Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best structured carrier for a newborn?

I know there is a lot of love for wraps and slings, but like many first time moms I'm very nervous about using one with any baby and particularly a young infant. I've watched some of the videos and demonstrations on various wrap websites and I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable I'd done it correctly. Add in sleep deprivation....

In any case, I think I'd be much more comfortable with a soft structured carrier. I'm leaning towards the Beco Gemini as I would like a facing-out option for when the baby is older.

Anyone here have experience with a newborn in the Beco Gemini, or have other soft structured carriers you've used comfortably with a newborn?

kaharris83 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was nervous too. We bought a Beco Butterfly II(this was before Gemini was available), an Ergo with the Heart 2 Heart insert, and I got a Moby Wrap. Despite being nervous I did successfully use the Moby a few times while DS was very new(first 2 months). Since then I haven't really used it. Not because I didn't like it, I ended up loving it, but I had to exclusively pump for DS and for the first 3 months I was pumping every 2 hours. By the time I got all wrapped up and put the baby in it was time to pump again so it ended up being more of a hassle. Had we been successful at BFing I don't think I ever would have taken it off, it was comfortable for both DS and I. We used our Beco when DS was very little and needed an infant insert because we like the one built into the Beco more than we liked the H2H for the Ergo. DS was born in July and the H2H was just too hot. At 6 months we still use the Beco, but we're planning to take the Ergo to Disney next month to break it in. It's the Performance model so it will be cooler than the Beco. If the Gemini had been out when we got our carriers I would have probably purchased that instead of the Butterfly II.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would reccommend the Pikkolo, which I've been using since my DD was a few weeks old. You can cinch the base so it fits really tiny babies (best with their legs frogged) and wear it higher up on your body for smaller babes. Still using it with my 7 month old w/o a problem. Can be worn front or back, and facing you or outward when they're older.

Btw, have you visited thebabywearer.com forums? A very helpful and knowledgeable group of people there as well.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love my 2008 Beco Butterfly carrier, I started using it with DD2 (6lbs 3 oz at birth) right about 3 weeks so she was right about 8lbs then and I love it. It's only an inward facing carrier, but it's great for both front and back carries. I am still doing front carry only with DD2, but did lots of back carry with DD1 and loved it. If the Beco Gemini had been out in 2008 I most likely would've gotten that one because it has more options, but overall I do love my Butterfly and the quality of the Beco is excellent.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I'd suggest the Pikkolo or the new Becco Gemini. Natural Mom gear is a very nice and helpful website with a year long guarantee.

Catherine

I have the Beco Butterfly 2 and started using it at probably around 6 weeks. I tried using it when she was first born, and she didn't look comfortable (and I had the infant insert in). DD would nap in there quite often, and she still does. I can't comment on the Gemini but I do recommend Beco's in general... they seem very solidly built and I've never had any back problems/neck hurting, etc. from using them.

I can't speak to a SSC for a newborn as we did not start carrying DD until she was 5 months old. I had a Connecta and LOVED IT. For me, it was a matter of simplicty, speed and physical comfort.

I just wanted to say that I was like you, I just did not feel comfortable with the idea of a wrap. I tried and it just did not jive for us. I tried a sling once and DD HATED IT. Later, I would learn that DD hates to be mushed or confined or cozied in any way.

Lots of people will still encourage you to try the sling or the wrap. One woman I was acquainted with IRL who makes wraps basically scolded me one day when she saw our stroller (before we had the Connecta). I just wanted to say that I think it is great that you want to try babywearing and don't worry about the people who will try to talk you in to a wrap, even though you have clearly stated it's not for you. Our bodies are not all built the same, our babies are not all built the same and our handiness, skill levels, and lifestyles are not all the same.

Best of luck to you finding an SSC that works well for you! You have some great recommendations here!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Gemini is a wonderfully comfy carrier for mom and baby. I especially love that it can do back carries in addition to front carries, which extends the usefulness of the carrier to toddlerhood. (I think the Gemini is rated for back carries up to 35lbs, so that's a fair range!!!)

I tried it with my now-10-month old and was intrigued by the multi-carry options. If it had been out before she was born, I'd have registered for it AND my wrap, rather than the Ergo and the wrap.

Honestly, I love both the wrap and the Ergo for different reasons, so don't rule out wrap carriers. If you have the opportunity, check out the local groups section on TheBabyWearer website to see if you can meet up with other babywearers in your geographic area to learn how to use a wrap carrier. It's not as hard as you think it is! (I am a klutz and I can secure my daughter in our EllaRoo wrap in under 30 seconds.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I had a Beco 4th gen that I thought I loved and a Beco Butterfly which I positively hated. Then I tried an Ergo and there was no going back to the Beco. Sold the 4th gen and the Butterfly. I didn't like any of these when the babies were SMALL though - I liked a bjorn, and I don't believe the hanging from the crotch hype. I will admit the bjorn is not as kind on your back.

From what I have seen of the Gemini, it looks like the Ergo and the Bjorn had a love child. I am intrigured, but don't really need to buy a new carrier, as I have a bjorn and an ergo. But if I were starting from scratch I would totally give that a go.

I have also tried and hated - mei tais, Moby, ring sling, I think that's all.

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used my Pikkolo when my DD was about 6 weeks old. And I loved it then and love it now.

I first had a moby wrap but thought that was too big of a hassle plus she was born in June in the midwest so it was HOT! Then I did the Maya Wrap with DD sitting froggie but she didnt' like froggle style and was constantly trying to stand in it. And it hurt my shoulder having all the weight on one.

After reviews I got the Pikkolo and I love it, it is really comfortable on the wearers back and DD loves it as well.

We could have used the Pikkolo at birth but we just didn't find it until she was 6 weeks old or so.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast