inward and DS ended up being content that way (plus i could nurse him if needed). i also heard that baby facing outward is not great for the back (the mom's back, i don't know about the baby) bc the baby is tends to lean/stretch outward, putting more strain on mom's back. anyway, for me, i'm 5'6" and with the Pikkolo i never had any problems getting it on & putting DS in by myself.

i have an Ergo too (haven't used it yet as i'm very pg now,i plan to use for my DD). it does seem a little bigger than the Pikkolo. as PP suggested you could try other carriers (Beco, Pikkolo) and see if your DD takes to those better or if those are easier to put on.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

To get the back buckle fastened, slide the strap down until you can reach it by yourself. (Yes, the "chest strap" buckle slides down the straps. Play with it a bit to get a sense of what I'm talking about.)

Loosen the shoulder straps if necessary to get a hold on it. Re-tighten the straps once you've got your back-buckle fastened. (Pull the tails straight backwards; if you pull them forwards, they will not loosen because you're tugging on the middle piece of the buckle incorrectly.)

Practice, practice, practice.

If you're considering replacing your Ergo for an outward-facing carrier that's as ergonomic as the Ergo, I highly recommend the Beco Gemini.

It's easier to adjust while alone, has an outward-facing front carry option if that's what you're looking for (but most babies don't give a hoot; even my ultra-friendly 11-month-old will ride happily facing in!) as well as hip & back-carry options.

Hope that helps!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

The Beco Gemini is AWESOME!!! My DS never liked the Ergo (even though I did) and he didn't care for the Beco Butterfly, either... he loves the Gemini and although I mostly wear him facing me, DH wears him facing out and he is always so happy in the carrier. It's definitely the best one we tried; I wore my big bubba for hours on end walking down cobbled streets in Europe where a stroller would have been a nightmare. Can't recommend it highly enough!

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    To get the back buckle fastened, slide the strap down until you can reach it by yourself. (Yes, the "chest strap" buckle slides down the straps. Play with it a bit to get a sense of what I'm talking about.)

Loosen the shoulder straps if necessary to get a hold on it. Re-tighten the straps once you've got your back-buckle fastened. (Pull the tails straight backwards; if you pull them forwards, they will not loosen because you're tugging on the middle piece of the buckle incorrectly.)
    You can also pull up the back strap to reach it. I always pulled it up. Not sure which is easier... I never even thought to pull it down like you would reach to buckle your bra.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

NOt to confuse things further, but I also love the Beco Butterfly for getting my little one on my back - so much easier with the safety harness! It doesn't face out, though. The Gemini and Pikkolo are both great for facing out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast