Default Ergo Performance Carrier?

I have been eyeing this specific Ergo because...I am a sucker for baby items (and household items too!) in lime green:

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=127903&

Has anyone had experience with the Ergo Performance Carrier? The description makes it seem like an ideal item for super outdoorsy people, which we are not, but we do plan to go on a lot of hikes once DS is a bit older (he is 3 months old) and otherwise plan to use it for trips to the beach, errands, trips to SF, travel, etc...Is this carrier just as good as the original Ergo or should I update our original Ergo with another original Ergo? TIA!

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had the organic black one with the pink and orange embroidery. Our son was born in July and we felt like it was just too hot. We bought the performance as soon as it came out. We got the grey but I like the green alot too, I saw it at WDW last week while we were there. The performance was great last week as it was around 75 degrees in Florida and we used that instead of our Beco. We're happy with our performance and I'd recommend it if you're planning to wear it outside in the warmer months for sure. It's not as bulky as the regular Ergo.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

I love our original ERGO. I tried the Performance and it definitely was cooler but the fit was very different. Not necessarily worse, but I wound up not keeping it and getting one of the new organic colors with our new baby. That being said, my friend LOVES her Performance even better than my origianl, so ymmv.

You can get a free mirror if you get the Peformance here: http://www.carrymeaway.com/item_776/...by-Carrier.htm

I've had good experiences with this company and they took my Performance back no questions asked.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Performance fabric is nylon and kind of glossy, with wick-away straps.

The padding on the straps isn't as bulky as the Original.

And, FWIW, I think the Performance would suit a more petite person better than the Original.

One caveat about the Performance, though, if you're currently using the hip belt extender, you should know that the Performance is NOT compatible with it because the buckles are different.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

thanks everyone--I think I will give it a try!

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure if you have found a better deal but we bought ours through www.babies1st.com with the discount code they always have on their website and got it for $114.
    DS1 July 2010
    DS2 November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kaharris83 View Post
    Not sure if you have found a better deal but we bought ours through www.babies1st.com with the discount code they always have on their website and got it for $114.
    I was actually going to just buy it at Buy Buy Baby for simplicity's sake because I could return without a problem if it doesn't work out. Quick question though--would you say that the Performance Carrier is just as comfy for a smaller baby...e.g., 4 months old as it is for a toddler? DS is 3 months old now and he never cared for the insert and is now too big to be carried with his legs sticking out one of the sides. In any case, just want to make sure that the Performance Carrier's different fabric doesn't somehow affect the baby's comfort level. Thanks!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by new_mom_mry View Post
    I was actually going to just buy it at Buy Buy Baby for simplicity's sake because I could return without a problem if it doesn't work out. Quick question though--would you say that the Performance Carrier is just as comfy for a smaller baby...e.g., 4 months old as it is for a toddler? DS is 3 months old now and he never cared for the insert and is now too big to be carried with his legs sticking out one of the sides. In any case, just want to make sure that the Performance Carrier's different fabric doesn't somehow affect the baby's comfort level. Thanks!
    The lining isn't scratchy in the Performance.

Frankly, the wicking fabric might make it MORE comfy since it will wick sweat way from both of you, keeping you cooler on hot days!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle